on 8 December 2003
Pokemon ruby and Sapphire are the 2 new Pokemon games and since i got them months ago i still can't put them down,this Pokemon game has so much more to offer then the other Pokemon games with:
over 100 New! pokemon which all of them look Ace,
The new 2 on 2 battles are one of the best things ever to happen to a pokemon game
The graphics and sound have got so much more better
The gameplay is ace
The colours have got so much better aswell
and thers loads more...Want to be in a Pokemon World...then go buy Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire..Now!
on 5 December 2005
This is the biggest improvement ever between 2 games. There is more pokemon added to the originals. Also it's hard to miss the amazing graphics. The pokenav is good how it has a zoom button so that you can see what is in it. I like the den idea and the pokemon competitions like the beauty contests and berry blending. Also the running shoes are a great idea too along with the two differenrt type of bikes. One of them is a BMX which can do bunny hops and wheelies and stuff. The other one is a speed bike. The map is a lot nicer as well(probably the best out of all of them). The raining looks good as well. There is an improvement in gym puzzles also. To go with it I would recommend the strategy guide as it tells you where to get different pokemon.
This game should be purchased by all pokemaniacs.
on 22 April 2003
Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are 2 great games that a big improvement on the previous Pokemon titles - the best improvements being the new Pokemon, Pokemon Contests and 2-on-2 trainer battles. There's hours of gameplay in it - I haven't even beaten the Elite Four on my copy of Pokemon Sapphire yet, and I've already spent over 40 hours playing!
The only downside is the fact that you can't trade with older versions of the Pokemon games and that you can only actually catch 200 Pokemon because many of the older Pokemon can't be caught (they've been programmed into the games, but you can't catch them without using a Gameshark). This leaves a big question about how to catch these Pokemon though... perhaps they will be unlocked with a Gamecube game in the future??? I hope so!
After saying this though, if you've enjoyed the other Pokemon titles, you won't be disappointed. This is well worth your money, and not to be missed by Pokemon fans.
on 26 July 2006
Ruby is possibly one of the best Pokemon games to date. The legendary pokemon look amazing and have brilliant attacks. The two on two battle feature is a nice new addition, adding more strategy to the gameplay. This is a must have for Poke-fans and gamers alike!
on 3 July 2003
Playing Gold/Silver and Crystal,I thought that there's no Pokemon game that will beat this lot.Guess what?Pokemon Ruby came along with a 100 new pokemon added to the original 251.That makes an incredible 351 pokemon to catch!!Pokemon Ruby is set in a new world called Hoenn.New places,trainers,gym leaders awaits.The Pokedex has turned from good to excellent.Lastly the graphics,it has got a new 2d/3d look.There's some nice touches too,like seeing your own refection in the water and leaving footprints in the sand.If you like Pokemon and RPG games,buy this you won't regret it!!
on 27 November 2005
When you look back at pokemon yellow and the older games you realise how brilliant the graphics are.I would probably say it has the best graphics a game boy advance game ever has! It has got a wide variety of pokemon. The only problem is when you finish it, it's boring and you can never be bothered to do it again. Regarding that it is still an outstanding game and is well worth buying.
on 5 May 2016
good pokemon game, giving it 3 stars relative to other pokemon games. Personally my 2nd least favourite pokedex(platinum being my least favourite). The problems with this gamen are as follows: I don't like the system used to rebattle trainers. It is trainers eyes, meaning you don't call up someone to check if they want to battle you(but you can check if they do) but if you don't know about it at first as I didn't it can be really annoying because as the name suggests if a rebattleable trainer see you, you'll battle them. But if you don't know about the system and are low on hp...very annoying, personally prefer heart gold/soul silver's phone system and fire red/leaf green's vs seeker(the vs seeker being my favourite) Another problem is also a strength...kinda. This game has some of my favourite starters...well 2 of them mudkip and torchic, but for in game use, for a lot of the game at least(including some high level gyms) torchic is simply unusable, meaning you're pretty much forced to use one of the other 2, or go against the later gyms with 5 or less pokemon, however against the elite 4, whilst mudkip is still the better choice, I think he does perform better than sceptile at least here. Another problem is pokemon emerald. Haven't played it/checked for the price, but seen playthroughs and read about it, so know unlike in ruby/sapphire where you can only get the cover legendary, in emerald you can get both and unlike in ruby you don't have to wait till you've beaten the elite 4 to get raquaza. This game also suffers if you've played gen4 onwards games, as this has no physical special split for moves, instead entire move types are either physical or special. And for some retarded reason dark is special...even though most of it's moves seem to be physical, such as bite, crunch, faint attack etc. This game can also be annoying as it has quite a few water hms, however if you pick mudkip(and you kinda have to) it's a good idea to teach him surf, one other in your party waterfall and a hm slave dive, as dive has only 60 power in ruby, not 80 like in future gens, and you only need it for part of the story. Although this is my 2nd least favourite pokedex overall, it does have some very good pokemon and a good number of each type, well distributed. It also has some of the hardest puzzles in my opinion 2 of which I had to get guides for(and ones a brail puzzle, so you probably will too, although this is an optional puzzle) so I think that's good if you want to stimulate yourself mentally, considering this is mainly aimed at kids, definatley a good thing. Ovverall this has my least favourite music, but most pokemon music is amazing, so don't dislike it, but compared to say black and white's music pales in comparison. Finally the map is actually one of my favourites, as I said with plenty of puzzles, including one to find a city you have to dive for, something unique to this game. And it's map is tropical, being a fan of hot and tropical locales myself, definatley a plus. So overall this game has it's ups and downs, it's definatley worth a play for any pokemon fan, but gen5 is my favourite gen so far(not tried 6 personally) but emerald or omega ruby/alpha sapphire would be better choices, and know alpha sapphire/omega ruby aren't too much more expensive as they fix things like the physical special split(not eerald though obvs) have more pokemon and don't quote me on this but I believe omega runy/alpha sapphire has the vs seeker too. Sorry if this review was too long, but is my style to go is in depth as possible, so you have all the information, hope it was helpful.
on 6 April 2003
When I got this game from america i thought that it would just be exactly te same as the old ones except with new pokémon.
but it wasnt!!!it is so different!!i had no idea you were'nt
playing the game in johto anymore,now its in a place called
hoenn(i think thats how u spell it.)anyway i chose torchic as a
starter and now i wish i hadnt becoz this is a really bad starter
as it is useless against the first gym..im gonna buy pokémon ruby
too so that i can do the adventure all over again!
i would recommend this to anyone who is a true pokémon fan!
on 3 November 2005
i just started playin this game... and its amazing! i read some reviews that say its not as good as some of the others, but the last one i played was the old gameboy blue one,, and this seems like a MASSSIVE improvement. its all colour and animated. im lookin forward to gettin into this game
on 14 April 2003
I may be 19 years old, but I still pride myself on being a Pokémaster. I needed this game so badly, I got it on import. Although the opening scene is not much to write home about, it's when you start the game that the massive improvements over previous poké games slap you square in the face. Everything is so alive. Put Red, Blue or Yellow version into your GB and see the difference. The format will be familiar to all my generation, and all those below. Get either a grass, water or fire pokémon, train them up, and become the world champion, plus catch some other pokémon on the way. What struck me most however is the increase in storyline. Events encountered early on are referred back to later on. The only drawbacks to this game are the lack of pokémon we are all familiar with, and a new landscape, never before seen. However, I have grown fond of the new pokémon, and eventually, you do encounter "original" pokémon. Needless to say, I've incorporated an Alakazam into my party. In the 2 weeks I've had the game, 35 hours have already been spent on it, both by myself, and my 7 year old brother, who easily got to grips with the new menus, and still I haven't finished it, although I'm pretty close. In closing, this is an oustanding RPG game, which shouldn't be frowned upon due to the Poké franchise, and should be given credit for it's many good points.

See one answered question