Severin 117803 Popcorn Maker, White
Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: White|Change

on 22 October 2012
I bought the Severin specifically to roast small batches of green coffee beans, after some web and forum research. It works admirably - 70gms of beans require an eight minute roast to reach the main 'crack'. I normally roast a second batch immediately after the first. The machine appears to have survived four Kg of beans so far.
I know the manufacture did not design this machine for roasting, but its a good and inexpensive way into the delights of fresh roast coffee. Only wish I had discovered this decades ago!
Hot roasting beans do pop out, the device has a rubbish top which suffers from the continuous heat, but providing it is not overfilled, and the quantity of beans are carefully measured, only a few are lost. I place my machine on a slight tilt with a stainless steel bowl in front. The final beans go straight into my Krups grinder.
With careful web sourcing the savings from buying your first batch of green coffee beans over ready roasted should pay for your Severin. I always roast in an outhouse, never indoors.

Being forewarned over the euro plug, I just cut it off and wired in a UK one.

Excellent price and service from Amazon.
on 11 May 2010
DON'T buy this with the recommended shaver adapter - it comes with a 1 Amp fuse which will blow as soon as you turn it on. Otherwise it has so far worked really well although it does have a tendancy to push out quite a few unpopped kernels with the first few that pop.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 May 2017
I use this mainly for roasting coffee beans and it does a great job. And yes, also great for making Popcorn!
on 25 May 2017
You can roast coffee with it, after 6 minutes plastic on top starts to melt. Did not try popcorn.
on 29 April 2016
I've been roasting coffee successfully in this popcorn maker for about 3 months now so feel qualified to give some opinions & suggestions.
After reading through all the reviews I did some experimenting with alternatives to the standard plastic lid (which soon becomes distorted with the heat, they say) & came to the following conclusions:
1. A baked bean tin doesn't fit well unless you make substantial adaptations - not satisfactory.
2. A standard flat sink strainer fits beautifully on top but bounces round - needs weighing down with something heatproof, You can't see the beans easily & it's very hot to handle. Possible but not ideal.
3. A rolled-up piece of oven liner can be used but needs cuts to be made in the lower edge for ventilation so that the beans can circulate. It works but not ideal.
4. A small semi-circular mesh strainer can be used but a lot of beans escape round the edges however tightly you ram it on top. Not satisfactory.
5. A standard rectangle of plastic grill mesh (used for oven chips, toasties etc.) is the best solution so far.
Roll the rectangle up tightly so that it will fit in the top like a chimney. Start up the machine & pour in up to 80gm of beans. You may find that the beans fail to circulate so pull the chimney up about 1cm until they start to swirl round. Do not let the beans sit without circulating as they will soon start to smoke & burn. Slowly pull the chimney up a little more if necessary & angle it to one side slightly until the beans are circulating freely. Most of the chaff blows away with this method (which is what you want) but the beans do not escape unless you pull the chimney up too far.

For safety's sake, do the roasting outside & stay nearby - occasionally a bit of chaff glows red & has the potential to cause a fire. Also, the chaff makes a lot of mess as it's blowing about. I find a stirring stick useful to get the beans going & I keep an oven glove handy.

I used this method today on a cold April morning (hailstorm halfway through so had to bring the machine just inside the door). it was about 5min till first crack. I turned the machine off at about 13min as the beans had turned a pleasing medium to dark brown. I like to put the roaster in a box as it helps to keep the ambient temperature higher in cold weather.

As soon as the beans have cooled, I vacuum pack & then freeze them in small quantities, taking them out a couple of days before I need them & storing them in a vacuum container in the cupboard.
on 19 July 2017
Bought this as many do to roast some coffee and I'm more than happy. Only mod made was to cut the top and bottom off of a can of beans clean it up and drop it in the top. The can fits perfectly in the chute which holds the can in place, this in turn keeps the beans from jumping out. I roasted outside and second cracked was at about 6 min, at this point I removed the can and chute with some tongs and dumped the beans in a sieve to cool down. Next I plan to remove the bottom to allow a little more air flow as it was a little to efficient at heating.
on 21 September 2017
Well I hope I love it for roasting coffee. Some one else had an amazon order so they bought it to save on postage costs. Thought this photo might interest people. The can I used isn't too bad a fit around the metal container in it as well. I thought I would try it like this first as a Mk1. I did wonder about attaching directly to the metal container in it but this is spring loaded and held down by the top part. The can used doesn't weigh enough to keep it fully down. Also suspect it will be handy to be able to remove the can initially to stir the beans around. ;-) It's not bad for freeze dried coffee.
Have done my first roast. Not bad most 2nd crack and a few just first. Had to stir the beans initially to keep them moving. Around 75gm as held in the scoop that comes with it. After a few 2nd cracks I switched off and stirred the beans which resulted in more 2nd cracks. I may try doing the same thing on the first crack and the switching it on again. Not the right thing to do according to web law but I suspect that it will help to obtain a more even roast as the beans retain the heat for some time.
review image
on 28 November 2016
Home made coffee roaster! Several other have done this already, but I have made some modifications and they work a treat. You can now roast indoors without the mess. I cut a 65mm hole in the bottom of an old saucepan and soldered together a tube of perforated grill (see photos). I have since added some self tapping screws to the tube as the heat weakens the solder. I put a dome over the top made of one half of an old rice boiling container. Roasted the beans for 14 minutes....perfect
review image review image review image
on 18 March 2011
It arrived promptly, complete with a UK adapter. I bought it for roasting coffee beans which I brought back from Kilimanjaro. It works well for this, five to six minutes seems ideal for 85g of green beans. The unit looks robust and is reasonably quiet. I have not tried making popcorn in it.
0Comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 December 2010
This popcorn maker looked stylish, however has a few drawbacks,
1.Takes sometime to heat up.
2. Spews out alot of "unpopped "corn.
3.Capacity is not huge.
HOWEVER....the popped corn produced makes up for the few niggly faults i.e " YUMMY" and none of the corn are overcooked or burnt.