on 26 April 2017
Hammer studios version of the classic film starring Herbert Lom, Brilliant film filled with wonderful performances RECCOMENDED
on 26 July 2014
'Final Cut' are to be congratulated for issuing this film and giving it a second lease of life. When it was first issued in 1962 my only reservation was that is was toned down because of the need to give it an 'A' certificate instead of an 'X', but despite this, it has proved to be a film that has stood the test of time.

Along with 'Shadow of the Cat' (also from 'Final Cut'), this is the first time this film has been released on DVD in the UK, and both releases are to be thoroughly welcomed. Any chance, of 'The Snorkel' another under-rated gem of a 'Hammer' film being released? Currently this is only available as part of a six 'Hammer Icons of Suspense' set from the States.

I note that some reviewers have moaned about the 'Blue Ray' disc not being very good. I can't comment on this since I bought the ordinary DVD which I found to be a very acceptable print. This film is 53 years old for God sake, and I am left feeling that some people don't make any allowances, and expect things to be as pristine as something that was made yesterday. To anyone seeking this film therefore, I would recommend buying it without any hesitation whatsoever. It's the best copy I have ever had, and far superior to any legit VHS copies or any bootleg DVD's that have been through my hands over the years!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 August 2015
This is a great version of "Phantom of the Opera" by Hammer Horror, and the five stars are for the film, i can't bring myself to give it any less, but sadly the Blu-ray picture quality has not been the best I have seen, it gets 3/5 from me. There has been better releases, especially films like "Twins of Evil" and one of my personal best "Dracula" which are ten times better than this. But still, I am happy i own this brilliant film on Blu-ray, better than nothing I suppose.

***BLU-RAY FEATURES***
The Making of Phantom of the Opera
Stills Gallery
Subtitles for the deaf
=and hard of hearing
Region "B"
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Mono 2.0 PCM
review image review image review image review image
on 17 January 2016
Phantom of the Opera (1962) Blu-Ray ...
Herbert Lom this movie I saw alone with my two sister and a host of neighboring kids, we all walked across the John C. Lodge Expressway. We walk two blocks to 3rd Street& Canfield at the Midtown Theater. Which I saw for the first time a real good movie -
Phantom of the Opera (1962) Blu-Ray ...
Herbert Lom

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 October 2011
The Phantom of the Opera is out of Hammer Film Productions and directed by Terence Fisher. Based on the Gaston Leroux novel, the screenplay is written by John Elder and it stars Herbert Lom, Heather Sears, Edward de Souza and Michael Gough. Filmed in Eastman Color, cinematography is by Arthur Grant and music by Edwin Astley.

The latest opera production of Joan of Arc is beset with problems, prompting many to believe it's the work of a mysterious phantom who haunts those involved with the show.

It has been the basis for a number of adaptations, the Leroux novel's core story proving to be fascinating enough to prompt writers, film makers and musical directors to produce their take on it. Of the film versions, it's still the Lon Chaney silent of 1925 that carries the highest horror value, but for style and substance I feel Hammer's version is the best of the bunch. Fisher's film is played wonderfully straight, the production is given much care and consideration, but in the main the makers let the story sell itself. The characters remain interesting and in the case of the phantom himself, he smartly gets a back story shown late in the day amid off-kilter camera angles. This really gives the film a dramatic thrust as it heads into the finale, where the pay off is exciting and emotionally tight (one of the finest tear sheds in cinema is right here).

A voice so wonderful that theatres all over the world will be filled with your admirers.

Cast wise the film is led superbly by Lom's performance as the sad and tragic phantom. Lom manages to elicit sympathy with minimal dialogue and pure body language, giving this phantom an irresistible vulnerability that hits home hard as the film closes down. Around him it's Gough who is having the most fun playing villain of the piece Ambrose D'Arcy, and he does it well. De Souza is adequate as love interest Harry Hunter, but Sears, whilst certainly pretty and a decent actress, lacks believability in the scenes shared with the phantom. Note worthy is a quality cameo that comes from Patrick Troughton; even if it does make us hanker for more of him in the picture.

Fisher's direction is tight and smooth, if lacking some of the camera flourishes that other Hammer films have benefited from. While Grant's Eastman Color photography adds a zest to the period flavouring by bringing the well designed sets to the fore. Astley's music is standard genre stuff, but easy listening for sure. Bonus is to hear Toccata and Fugue in D minor, it's now disputed as to if it actually was composed by Johann Sebastian Bach, but regardless it's a haunting piece of organ music that has the power to induce chills down the old spinal cord area. Particularly when used location wise as it is here.

A lovely adaptation of the source, Hammer's version may not be as horror based as some would like, but it more than makes up for that with style, substance and a quality turn from the leading man. 8/10
55 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2014
Hammer horror blu-rays always seem to divide opinion. A significant number of releases now have attracted a wide range of responses from "unwatchable" to "Outstanding". This release itself is now causing significant controversy and ironically this time its not because of the aspect ratio or whether it is 1080i or 1080p. The casual viewer or less "techy" of Hammer fans would perhaps not be as concerned so much with this, but rather whether it was decent PQ. So I will come at this release from that angle.....

Hammer's Phantom Of the Opera has not had the best history on home physical release with previous region 1 and 2 dvds looking a bit rough around the edges. Personally I was looking forward to this on Blu-ray and I had high hopes for a more colourful and sharper presentation as one would expect from a HD release at this stage. Is this that release? sadly no.
Initially my exact thoughts were Underwhelming and disappointing, and I still maintain that. The image is quite soft and not that well defined for HD and the colours remain dull (possibly down to the original cinematography, I don't know). There is some print damage, and some would argue higher levels of grain to one is accustomed to.
This all sound s negative, but you have to put this into perspective. The dvd was never that great and the negative or print must be in poorer shape now than it was a few years ago. I would assume a lot of money would have to be spent in order to restore this, and sadly I don't think that will ever happen.

All these things considering, It really isn't as bad as some are making out. On my second viewing I came to appreciate the Blu-ray more, because my expectations were adjusted. Its perfectly watchable and for those that owned the dvd prior I don't think its in any poorer state than that, if anything is a little more defined but only just. Would I recommend this to those that already own the dvd? probably not, but for first time buyers of this film then I cant see a reason why you shouldn't buy the Blu-ray. If you are a fan of hammer horror and haven't seen Phantom, then I would certainly recommend it, light on scares but is still one of Hammer's great gothics.
on 18 November 2013
I've not seen every version of The Phantom of the Opera so I cannot pass judgment if Hammer's effort is indeed the best on offer. What I can say is that for 85 minutes I was entertained. In general I love Hammer films though there are still too many that promise much and pail off towards the end. Kiss of the Vampire and The Reptile as examples.
But I feel Phantom keeps you glued to the movie, even if you can guess what will happen at the finale.

The Phantom himself is played by the great Herbert Lom, who gives a stunning performance acting with one eye. His presence is felt and it is the subtle movements he makes that gives the film its menace. Michael Gough is also wonderful as the crooked and downright evil Ambrose D'Arcy. Thorley Walters is here too as is Heather Sears as the opera singer. Edward de Souza plays the producer- and he just about pulls off the role. There are some subtle comedy moments and this is a typically gothic entry from Hammer.

Watch out for a tasty gore scene and cameos from stalwarts like Peter Troughton and a very tiny one from the excellent Michael Ripper as the taxi man.

It seems that reviews for the film are mixed on here. I have no idea why, I thought this was a Hammer classic, and is well deserved of its 5 stars.
on 25 August 2014
remember watching it as a very young boy and being very frightened, watching it now i understand why i was frightened but now really appreciate what a good film it is and what a good story it is. Enjoyed the extras on the DVD as well
on 10 October 2010
When released in 1962 Hammers version of this famous tale was intended to be an 'X' Certificate so they were horrified (no pun intended) when informed that it was to be part of a double-feature with the 'A' Rated 'Captain Clegg' (aka 'Night Creatures') for its British theatrical release. Two scenes were lost to British audiences-- the dispatching of Patrick Troughton's rat-catcher by The Dwarf (quick but very nasty) and the Phantom tearing off his mask to the stunned audience. Both these scenes are on this DVD version and add some much-needed grislyness to the film. I personally quite enjoyed the movie, given it's bad reputation, it wasn't as bad as I feared. Herbert Lom is excellent as the Phantom and deserves far more credit for his performance. Horror stalwart Michael Gough also scores highly as a truly repulsive character and the sets and costumes are worthy of mention. This DVD, although Dutch, WILL play on Region 2 players so no worries there. The picture quality isn't the best it has to be said (it's rather grainy) but the sound is adequate and the film itself is definitely worth a look for Hammer fans, particularly as this DVD contains the more contentious moments that, when removed, ruined the original theatrical release in the first place.
on 11 December 2014
Unfortunately, the transfer did not meet my expectations. I'm not sure what was used for the transfer. If it was an Interpositive (I.P.) it should have looked a lot better. It had a tendency to look muddy and murky. Compared to MGM's transfer of "Hound of the Baskervilles",which is excellent and taking into account that "Hound" and "Phantom" were photographed by two different cameramen, the difference was day and night.