Format: DVD|Change

on 4 March 2015
Definitely a favourite. No sex, no violence, just a brilliant fast-paced romance with some comedy thrown in for good measure. Great cast and wonderful storyline based (loosely) on real events. I can't understand why this didn't receive better ratings when it came out, because it's just perfection....if you like this sort of thing, which I do.
on 28 April 2003
This film is slightly predictable but wonderful. Small twists as the plot ran it's course made this film enjoyable. Terrific performances by Matthew Rhys and others added to the outcome, leaving me with an intense feeling of wanting to buy this film. It was wonderfull, i can honestly and really reccommend this film.
Although it was kinda predictable it was wholly enjoyable and perfect for a girls night in, after all, everyone loves a happy ending.
on 20 April 2007
I loved this film - it was all I expected and more!You know those films that you put on and they automatically bring a smile to your face and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside well this is one of them!!!

Its an adventure, period drama, action, romantic comedy, drama and swashbuckler all rolled into one!

Its definatley one for the ladies though - I couldnt help but swoon over the two male leads!!!

This is definatley one of my fave films - a must-see!!!
on 7 March 2015
I love this film and have looked for it for years but couldn't get the English version so I was thrilled when I saw this by chance.The DVD arrived well packaged and in pristine condition and at a bargain price.As for the film it was just as good as I remembered the cast were great and the film a great mix of romance,drama,action and humour.I highly recommend it.
on 9 August 2014
This film is fab fab fab. The dresses, big houses and gardens are beautiful, hehehe the gentleman are too. It's quite funny. Made me giggle. Have to say i don't like wide screen. But glad to finally own the dvd. Too all girls out there if you like romantic films this dvd is definitely for you. Be ready to be swept off your feet. Put the kids to bed, bring the tea and biscuits in before you start the film. Hope you enjoy this film.
on 15 December 2005
I love this film! Its class actors' superb performances make it a thoroughly enjoyable watch. There is no getting away from the fact that it is a romantic comedy, so if that’s not your thing then this might not be for you, but its great comic timing make it enjoyable for all viewers. The only slight draw back of this film is that is does make you feel like you'd like to be 'abducted' by a lovely, gorgeous (slightly Irish-accented and looking like Mathew Rhys) gentleman on a white horse who'd take you away and marry you, just for the hell of it! ... but other than that, it's fab! The most under-rated film of the past 5 years, a thorough recommendation.
on 24 September 2011
Loved it for several reasons: (1)This is not a dreamed-up scriptwriter's tale. Abduction clubs really existed in Ireland in the 18th century. Improvements in inheritance laws would eventually make them unnecessary, but for a time, abduction was a way to snare a monied bride. (2)These fictitious characters are really quite funny, or at least what happens to these two smart-aleck, good-looking rogues when they take on the Kennedy sisters is. (3)The film has a quick pace and one does not have to worry much about how it will turn out. Sometimes you just want a film like that. Too bad it has never been released in the United States. I watched it in Europe. Some critics found it distasteful and degrading to women, but I am an American career woman and I enjoyed it. Come on, U.S. distributors, why are you not picking this one up?
on 10 June 2008
June 2008 - Loved it so much I purchased both the DVD and VHS the next day. I will be watching this many times over and am pleased it is part of my collection. Oh where is a time machine when you need it. Love the 1700s yes life was short but it is the quality not the quantity that matters. Just made my day and brought stunning colour into an ordinary rainy day. I just saw it quite by chance and thought oh goodness this is FANTASTIC!
on 27 January 2013
I carried on watching this despite my brain telling me to stop...I wish I had listened to my brain. This was predictable and did not make up for it by being oh so romantic. It was dull and felt long, find something better to do with your time, like reorganising your sock drawer :Z
on 31 August 2015
Complete rubbish. There are some films that make you wonder how they ever got made and many times the answer is that they were either made with a big budget or were subsidised. Subsidy is how this one made it to the screen. Neither costume drama or 'Carry On' it contains the worst of both genres (in fact Carry on Dick Turpin is masterpiece by comparison). There is a rule of thumb in film making: the more restricted the budget or greater the difficulty in bringing the film to fruition the better the result. Most of the best films are the ones that nearly didn't get made. Oh well, at least this film did some good in the end: by me taking it to the charity shop.