• Duets

Format: Audio CD|Change

When the double-CD Essential was released a few months before this, I was disappointed that some great duets were missing, although all the important solo tracks were included. I was therefore particularly pleased to be able to buy this collection. All the duets that were included on Essential - You don't bring me flowers, No more tears, Guilty, Tell him and I finally found someone - are reprised here, but they couldn't have been omitted from either, being among Barbra's biggest hits.
Two newly recorded songs - I won't be the one to let go and All I know of love - bookend this collection, no doubt included to ensure that Barbra's most fanatical supporters need this.
Some of the songs here reflect Barbra's acting career, including I finally found someone (from The mirror has two faces), Lost inside of you (from A star is born), two tracks from Back to Broadway (I have a love / One hand one heart and The music of the night) and Ding dong the witch is dead (a cover of song from The Wizard of Oz).
Everything here is brilliant, but my particular favorites are Make no mistake he's mine (a song that topped the country chart when recorded by Kenny Rogers and Ronnie Milsap as Make no mistake she's mine), If you ever leave me and You don't bring me flowers.
If you enjoy any of Barbra's music, you will love this collection.
on 30 June 2009
I like Streisand, but this collection proves to me, that for me, she's really at her best when her voice is mixing with someone elses. The tracks are truly varied - great easy listening and for singing along to.
on 12 September 2009
As I searched for a Barbra Stresand cd. featuring 'Tell him', where she duets with Celine Dion, I came across this one and could'nt be happier with my choice.
There really can't be anyone who has duetted with so many great artists across the decades, ranging from the great's like Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Johnny Mathis & Ray Charles, through to Barry Manilow, Barry Gibb & Josh Groban, to name but a few of the 19 artist's you can enjoy harmonising with Barbra's mesmerising voice here.
on 22 November 2002
Wow...I have waited for this album for so long...an album of duets featuring Barbra... She has the most fab voice ever and this album does not dissapoint I brought it on Monday and have not stopped playing it since... if you see a fiesta driving around with a mad woman singing along to the radio thats me singing along to this cd. I am so pleased that barbra has recorded 2 new songs for this album..and they are lovely the best being the last one, All I Know Of Love with Josh Groban oh it gives you goose bumps. I would definitely recommend this album to any Barbra streisand fan... its lovely...
There have been many great female artists down the years, we could all, I suspect write
quite a list of favourites, to my mind, 'Barbara Streisand' is right up there with the very
best........one of the most beautiful voices that ever graced the music-scene.
Many of her songs would rank among my all-time favourites, songs like 'Evergreen'
'The Way we Were' 'Woman in Love' among her solo U.K successes, witch brings
me around to this beautifully crafted 'Duets' CD which I purchased back in 2002 when
released, played it again just yesterday, it reminded me just how good this 'Lady's' music
really is.
U.K hits (duets) included on this 'CD' ......'Guilty' (with Barry Gibb) 'You Don't Bring Me
Flowers' (with Neil Diamond) 'I Finally Found Someone' (with Bryan Adams) 'Tell Him'
(with Celine Dion) and 'No More Tears' (enough is enough) (with Donna Summer)
These being just a few of the superb duets to be found on board.....worth checking out.
'Barbra Streisand' --- A Quality Act'
There are seventy-five minutes of duets on this CD, covering a wide range of styles and sounds over almost fifty years of Streisand's career. Two are from the 1960s (and are rarities in their own right); five are from the 1970s; five each also from the 1980s and 1990s; and finally two from the last decade. These last two are new tracks, one a duet with Barry Manilow, the other a duet with Josh Groban.

Others here include the gravelly-voiced Bryan Adams, the strong vibrato of Johnny Mathis, and the spoken-style of Neil Diamond. Donna Summer has Streisand's strength, but not her subtlety, but I suppose it is Celine Dion who comes closest to Streisand's vocal powers. Kim Carnes cannot really compete at all on her level, but the voice of Don Johnson is for me the most perfect as a singing companion to Streisand. On one track Streisand even gets to duet with herself.

So, overall, there's a mixed bag here, but I counted only one terrible track, namely the painful duet with Kris Kristofferson. On the other side of the coin, I counted four tracks worthy of five stars, namely `Guilty' and `What Kind of Fool' (both with Barry Gibb); the fantastically composed and arranged `You Don't Bring Me Flowers' (Neil Diamond); and the equally well-written and produced `If You Ever Leave Me' (with Vince Hill - who?).

Over the years Streisand has sung with the best; but this album demonstrates that she is probably THE best English-speaking singer of the last fifty years. Some achievement!
on 6 December 2010
What a grat album - Barbra singing duets with some great artists and singing a great mix of songs which make for very easy listening.
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2013
Another wonderful Barbra album to add to a Streisand collection. Although some of these are on other albums, many were released as singles (such as 'Enough is Enough' with Donna Summer, and 'Tell Him' with Celine Dion) and it is great to have them gathered together on one album. Superb album for the car, a must for all Barbra fans.
When the double-CD Essential was released a few months before this, I was disappointed that some great duets were missing, although all the important solo tracks were included. I was therefore particularly pleased to be able to buy this collection. All the duets that were included on Essential – You don’t bring me flowers, No more tears, Guilty, Tell him and I finally found someone - are reprised here, but they couldn’t have been omitted from either, being among Barbra’s biggest hits.
Two newly recorded songs – I won’t be the one to let go and All I know of love – bookend this collection, no doubt included to ensure that Barbra’s most fanatical supporters need this.
Some of the songs here reflect Barbra’s acting career, including I finally found someone (from The mirror has two faces), Lost inside of you (from A star is born), two tracks from Back to Broadway (I have a love / One hand one heart and The music of the night) and Ding dong the witch is dead (a cover of song from The Wizard of Oz).
Everything here is brilliant, but my particular favorites are Make no mistake he’s mine (a song that topped the country chart when recorded by Kenny Rogers and Ronnie Milsap as Make no mistake she’s mine), If you ever leave me and You don’t bring me flowers.
If you enjoy any of Barbra’s music, you will love this collection.
on 1 December 2012
Wonderful Barbra Striesand - she can sing! I love this album and play it incessantly in the car. Would love to see her live but unless I win the lottery, that will not happen so this DVD is the next best thing. Highly recommend