on 5 May 2015
Bought out of nostalgia for my 11 year old daughter as an alternative to the marginally less suitable Come Fly With Me, which she was keen to watch. There's the odd bit of smut in here, and some sexual innuendo which goes over her head, but it's stood the test of time, and we've really enjoyed watching it (over and over again, in my daughter's case), especially as my husband's Scottish. Show catchphrases "Oh dearie me" and "Eh?", in high-pitched Scottish accents, are now catchphrases in this house too. Personally my favourite bit is the kitschy Busby Berkeley style musical routines in the titles.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2015
Funny, funny funny. The Scottish comedy which seems like only yesterday to me but was actually over 20 years ago. All the cast are clearly relishing their roles and as a window into the Scottish sense of humour The High Life is a great way to fly. The adventures of the crew of the not too glamourous Scotia Air are great fun even now and many of the cast moved on to bigger things.

The only sad thing is there was only one series. But fun while it lasts.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 August 2014
Totally loved this when it was originally on tv - DVD terrific reminder of one series only classic

It's not just the campness that is reminiscent of Are You Being Served, but the fact that the customers are incidental to the airline staff (lets face it we've all been on the receiving end of this lack of service - anyone who is female and over 40 knows that they are invisible to many female shop assistants who always ignore women customers if there is a man in line, especially if said women are older) - so many things to laugh at - the collecting of the passengers false teeth, then trying to find out the owners again is one bad taste skit that makes you nearly fall off the chair laughing...others are piping aboard the captain with the Star Trek "owee-oh" sound, which is hilarious, the course the staff have to attend, Shona's constant and mostly failing attempts at imposing some sort of order over her naughtiest cabin crew...just watch it and enjoy it
on 2 July 2017
We originally bought this DVD in 2012. We loved it so much we ordered it recently for a dear friend who is unwell & has decided she needs humour to brighten her life. We then couldn't find our copy so reordered it & watched 2 episodes this evening. Alan Cumming is the true star of this along with Forbes Masson. It's brilliant!
One person found this helpful
on 24 September 2012
I almost split my sides laughing when this came out out at the time, even when replaying the videos I had made. Seeing it was available on DVD, I pounced on it, and was not disappointed. All the actors in it have gone on to many other roles, which is as it should be, since they are all excellent. The scripts are polished little gems, and I look forward to seeing the episodes many times again in the future. If I had to choose, my favourite would be the Eurovision Song Contest episode, but there are no duds. While it is a shame there were no more episodes made, I can't see how they could have kept up this high standard, so maybe it is just as well.
on 19 August 2009
This has to be just about the funniest series ever to come out of Scotland. I had forgotten how good it was until I bought the DVD. It's a complete hoot from start to finish with so many highlights that it's impossible to mention them all although the sequence involving the false teeth in the ice bucket (don't ask) had my wife and me in tears of laughter. It may just be me but I think the first three episodes are slightly funnier than the second three but that is only relatively speaking and it's still way ahead of much contemporary television comedy. Anyone not attuned to the finer nuances of Glaswegian speech may miss out on the last ounce of hilarity but it's still deeply, madly wonderful with what is surely the best title sequence of any television comedy ever.
on 6 December 2013
I thought about buying this dvd for a long time as I really could not remember much about it.

Last night I watched four episodes and could not stop laughing, it is very funny!!!!

It's impossible to single out a particular actor as they are all so good - however Patrick Ryecart has to take a special bow as the Captain, I would not want to be on his plane he doesn't even know where the cockpit is!!!!

Too bad only one series was made, but what a series!
on 26 January 2018
Memories - great fun, remembered the series immediately and the song is one that sticks in your mind. Delivered quickly and well packaged. Certainly worth it for the giggles it brought seeing Alan Cummings looking SO young. "Oh Deary Me". Always makes me smile.
on 5 August 2014
I still don't know how Alan Cumming and Forbes Masson managed to get away with broadcasting this on tv - naughty in places but I really enjoyed it. It was one of the funniest short series I've ever seen. Siobhan redomnd is exquisite and the rest of the cast are really good too. Like "Tutti Frutti", it is a well-scripted and funny sit-com based around Air Scotia.
on 17 November 2013
I remember watching this series (there was only one unfortunately) when it was on TV. It wasn't exactly subtle with the two camp cabin attendants, their bossy female superior and the bonkers pilot. Other characters didn't feature much.

I thought I must get the DVD and I was not disappointed.

Shame it never went to a second series, it was very funny.

I should add that my son strongly disagrees, and flatly refused a loan of the DVD.