VINE VOICEon 1 August 2003
I needed to replace a BT Diverse 2010, so the Diverse 4010 seemed like the obvious choice.
It comes with the now expected features, like Caller ID, but there are a couple of novel touches I really liked.
You get two handsets with this model, so I was expecting to have to enter all the numbers I wanted to remember, in both. Not so. You enter the numbers on one phone and you can them send them as a group, or individually to the other phone.
You can also use both handsets independantly of the base station, so they become walkie talkies. Not something you'd use all the time, but a nifty feature all the same.
It also allows you to send/receive text messages. You have to be signed up for Caller ID to get this features, but I wanted Caller ID anyway ( no more calls from double glazing salesmen from now on ). I'll hardly ever use the phone to send text messages, but it's handy knowing I can send a quick text if I misplace my mobile, or it runs out of credit.
In use, the phone is very similar to a mobile ( it's built by Siemens, who make mobiles, so that's understandable ), even down to having melodies for the handset, instead of the bog standard ringing. The features are all menu driven, so anyone with a mobile phone with find it really easy to use the phone.
Overall, apart from a couple of minor niggles ( the keys feel a little too 'rubbery' for my liking ) it's a cracking phone. All calls are crystal clear and the range is more than enough to move around my house and garden, without losing the conversation.
I'd recommend this phone to anyone who is looking for a DECT phone, especially if they're text fiends.
on 15 September 2003
When buying a DECT phone, I wanted handsfree, intercom, the ability to grow the number of handsets, and of course good, clear communications. The Diverse 4010 excels at all of these. However, its myriad features are wrapped up in the nastiest, slowest user interface ever devised. Those of you used to the convenience and accessibility of Nokia phones will be as disappointed and as befuddled as I was.
The rubbery keys are an ergonomic nightmare, sometimes not responding to the heaviest of pushes, and the phone's convoluted interface has a real job keeping up. You don't breeze through its options, more trudge through them, cursing each step of the way. Additionally, many of the phone's neater features are buried deep down, and as the menuing system is as intuitive as the cockpit of an F-18, you end up forgetting how to find them and then simply not using them.
This is my second DECT phone and I've not yet found a product that meets the high standards set by mobile phone manufacturers. And I'm in a state of wonderment as to why the likes of Nokia or Siemens stay clear from the DECT market -- is there something we don't know? Without doubt, they'd sweep aside second-rate products like the Diverse 4010 in an instant, and we'd all have decent mobile phones at home as well as on the move.
If you're a Nokia lover, or just into your gadgets, the hopelessly backward interface, slow response times and squishy, zero-feedback keys, will make the veins stand proud of your forehead each time you come to use the Diverse. My advice is to shop around and try a range of other products before making your decision. You will, I promise, be seriously disappointed if you don't. These ain't mobile phones for the home, they're regular phones without wires -- stuck in a technological and ergonomic timewarp, and without any sign of catching up.