on 5 May 2017
i love this album thanks!
on 21 March 2017
great
on 23 June 2017
Good package, quick delivery, satisfied customer.
on 12 March 2017
Excellent product delivered on time.
on 16 June 2003
Looking at the first half dozen artists you could be convinced that we are looking at the darker side of the chart hits of the eighties. The Cult, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission and Siouxie Sioux could all wear black clothes and bad make up with the best of them. Unless you're gripped by a fear of spiders Lullaby from The Cure is hardly their scariest moment or whether a mainstream cover version by mellowed out punk heroes The Damned is their darkest hour is questionable to say the least.
This criticism pales into insignificance by the time we reach disc two. Perfect Skin and There She Goes wouldn't be out of place on a "Romantic Side of the Eighties" and Sexuality by Billy Bragg probably counts better for the "Daft Side of Eighties" with lyrics like "I look like Robert De Niro, I drive a Mitsubishi Zero".
Dark Side of the Eighties - get real!
All that said it's a great album with loads of great tracks but it's hardly the start of the goth revival!
on 23 December 2003
What I like about this album is that it suceeds in taking me back to my youth! However, as others have said- its a weird mix man! For starters no Joy Division- who I think could have been snuck on as Ian Curtis died in 1980. There are other bands that could have made an appearance like The Church, Christian Death and the like, but I guess this comp has a commercial eye to those who won't remember this stuff from the first time round, or who danced to The Lovecats in between Sonia and Kylie at the local nightclub after 15 Diamond Whites.
The La's should not be here- dark? And bauhaus should be remembered for anything other than a cover version. Good to see the Neph on here though- if a shorter version than the album track.. anyway, I could go on.
A fun album for parties!!
on 13 June 2003
This is one of the best 80's compilations I've come across that I didnt put together myself. Apart form the very obvious choices (The Cure's Lullaby, The Cult's She Sells Sanctuary) it is refreshing to see the likes of The Missions' anthemic Tower Of Strength and Spear Of Destiny - one of the most underrated bands of all time - informing all that they'll "Never Take Me Alive". There are some curious choices, like Iggy Pop's Real Wild Child and the excellent E=MC2 by Big Audio Dynamite.Nice to see The The getting a look in as well. The most out-of-place track seems to be Talking Head's Road To Nowhere (The Lady Dont Mind would have been more in keeping with the "Dark Side" theme) and Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus came out in 1993 (according to Amazon), so it doesnt fit the 80's theme. Have the record companies forgotten tracks like Stripped (Black Celebration) and Blasphemous Rumours (Some Great Reward) and most conspicuous by their absence is Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Fad Gadget. But these are small niggles and the album far outweighs the NOCTURNAL compilation of a few years ago.If, like me, you are fed up with 80's compilations consisting of rehashes of Frankie, Wham and Howard bleedin' Jones, then this will have you dressing in black and harking back to the days before Madchester messed things up for everyone. Enjoy it, then enjoy it again. THIS is what real music was all about. Gareth Gates et al, take note!
on 3 June 2003
In the past I have been very wary and sceptical of compilation albums. They would generally have a few songs you like and then be filled with mediocre material just to fill the CD. However this time I took a chance and bought DarkSide of the 80's and I wasn't dissapointed.
CD1 has your darker more 'gothy' tracks and CD2 is dare I say it a little more bouncy. There were a few bands and tracks I hadn't heard before but these seem to fit in well with the overall feel of the album, giving it depth and not just full of fillers.
I'd reccomend this to any fans of The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Fields of the Nephilim etc.
on 12 July 2003
Well - one review says "hardly the darkest stuff of the 80s" and I would have to agree. Surely anything on "Faith" by the Cure would have been darker? (come to that, anything ELSE on Disintegration!)
That said, I have to admit I have not heard the album. BUT the track listing is uncannily similar to a compilation I did for myself for listening to in my car. Weird. I did think at the time that having "Anaconda" by Sisters of Mercy on the same CD as Perfect (The The) or "perfect Skin" was odd. But it works. Light and Dark, Yin and Yang and all that.
Bet this album works too.
At last, I thought, when finding this cd - an 80's compilation album that picks some of the best music from the decade and doesn't fill it with pop trivia. Some of these tracks are absolute classics, however some are also a bit of a surprise as they don't appear to fit the suggested genre at all. With that in mind it wouldn't have surprised me if we'd got those ubiquitous 80's compilation stalwarts The LA's on there - what? oh we have... probably not my first choice to lead the goth revivial however.. Not a bad effort though