Customer reviews

on 30 September 2013
Still Life is the fourth studio album by Swedish progressive death metal band Opeth. The album was produced and engineered by Opeth alongside Fredrik Nordström, and released on 18th October 1999 through Peaceville Records. It was the first Opeth album to be released through Peaceville, following their departure from Candlelight and Century Black after the release of My Arms, Your Hearse.

Like its predecessor My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life is a concept album. Frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt explains: "Still Life was not Satanic but an anti-Christian theme. It sounds pretty naive when I explain it like this. It kind of takes place a long time ago when Christianity had a bigger importance than it has today. The main character is kind of banished from his hometown because he hasn't got the same faith as the rest of the inhabitants there. The album pretty much starts off when he is returning after several years to hook up with his old 'babe'. Obviously a lot of bad things start happening with, as I call it on the album, 'the council'. The big bosses of the town know that he's back. A lot of bad things start happening. They see him as a hypocrite in a way. It's almost like a devil's advocate or whatever it's called".

Like most of the band's albums, Still Life features the combination of death metal and progressive rock elements that is characteristic of Opeth's music style. With this album, vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt's death growl began to deepen considerably relative to the band's earlier albums. Still Life continues the band's experimentation with dynamics, and most songs contain at least two drastic dynamic shifts. The song "Benighted" is the only acoustic track, containing a blues-influenced guitar solo. This is also one of the band's few songs that follow a linear song structure, containing verses and a chorus. "Face of Melinda" is, for the most part, another ballad; while it does not contain death metal vocals, it does contain guitar riffs that are typical of the band's heavier songs. A fretless bass guitar along with brushes in place of conventional drumsticks were used in "Face of Melinda" to give it a jazzier sound.

Still Life is, in my opinion, another excellent album by the Swedish metallers Opeth. Despite the fact that the band were only able to rehearse twice before entering the studio due to time constraints for recording Still Life, I don't think that spoiled the recording and production quality of this album as it is a masterpiece. (Did you know that Ritchie Blackmore's band Rainbow had similar time constraints when recording their quintessential 1976 album Rising which contains the classic piece Stargazer, and yet those time constraints didn't spoil the quality of that album either?). This edition of Still Life that I bought contains two discs, the first one being a remastered stereo mix of the album on Audio CD and the second one being an Audio DVD containing a 5.1 surround sound mix. The DVD also contains a live video for the album track "Face of Melinda" from The Roundhouse Tapes live performance in London. The remastered and remixed versions of the original recordings were done by Jens Bogren.

Overall, Still Life is an absolute masterpiece and I very highly recommend this album to all music lovers out there in the world.
on 14 November 2012
This Vinyl edition of the masterpiece Still life is wonderful.

The packaging is exquisite and masterfully done it is a master piece in itself beautiful arwork and well thought out layouts that compliment the Concept completely it almost feels like a story book. you can see how it has been very carefully though out with the Exact colours being chosen and how they will work with eachother to great a masterpiece to complete the album.

the records them selves are nice thick 180gram vinyl and have little red centres on the first disc and bluey blakc centres on the second disc.

Disc one contains: The Moor on one side, A beautiful elegant death metal song with fabulous dynamics and thought. the head crunching riffs and graceful Dancing acoustic parts.
Side B contains Godhead Lament and the mystical ballad Benighted.
Godhead's Lament continues where The moor left off and is filled with more Gut stomping death metal vocals and riffs. Benighted is a fully acoustic song with really really lovely gutiar that sounds how the front cover looks

Side C: contains Moonlapse vertigo and Face of Melinda
Moonlapse Vertigo continues the story with even more Death metal style vocals and brilliantly thought out riffs. Face of Melinda changes up the affair somewhat with really good relaxing jazzy acoustic song at least until the Crescendo which has one of the best build ups and climaxes of any Opeth song end in a brilliant Finale

Side D, Serentiy painted death and White Cluster are really the Finale to end the story and are both very death metally as this is the part of the story where the main character is killing people and white cluster is where he is being hanged from what I can tell and the music tells this perfectly with vocals which have been thoguht very carefully through with how they are performed.

Brilliant Masterpiece of an Album made even better with beautiful extra artworks and layouts and also being on crisp clear vinyl making it sound even more purrtyful
on 30 November 2002
This CD went everywhere with me from the moment I received it. I'd previously heard an Opeth track in 1995 off a compilation, and although I appreciated what they were doing ( blending melody and extreme metal ) I didn't think they pulled it off very well at the time. But this album is something else. It is PERFECT. I have listened to it about a 100 times and I can not hear a single flaw in either the playing or production. A previous reviewer called this 'really good music', and I agree with them wholeheartedly. If you like any heavy metal album at all, then you will love this. It is a seamless blend of atmosphere, power, doom, melancholy, beauty, progressive rock and darkness, and get this - it is NOT cheesy. This is the best music I have heard in a long long time. It is inconceivable that this band are 'underground'. They sound like they have a millon dollar budget and put all the MTV metal to shame.
on 8 February 2009
I only discovered Opeth about a year ago. I thought I had become an age where 'death metal' was a thing from my youth (i'm 47). I'm very much into prog rock with favourites like Rush, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree. I read that Steven Wilson had worked together with Opeth, in the studio as well as on stage, so I was curious. So I listened to a few songs of Opeth on You Tube: what an absolute surprise! This band has nothing to do with deathmetal, but is a metal-prog rock-classical-jazz-and I don't know how many more stiles of music all combined together in a haunting-brutal-stunningly beautiful mixture. I've bought most of their records and 'Still Life' is, to my oppinion, their very best. It's a musical adventure, a rare gem that summons tons of emotions, from the harder passages where composer, guitarist, singer Mikael Akerfeldt uses his 'grunt' that cuts right through your bones, to the beautifully sung softer passages that almost moves you to tears. Seven songs, seven little masterpieces of musically genious and beautiful lyrics. If you want to buy 'Still Life', go for this edition. It's packed in a great looking digibox, with a booklet. You get the stereo mix from the original 1999 album + a stunning 5.1 mix on DVD. This is without a doubt one of the best records I bought in 2008, and I recommend it to everyone who has an open mind for 'musical adventure'.
on 6 April 2018
Put "the Moor" on, and you will be unable to give this vinyl less than 5 stars.
on 1 September 2017
One of my favourite Opeth albums. I finally have it on vinyl! Not a bad track on it. The art work is beautiful and really adds a nice to touch to each section of the unfolding story.
on 11 January 2013
This is just a beautiful album. One of the best I've ever heard but the only reason I gave this a 4 star was nothing on Opeth's part. Mikael is a genius and I respect and love every piece of work he has done and I really wanted to hear this on vinyl and now I can, but not without being oblivious to whether I'm going to listen to Moonlapse Vertigo or Serenity Painted Death first. Basically on the second vinyl record, since this is a long album it takes two, each side says 'Side 3' and says 'Moonlapse Vertigo' and 'Face of Melinda'. Whereas the other side should say 'Serenity Painted Death' and 'White Cluster' but it does not. This does not completely ruin it for me at all but I can't give it a 5 star simply due to this but I would if this little problem was not there. But fantastic Opeth as always! :)
on 9 August 2017
As expected, quick delivery
on 14 May 2015
thank you so much for good prices to replace my lost cds!!!!!
on 21 March 2016
Amazing album, still one of Opeth's best. Very glad I baught this new version, comes with images and writing from Micheal Akerfelt.