Format: DVD|Change
Price:£15.39+ £1.26 shipping

on 4 January 2010
I won't review the film itself as it's been done so many times before, and it's a given that it's a modern sci-fi classic. So, my comments are on the blu-ray itself...

I've seen this film loads of times over the years, and have bought the video and dvd versions of it in the past. Quite simply, this blu-ray blows all previous versions away! I didn't realise until I saw this version quite how much detail I've been missing from the film. The clarity is astonishing, the sharpness excellent, and the colour and overall picture vibrancy superb when compared to previous dvd/vhs editions. The daylight scenes in particular are remarkable, as is the dusk scene in the desert that focuses on the amazing Linda Hamilton - every striation and vein is visible on her unbelievable arms/shoulders. The action scenes too are fantastic, with explosions lighting up the screeen like never before. A word of caution though - great as this edition is, if you've been brought up on blu-rays such as Casino Royale, Transformers, Terminator Salvation etc, then you may not be as impressed. It cannot compete with these new films that were filmed and produced with blu-ray very much in mind. Also, some fx shots early in the film show their age a little bit - the future war machines are more obviously than ever miniatures, and the Arnie stunt double on the motorbike is borderline distracting. However, this is by far the best this film has ever looked.
As for the audio, again, it's superb. A DTS 6.1 soundtrack that will sound awesome on any half-decent surround system. Another upgrade over the dvd.

The only reason I gave this 4, rather than 5, stars is because of the extras. They are just annoying. I don't think it's possible to watch any of them on their own - you have to watch "Picture-in-picture" while the film is running. That is just distracting, whether you are trying to watch the film or the extras. Why they couldn't make the extras viewable on their own I don't know. Probably saving that for the next, inevitable ultimate edition.

But for now, in conclusion, if you want to see this film in the best possible way, then this is the version to get. And if you've only seen it on dvd or vhs before, then you're in for a real treat.
on 12 January 2002
On disc 1 when you come to the menu, type 82997 (8/29/97 Judgement day) and you get another menu which offers two deleted scenes, the alternate ending and T1000 searching johns room, I liked the alternate ending better than the original. I hope I have helped you get more from your dvd.
22 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2011
I have just spent several hours of my life exploring this blu-ray release. I have a top notch sound system and a big expensive telly and movies are my hobby. This is a cracker. One of my favourite movies in full 1080p glory with a hd soundtrack that will leave you, and your neighbours, hearing the bass rumble of the harley in your sleep. The picture quality is astonishing. I never knew that Arnie had a hairy chest in the early bar scene until I watched this disc. Other scenes benefit from increased clarity, like where the processor in Arnie's head is surgically removed by Sarah. The blood-smeared metal skull looks more convincing, the squelchy sound of the scalp being peeled back is all the more stomach churning. Off-screen noises increase that feeling of immersion. I could track the sound of a hunter-killer over my right shoulder coming to the front right speaker then onto the screen then off onto the left front speaker then off-screen and exiting the sound stage over my left shoulder. I actually called a fellow movie-geek to come over to see that bit. The highlight, for me, was the scene where Sarah was rattling the wire fence at the kids playground as the firestorm wreaked destruction. I could feel the hot blast of skin-shrivelling air. This is a great action movie presented brilliantly.
The menu system for me was a bit slow to load but no biggy. The extras were good but not really important to me.
The extended special final directors cut with added scenes approved by the cleaner or whatever it is requires the date of judgement day to be entered as a password. For those not as geeky as me, the code is on the case. The extra scenes, especially the ones involving Kyle, are truly relevant and I cannot believe they were cut from the original film.
Like Spielberg (for he is blessed) I believe you should watch a movie with a bucket of popcorn and be entertained. I was truly entertained by this blu-ray. Its a movie I have seen many times but I am happy to have shelled out my hard-earned cash for this. You should too.
on 3 July 2014
I'm not going to go into detail on the content of this excellent Blu Ray presentation mainly because I will be covering old ground already well trodden in previous reviews.

I will say that from what I saw of the movie last night during a small test, the picture quality is just stunning, and I do mean stunning. I first saw this movie in 1991 and went back for repeats quite a few times. I then bought the VHS sell through and later DVD that improved on the grainy VHS. I have to say that the set up I am using now, a 50" LG Plasma TV and Samsung BD-C5500 player, rendered a picture that was better than the cinema release, in fact, better than being there and seeing it being filmed. You can see the most minute detail, hairs, stubble, faint creases and marks on clothing and even see mm sized scratches on John Connors cash card machine readout!

The sound is excellent, the menu set up and animations are wonderful too and add to the overall feel of the experience. A very good disc for the Judgement Day fans as you get two versions too, theatrical and special edition.

Do yourself a favour and get one for this price.
on 25 August 2009
At the time of purchase I found 17 quid a bit steep for an 18 year old film being released on Blu-Ray for the second time! Nevertheless it has been one of the best buys of this year for my collection. Warned off by negative reviews I did not buy the previous transfer, so I cannot compare, but can confirm that this release has phenomenal sound (6.1 DTS HD Master Audio) and very good picture quality, particularly in close-ups. It contains 3 versions on one disc via seamless branching (why, oh why can't all BDs with multiple cuts have this?). The best version for me is the middle one, the extended but not "ultimate" special extended edition. One addition in the longest cut is footage of the T-1000 searching John's room, take it or leave it. But the most dramatic addition is a different ending which actually makes Terminator 3 and upwards impossible in my view!

But then the "Terminator" franchise has never worried about things like this. T-2 just suddenly announces in a Sarah Connor voice-over at the beginning that 2 Terminators were sent back, not one as stated in the original "Terminator", and no satisfactory explanation is ever given for this change to the story. I guess most people don't care because they liked T-2 so much.

It is a classic 90s action film, and has not dated badly at all. I notice on Amazon that some people have had technical problems with this disc. If you have a Profile 2.0 player and have installed the latest firmware there should be no problems. I found that the disc loaded in reasonable time (given the fancy menu and extras) and I had no problems of any kind. Always having to type in a code to view the long version is quite silly, but I would recommend the second version anyway.

This release could stand to be a bit cheaper I think, but it is undeniably a must for "Terminator" fans.
2020 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2015
We all know the film is a classic, the actual disc has been cleaned up really well and plays in full 1080p quality. The steel book has great art work. No complaints. It has 3 versions of the film as well.
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2016
As the first Terminator failed to Kill Sarah Connor in 1984, a second and far more advanced Terminator is again sent back through time to kill her son John when he is a teenager. Once again however the resistance have been able to send a lone protector to try and save the future. Although the basic story is almost a carbon copy of the first film, essentially a non stop chase movie with incredible ground breaking special digital effects, Cameron wisely added such a clever and unexpected twist that it barely matters. With John now about 14 and his mother in a mental institution (beacause she knows of the impeding storm and no one believes her), the Terminator is hell bent on finding his quarry and stopping the resistance. Will John's protector save the day?

Terminator 2 is a rare example of a sequel outdoing the original in almost every way. With an extended running time of 147 minutes Cameron could really expand the characters and give them more depth. The set pieces are beautifully done, especially the chase sequence along the highway with a Helicopter. The Jaw dropping never before seen special effects still look fabulous today 25 years later. But don’t' just expect an adrenaline fuelled thrill ride, you also get a fabulously immersive and emotional story that grips and doesn't let go. Can the protector save the day, can Judgement Day be stopped, can the new improved Terminator be stopped, you'll just have to watch it and see. The first movie to cost $100 million dollars (the original cost about $5 million) you certainly get lots of bang for your buck and that huge budget, often wasted, in this case has ended up on the screen exactly where it should be.

In 1992 Arnold Schwarzenegger was the biggest movie star in the world and you can tell why, he owns the screen in all his scenes, however it must be said that newcomer Edward Furlong, Linda Hamilton and Robert Patrick hold there own and are all very good indeed. The cinematography and sound are superb on a decent sized TV and sound system.

Winning 4 Oscars and numerous other awards around the world and a huge hit with critics and audiences alike, T2 was a massive hit and took 5 times it's budget at the box office.

The best Terminator yet.
on 2 September 2014
Just upgraded from the DVD version,picture and sound on this blu ray version is brilliant.

I understand that there was a bad transfer on an earlier blu ray,however i have never seen it.All i can say is,if you want a brilliant upgrade,get this Skynet edition.
on 8 October 2008
I bought this, because i like the film and it was the extended edition, which i find far more satisfying than the theatrical edition.If it had been the theatrical edition i wouldn't have touched it.

The main principle of blu ray is better picture, better sound, which is achieved here.

If you only buy films for extras Stick with the DVD,

but if like me you just love the film ,then this is top notch.

for people to say the picture is no better than an upscaled DVD is a joke, I watched the DVD version and the picture is shocking, one of the worst DVD transfers I think I've seen, its only because I bought a bigger TV that i've come to notice these things otherwise I probably would've agreed it is no better. The sound is superb, but then again it always has been, Its a brilliantly sound designed film. and with the DVD offering a choice of sound options it is pretty hard to top.

The blu ray picture is impressive, its not perfect, but i don't think i've seen any film thats older than say 5 years that is. it is the best i've seen this film look by a long shot.

The sound is just amazing thats all i can say, it truly is ear orgasm material, it is an improvment over the DVD , alot cleaner and more thump to it. my only complaint is there isn't a 6.1 or 7.1 channel.

As for Extras, is i previously stated, i bought this because of the film, i've seen enough making of's special effect specials, script comparisons etc over time. i don't think there is anything that hasn't been said already, and is there much left unsaid? i very much Doubt it.
on 1 February 2016
This is my all time favourite film! A true classic and timeless- and the best Terminator film by far- apart from T1, I can't watch the others- T3, and the next one were awful, and they should leave it alone- I've not seen the latest however; but anyway, this is recommended - my only slight complaint was that there was nothing in the case but the dvd itself- bargain price however- Linda Hamilton is brilliant!