Format: DVD|Change

on 11 March 2005
With a strong cast, this tale unfolds from a gentle depiction of a middle class family to a poignant study of 'hidden' family values. The drama unfolds following the discovery of the true worth of a painting and sketches by their deceased father and hidden feelings start to emerge.
Angela Lansbury in particular is superb, with the film being a visual treat and a classy tribute to Rosamund Pilcher.
on 5 July 2015
As I love films/television shows starring Angela Lansbury and books by Rosamunde Pilcher, buying this production of the Shell Seekers (I also have the production of the same, starring Vanessa Redgrave) was something I wanted to do, to see how this DVD would differ from the other. It is not as good, as it is not faithful to the actual story, with changes made so as to make it have a happier storyline. The acting by Angela Lansbury is as good as she always does, some of the cast were fine (great fun seeing a young Patricia Hodge whom I know more from starring in Miranda as the over bearing Mother), others rather unknown to me. But seeing the beauty of Cornwall, the countryside of England and Ibiza in Spain was enjoyable. If you are a fan of Angela Lansbury, this is a nice DVD to add to a collection, but if you are a great fan of Rosamunde Pilcher then the changes made are not that enjoyable.
on 26 November 2004
If you have read the book, don't bother to buy or see this movie.
The only similarity with the book are the characters involved and the general plot.
The order of events in the book are mixed up and inaccurately misrepresented in dialog, circumstances and detail. And this is not limited to the make of the automobile.
Most annoying, for example, is the character Dolly, who is long gone in the book, but in the film still alive and looking younger than her daughter in law Penelope.
For those who have not read the book, it could be a nice film, but even then, this DVD is not recommended, because of the poor picture quality. It seems to have been copied from a duplicate or even videotape.
on 9 September 2012
My mother is a fan of Rosamund Pilcher's work, so I bought this DVD for her to see whilst on a visit. She felt that, compared to the book, this DVD omitted much detail, both of plot and character development. Much that was in the book was not in the DVD. Conversely, in the DVD, a character reappeared, but had not done so in the book. Also, she felt that Angela Lansbury's character was rather too smartly dressed and over-glamourous.
on 20 May 2014
I thought this version dvd was truest to the book. I read the book many years ago and its always been a favourite. But I am usually quite sceptical when a film is made from the book. However this did not disappoint, Angela Lansbury depicted the heroine just as I had imagined her to be. Of course you can't get all the book into a film but the gist of the plot is all there. But read the book first!!
on 8 May 2014
Excellent cast, well acted, very well produced. A lovely film for all the family, or at least anyone interested in the dynamics of family relationships. The plot revolves around 63-year-old Penelope and her grown-up children.

However the story is only roughly like Rosamunde Pilcher’s book! The ending is quite dramatically different and there are several changed incidents. Not really a problem – it worked well, and the film captured much of the essence of the book – but a little disturbing. Nevertheless, well worth watching.

First watched in March 2006… watched again in May 2008 when visitors wanted to see it. Knowing it was different from the book in advance did help, and I was surprised to find myself enjoying it thoroughly despite it being only two years since I first saw it.
on 28 May 2009
I did not enjoy the film. I found it disappointing as there were too many major discrepancies between the book and the film. If you have read the book I am sure this would irritate you as it did me. I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
on 22 July 2012
We had looked forward to watching this film last night but were both really disappointed. It is so far removed from the book, which we loved, that it was really frustrating to the point of annoying especially when certain key characters outcomes change. I suppose if you had not read the book it might be an OK watch but for those who are looking for the same experience as the read - I would avoid this.
on 1 October 2009
When I first saw this movie I lived in Canada and watching it made me feel closer to home as many scenes in the movie were of beautifil Cornwall. I loved all of Rosamund Pilchers' books. I wanted to see this movie again as I knew it would bring back memories for me not only of my time in Canada but also in England.
on 2 July 2013
I am glad the film was available in dvd because it was one of my favorite stories. It brought back good memories. It would be great if other old miniseries were publshed again on dvd!