Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 16 January 2014
I'd been curious about this movie for some time.

I do believe in God and I am very open minded and the truth is - I just didn't think this was a great movie.

Compared to other movies the director has made, I found this one to be the weakest one I've seen. It is pretty tedious in places. In some ways it seemed a bit like a TV movie. In other ways it was profound and I can understand how affected people are by it.

It wasn't offensive if you get with perspective of the author - but it might be hard for some Christians or people with strong views about Jesus to watch. It might be hard to put those convictions aside and just ponder the slant the writer of the book was taking. That is completely understandable and does not make those people wrong - unless you have issues with religion. Either way it requires an open mind.

In the end I just didn't think it was a great picture but it had a great cast - even David Bowie - and it was very thought provoking.

There was no great aim to make it authentic - all the actors are generally well known western actors and this is good in a way. You can detach what you perceive about Christ and watch it as another perspective.

But The Last Temptation of Christ is for me, not one of his finest works. Its a beautiful and ugly movie that does not fit together.

However - the soundtrack by Peter Gabriel - Passion - is utterly sublime. One of the best world music soundtracks of the time. Full of Middle Eastern and North African influences and superlative artists. Absolutely beautiful and evocative and I strongly recommend getting a copy of it.
on 4 July 2016
There was such a lot of controversy around this film when it was first released that I decided not to see it at the time.
Since then I have become a baptised Christian and I was curious to see what all the fuss was about. Plus I feel my faith is strong enough to be able to face any negativity that might be portrayed in the film. The opening statement that the story is not based on the events in the gospel puts the viewer in no doubt that they are watching something contrary to the gospel accounts. Therefore the viewer is prepared to be challenged at the outset.
It deals mainly with the humanity of Jesus and how most of us feel about the prospect of the Crucifixion. It is such a barbaric and cruel death that our humanity rails against it.
It raises many good discussion points, the humanity/Divinity of Christ and issues regarding Christ's betrayal by Judas. For example, the often asked question, can Judas be forgiven if he was so necessary to the Salvation of mankind? The Divine Jesus must have known all along that Judas would betray Him. The Temptation sequence is just that, it is not real. This film enhanced my faith and made me love Jesus more.
The beautiful music score enhances the visual images.
on 13 February 2017
Very surreal at times, but held my attention throughout. I'd recommend
on 22 January 2011
Martin Scorses considered becoming a Roman Catholic priest as a young man but on reading "The Last Temptation of Christ" by a 5th century Greek (I assume) Nikos Kazantakis he did not do so and became a very successful film director. The book changed the course of Scorses's life. This film might change the course of your life or at least stimulate fruitful debate in fruitful minds?
on 18 August 2013
The first time I watched this film I was under the influence of psychedelics and I'll admit that it freaked me out. I've since always intended to watch it again in a straighter frame of mind to properly appreciate it. Well I finally have and I'm glad I did.

To my mind this a superior film to the much later Passion of the Christ, it doesn't try to tell a historical story, or repeat the gospel, instead it tells the spiritual journey. Whether you are a believer or not it stands as a fascinating story.

The film tells of Jesus and the torment that he experiences as he tries to understand his place in God's scheme. It shows the background of his life and what he tried to do. What is does well is show the human side to the story.

The film itself is well made, the performances (especially those of Jesus and Judas) are very well done, in places its a bit theatrical, but that works in context. It could have done with a tighter edit, the film does feel like it dragged a bit, but not excessively so.

Overall it's an interesting film to watch.
on 9 December 2000
Martin Scorsese's "Last Temptation Of Christ" has everything a banned movie should have. With recent re-releases such as "Clockwork Orange" and the "Exorcist", the LTOC really hits home. Still as shocking as it was back in 1988, this film will leave you wondering why it was even given a re-release in the first place. Willem Dafoe presents a very ordinary Jesus who's only resemblence at times is a beard and Harvey Keitel and Barabra Hershey add some acting credability, except for the fact that their screen time is not in relevance to the film's overall length.
Whatever religion, creed or colour you come from the LTOC will go against whatever version of the Gospel you've heard. To put it simply, it isn't anything close to the versions in the bible. With stunning visionary sequences and filming Scorsese focuses in on thought and morals with spectaclular scenery shot in Morocco.
The film depicts certain instances as they might have been, especially when Christ throws the money lenders out of the temple. This sequence contains all the realism, action and dirction that he is so famous for.
The last 40 mins which includes the sex scene with Christ and Mary Magdelen would be disturbing to any devote Catholic or Christian. Being of Catholic origin myself, I find the whole crucifixion scene itself to be the most disturbing of all. The scene where Christ rips out his heart and holds it to a crowd has to be seen to be believed and is definitely one of the highlights.
Paul Schrader's dialogue at times loses it's way how Scorsese's magnificent, passioned and personal filmaking makes up for this.
Impressive as a whole, the LTOC is a must-see for any crazed movie lover who loves to see what the fuss was all about. Recent banned material was interesting to say the least, TLTOC will be remembered and talked about for many more years to come.
This film is 'The Greatest Story Never Told'.
The film looks great on DVD, the extras however hold slightly less appeal as there is only a trailer.
However, make sure you see it.
(Oh, and look out for Juliet Caton - a friend of mine who's now 25 who plays Christ's angel. In a way its Juliet who could be held responsible for Christ's last temptation!).
on 10 November 2001
It is very odd that this movie is rated 18 years or older. There is no harm in it at all, unless, except, for the extremely narrowminded.
Scorcese's film gives an interesting and moving impression of Jezus' life, with miracles and all. I would not have minded an even more human rendering, capturing the insight and feeling that God is to be found everywhere also in human beings, and that we don't need extreme deviations of everyday life to come to realize this. But if the present verion is already shocking for quite a few a film like that would be hard to get financed.
Highly recommeded, much better than the fairytale J.C. SuperStar. Looking forward to Scorcese's movie on Franciscus life...
on 28 September 2008
This film is probably the most tedious and self indulgent load of drivel I have ever seen. The characters are unbelievable and impossible to empathise with and i write as someone who enjoys media experiences which deal with faith and enjoy films which deal with the more controversial aspects - in contrast, I feel the film 'Priest' was more disturbing but which dealt with issues I could relate to and is a film which I now rate as one of my favourites. I fail to understand the point of this Scorsese disaster. My overwhelming question after watching it was '...what was the point?'. If I had watched it in a theatre I would have walked out - not out of disgust or due to having my faith insulted, but out of sheer boredom. I think this film should most certainly have been banned - for insulting the intelligence of the targeted audience.
on 5 February 2012
I had been curious of this film for ages and obtained it to find out what it was actually all about having seen excerpts and had heard some controversy over the years about it. Even as a non-religious and thinking Christian, I wanted to view it openly and unbiasedly to observe and pick up anything interesting from someone else's viewpoint. I wasn't even offended by it .....because it was totally meaningless, purposeless, nonsensical, unreal and painfully disjointed. I couldn't believe Martin Scorsese could have made such twaddle. He should have used his talents on making another film about somebody else. What a waste of money making it and for me buying it!
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2015
It is an interesting biopic and well-made, but is controversial because Scorsese make a lot of inaccuracies about historical figure Jesus Christ who is played very well by Willem Dafoe.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse