Format: DVD|Change

on 31 October 2011
It's so great to see this again and it really has stood the test of time. It can be watched in French or in dubbed English, but the dubbed version is in English with a French accent, and keeps in the odd 'merci' and 'au revoir' which adds to the magic of the story. It is in black and white, which I thought would put my own kids off, but quite the reverse - my son is captivated and has started calling our own, rather large, white dog, 'Belle'! A great way to pass the time with the family - even the dog's engrossed!
on 19 June 2017
Saw the original B&W film years ago then the animated version on TV. Always wanted a PMD and now own a lovely girl named 'Bella' who is now a 4 year old. Her favourite trick as a pup was to charge under each GSD in turn - and then stand up - thus flipping said gsd's high into the air!.
review image
on 19 May 2017
Good film
on 24 January 2004
This and White Horses was shown EVERY school summer holiday I can remember as a kid, times I hope I never forget !
For it's price it's worth a journey back :)
11 Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2009
Another piece of the famous Tales From Europe jigsaw that included The Flashing Blade, Robinson Crusoe and The White Horses. Black and white nostalgia par excellence, fond memories of happy summers long gone, and the forlorn hope that anything similar would ever feature on our screens today. I can overlook the sound fault highlighted by an earlier reviewer; Belle and Sébastien remains one of those special moments in television history, the like of which we shall not see again. Granted, we produced those homegrown gems The Double Deckers and The Changes, but why did so many quality children's programmes come from France and beyond? Unforgettable.
on 19 February 2004
I just received the dvd set one day ago, and now finished the first 4 episodes. I never thought I would ever see the series again after more than 40 years it was shown on television in the Netherlands. We saw the series at the house of my grandparents who had already a television in the arly 60's. I wasn't the only one who saw it with their grandparents I read in th reviews. The tune and the images never left my memory over the years, and it give me the thrills to see and here it again. Perfect!
on 2 August 2006
I was thirteen,this movie was in english version in my homeland.Great movie for me as a kid,I never missed one episode.

Mammamia,it must be lovely to watch it again after many,many years and also good for the children of today.It would be better with at least subtitles,but in any language,the sentiment is the same throughout the World.
on 28 January 2008
This was my favourite TV series when I was a young child. I remember being desparate to watch the final episode on the morning of Christmas Day in 1967 - although box says the final episode was on Boxing Day.

Watching it now it is still fantastic. It has a strong story line with an evil character and more adult themes than I remember.

I loved it then and I still do now.
on 14 December 2003
Returning home from Primary School, I used to watch this programme all the time..as a dog lover even then, I swore one day I would "get one of those big furry dogs".
Happily, due only to the influence this programme had on me, I am now the proud owner of a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, and he is everything I ever hoped for and more.
Now on DVD I can once again watch this series that spurred on a lifetime of desire to own my very own Pyrenean.
on 29 July 2016
I have just completed a binge watch of season two of Belle et Sebastien, the beautiful 1960s Gaumont RTF drama series about a boy and his dog. It is a great adventure romp through the stunning french countryside, and is very well acted and written. Mehdi el-Glaoui, who plays Sebastien, is France's Dennis Waterman (a chheeky chappie who stars in the show and sings the theme song), and in the best tradition of TV dramas with canine heroines, where Lassie is a laddie, Belle, in this case, is a beau!

This is the second tranche of Belle et Sebastien, a truly charming example of French television drama at its best!