Customer reviews

Absolutely Fabulous - Gay (2002 Christmas Special)
Format: DVD|Change

on 14 May 2017
A must for Ab Fab fans
on 18 May 2017
Excellent
on 28 April 2017
brill
on 14 May 2009
This is the last episode of Absolutely Fabulous and so far has yet to be granted a UK release. After watching the whole series on DVD I tracked a copy of this episode down and was fairly disappointed with it on the whole.

It seems to go at a slower and slightly more claustrophobic pace when compared to the rest of the series and it seems as though its missing something. The ending however I found as satisfying as I think you could ever get and it does wrap the series up in a nice, well, Box you could say.

Even though it doesn't match the previous episodes for laughs this is still well written and brilliantly acted comedy from performers at the top of their game.

Worth getting if you have the rest of the episodes or want to see how the whole thing ended but overall it is nothing worth shouting about.
on 18 December 2016
I am a massive fan of the show. So when it went off air for five years and then returned wih series 4, I was really pleased and surprised, as I never thought it was going to come back especially as series three and then the "Last Shout" specials were billed as the last ever episodes. So when they made this as-well a year later I loved it. It was funny, in keeping with the previous series (but better) and we finally get to meet Serge Edinas long lost gay son. The fact it was set in New York gave it a filmic setting, and made it go up a notch in comparison to the last full series. Bubble is always funny in this, but I loved Saffy and her interaction this time round. A great continuation to the series and well worth a watch. I loved the next series (series 5) and was pleasantly surprised that not only did they make another series, but that it was an 8 episode series too! That is probably my favourite out of the whole series, but the next two specials and the film certainly add to it. So yes the gay special was a funny entertaining addition and should be included in the overall storyline, as I believe in watching it as a whole story.
on 5 October 2011
...well, maybe not, Jennifer Saunders has written 3 brand new specials for late 2011/12... but this was meant to be the last installment. This is just one episode of about 45 mins. Guest stars include Miranda Richardson and Miranda Hart. A funny episode, not the best, but enjoyable. Edina sees fit to redesign the house while Saffy is away getting married, not the most original story as far as Eddie goes, but there are quite few decent laugh out loud moments and shock twists. The ending is pretty satisying in my opinion and is a decent place to leave the series. The special features looking back over the series are also good and make a one episode disc worth buying for a good price.

PS- This is region 1, I have a multiregion player... the only way you can get this for region 2 (as far as I'm aware) is buy getting 'Absolutely Everything' the full series set. For some reason they never released it seperately in England. I emailed BBC DVD about it and they pointed me to the full series set... I suppose they thought I could buy that even though, as I said in the email, I already had 5 season DVDs and 2 specials and only needed this one episode. Thank God for BBC America, or I probably wouldn't have this.
on 26 September 2003
I caught this on TV recently and I literally cried with laughter! I adore Whoopi anyways so she can't do wrong by me, but boy is she on top form here: playing a gay counsellor - giving some classic one liners that had me in stitches. I have always LIKED AbFab, but LOVED this offering which far surpasses many of the previous episodes.
Eddi goes to the States in search of her estranged gay son - Serge. In the process, we meet many oddball characters but the lady evangelist has to be one of the most cracking - just wait til you see the scene of her and another Jane Horrocks character on evangelist TV!!!
Before you wonder how on earth you can justify paying full DVD price for a 45 minute show - fear not: you will sure get value for money with this.
on 10 October 2004
Edina and Patsy are at it again - this time in New York. This is a hilarious special episode, and particularly dear to me as the one that introduced me to the world of Ab Fab, and made me fall in love with it.
There's also an interesting commentary by Jennifer Saunders and producer Jon Plowman.
on 9 October 2010
They certainly haven't "lost the plot" like a few long running shows. This is another great example of Saunders & Lumley.
Some cameos in this and even Whoopi Goldberg.
on 4 May 2009
Well, lets begin with the fact that this is only available in USA, I mean whats up with that? There are some hilarious scenes in this dvd, especially with max and pettina, BRILLIANCE, however, for me, the scene with edina hitting "lola" was just a scene too far, though I do have friends who like this scene, so meh I dont know! I have to say, for a final ever episode, it does wrap up the show rather well, with Edina and Patsy being removed from the house, with he show revealing that the house wasnt actualy Eddies. This was never the case in the previous shows, so i thought that it was rather strange to throw it in just to close things. All in all it is ab fb, and its is the end so it is a must for any fans collection. I hope it will warrant a uk release, but it begs the question, has it been kept to US markets becuase Saunders dosent want to disapoint UK fans with this kinda of show? Who knows, but enjoy :D