on 29 June 2016
This drama is well cast and the acting great. Beautiful scenery of the Dorset countryside.

I remember struggling through the book at school, and didn't enjoy it much. But in this DVD form, it holds the attention and engages the heart and mind. Like others of Hardy's stories in film, it draws you in and makes you think. You can't help debating the issues he raises. The characters are fascinating and all too human, and the viewer becomes engaged in their conflicts. Nobody is completely bad and nobody is completely good either. All the characters have depth and a common humanity that the viewer can't hep but relate to.

Fascinating and compelling, but not easy casual light viewing.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 June 2016
I had watched this series when it was first shown, and I'd honestly forgotten how good it was!
It sticks closely to the novel-dialogue, sequence of events etc. As this is one of my favourite books, I 'd have noticed any omissions/ deviations.
The actors were excellent- both those playing the main characters, and those portraying the 'rustics'-who brought a touch of humour to the series.
Special mention for Natasha Little's performance as the tragic Fanny Robin-very much as I would have imagined the character to be.
I shall watch this series again, many times.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2017
For many years I've admired the Julie Christie - Alan Bates version of this tale and considered it to be the definitive version. In the Paloma Baeza - Nathaniel Parker film we have a strong challenger. Baeza is convincing in the difficult role of Bathseba and Parker provides the required stoicism and patience. I prefer 'Far from the madding crowd' over Hardy's grimmer works since the hero and heroine enjoy a happy ending in spite of the trials and tragedies along the away. Wonderful entertainment.
on 24 August 2013
How that man understood country life at the latter end of the 1800s and the hardships suffered by folk then. I found this production of Far From the Madding Crowd more pleasing than than the Julie Christie one and Tess of the d'Urbervilles very well done. But nothing eclipses the Olivier/Oberon version of Wuthering Heights. A good buy for the money!
8 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2014
Must confess I didn't realise that these were really series and I sat down to watch Madding Crowd as if it was a 2 h film ( couldn't see any time lengths on the box). Realised after 1 1/2 h that something was up as nowhere near the end of the story! Anyway they were much better than I was expecting - yet to see Wuthering Heights. I bought more for friends as were so good and excellent value.
4 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2013
I was hooked from the first moments. This is a beautiful story of faithful and selfless love as well as of love that needs time to develop, grow, strengthen and know its own mind. How seldom does the former last long enough for the latter to mature..

The cast of the production is excellent: marvellous Paloma Baeza, who is beautiful and enchanting, and who changes with time, circumstances, people around her; superb Nathaniel Parker, who is absolutely irresistible as the honourable and steadfast Oak, but also Jonathan Firth, Nigel Terry, Linda Bassett..

The music is haunting, the dialogue true to Hardy's novel, it is beatifully shot. I wish the dvd would include some extras (it does not) like interviews with the cast or some material about Hardy, that would make it perfect!
3 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2016
wuthering heights was chillingly disturbing, watch madding yest, wonderful hours of entertainment and looking forward to the last film on there. it goes a little wibbly from time to time at the top of screen, yet to work out if it is dvd or maybe our player is starting to malfunction..things don't last 5 minutes these days!
on 1 March 2013
A tale of three men falling under the spell of the same woman. I thought Paloma Baeza played her part well as the spirited yet vunerable Bathsheba Everdene. Sergeant Frank Troy, a real cad, you will despise him! Gentleman farmer Mr Boldwood's part had real feeling, leading ultimately to the tragedy in the story.
Coupled with Gabriel Oak, the faithful shepard, who throughout, acts like a guide for the viewer througout the story. I enjoyed this adaptation, having accepted some licence from the original book.
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2016
Far From the Madding crowd is performed and filmed with skill. It sticks to the story which is probably Hardie's best. The other films are also up to the same level.
on 9 September 2015
I have watched this ITV version so many time. I love the novel and also have watched the original version and the latest film now out too. I still think this one is the most true to the book out of the three. Gorgeous. Enjoy!