Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 August 2003
"Genius" is a term often used, but rarely does the artist really qualify. Twenty four year old Hiromi is one of the few artists I have ever seen and heard that truly fits the bill. Her keyboard skills are phenomenal. Her composition is fresh, original, exciting, steeped in melody and energy. The album mixes jazz, blues, funk, classical and rock into a sumptious blend of beautiful music. It's very accessible, with a modern approach, all tracks beautifully produced and recorded "live" with no overdubs over two days in September 2002. Honestly, you'd have to be dead not to enjoy this.
Five tracks are recorded as a trio (with brilliant bass and drum provided by musicians of great class and skill), two add sax and guitar to the format, and the final track is a funny / sad solo piece.
She has just played her first ever UK gigs at the Brecon Jazz Festival, where she must have been unknown to nearly everyone, but had the audience providing endless standing ovations and cheering, whooping and hollering like demons. They loved her (her album sold out from the festival after her first performance of three), and she was genuinely overjoyed at the response. She's a joy to watch, an artist who obviously loves to play and thrives on the response of the audience. For the future: three tracks played at the festival are not on this album, and they're as good / better!
This girl will be a world star, no doubt, and this album is likely to be revered in years to come.
I'm not a jazzer, per se, I just love great music. Anyone with an ounce of love for the creation of wonderful music should seriously consider picking this up, soon!
Amazing CD! Own it, love it, see her play!
on 11 March 2004
I have just listened to this album for the second time this morning and it just gets better and better. I first saw and heard her at last years Brecon Jazz Festival in a trio setting.
Hiromi may be small in stature but her talent and energy is enormous. She demonstrates her ability to play a variety of styles in this album as well as the ability to change rhythm and tempo within a track. She is ably backed by Mitch Cohn on bass and Dave DiCenso on drums to make up the trio even though the sound generated seems to belong to a larger group. Guest artists play guitar and alto sax on a couple of the tracks which add to the richness of this album.
Her style ranges from fast and furious to almost classical in an Oscar Peterson (one of her heroes) way. In addition she is not afraid to explore.
The Brecon Jazz programme described her as "The next great pianist in contemporary music..." which says it all. She was worth every minute of the standing ovation at Brecon. Definitely one to watch.
on 14 December 2013
This is a superb jazz album with just about every musical genre thrown into the mix. For sheer virtuosity alone you would be hard put to find its equal. Hiromi's keyboard dexterity and imagination is quite staggering and she is matched by the furious drumming of 'on fire' Dave diCenso driving it all forward. XYZ is a pile-driver of an opener, leading into the amazing 'Double Personality' featuring Jim Odgren's alto saxophone(not my favourite musical instrument)but here performed with a suitably jaunty style which fits perfectly, followed by a tour-de-force piano onslaught with a rapidly rising crescendo. 'Dancando no Paraiso' is Michel Camilo on speed, and the proceedings climax with Hiromi's solo on 'The Tom and Jerry Show' which is worth the album price alone. Definitely one for your collection.
on 6 October 2012
I am certain that any Jazz fan could not fail to be amazed by her technical skill and incredible feel when playing piano, and would recomend this CD Another Mind by Hiromi Uehara.
Hiromi is to be regarded with the best of the greats and should sit along side Oscar Peterson in your Jazz collection as she does in mine. I feel that one of her dvds should also be on your TO BUY list, as you need to see her play to believe what you hear...
on 30 September 2009
I was really satisfied with this album and it more than lived up to my expectations after being recommended Hiromi by my jazz piano teacher. She is, with no doubt, a virtuoso jazz pianist of the highest calibre and a truly inspirational musician.

Many of the pieces are frenetically fast and have a real energy about them and take you on exciting journeys that don't follow predictable paths. I bought this album on the strength of seeing 'The Tom and Jerry Show' on You Tube and it is worth buying just for this track alone. All the tracks are very impressive and worth repeated listens and I can see it's an album that will grow on me. The only track I'm not keen on is 010101 (Binary System) with its very harsh and brash keyboard sound, but she does contrast this with some amazing piano moments within that piece. I would very much recommend the album and am looking forward to discovering more of her music.
on 9 July 2003
the first track is amazing, and the rest of the album is the same!! sometimes the anti-beat is like water flowing uphill, it's that good. totally recommended
on 24 January 2011
I bought this album based on how much I enjoyed the 'Tom and Jerry show' track I'd heard on the radio and on YouTube. I hadn't realised that this track was actually a bonus one on this CD so the rest of the album wasn't quite in the same style! It is still enjoyable but with hindsight I might have bought Hiromi's 'Beyond Standard' album which I was considering alongside this one. That's next on my list now!
on 13 June 2016
A first album by a pianist destined to become a major jazz superstar. Stunning technique and imaginative compositions.
on 10 June 2003
And since I payed twice, I believe I am entitled to a few more words, hehehehe: I love it, my GF loves it, my father loves it, my mother loves it and my granny can't hear (but she is missing out on something!). I recommend this album. (to whom it may concern: two marinas are better than one :))
on 28 April 2003
Close your eyes and buy: this is truly a piece of Art! Hiromi is fantastic, I am looking forward for the next one.