Customer reviews

Miserere [Kings College Choir]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 March 2009
Quite simply the best version of Gregorio Allegri's Miserere mei, Deus.
This is with out a doubt the most beautiful and haunting piece of choral music there is.

February 2010 Update.
As my few lines have been of help I decided to expand a little on my thoughts above.
What makes this recording stand out above the rest?
Well the Kings College version of 1963 although excellent does I feel show its age in terms of recording quality and also that it is sung in English not Latin. This 1983 recording has that same warm mellow sound of the 1963 one, but is sung in Latin. This coupled with perfect recording and mixing just give it the edge I feel over all the other recordings that I have.
If like me you just love listening to this piece of music then I highly recommend the following recordings of Miserere mei, Deus by The Choir of St John's College on their album Meditation, St. Paul's Cathedral Choir on their album The Music of St. Paul's Cathedral and The Choir of New College Oxford on their album Agnus Dei.
on 7 October 2009
If you enjoy choral music, you will love this CD. The boy Soprano is extraordinary. Beautiful sound production. I heard a little of it on the radio which prompted me to buy it. I have to limit myself as everyone else in the house is bored with my playing it over and over again. Perfect for listening to on a long journey.
on 19 February 2012
Superb recording, Kings College Choir must be the best in the World. I have listened to this disc over and over again and it calms the soul...A must for every collector of choral music.
on 28 August 2012
All of the pieces are a delight, whether by well known or less well known composers. The Allegri Miserere is as good as any performance I have heard and what more gems could the astonishing Frescobaldi have written if he hadn't passed away so young?
on 4 February 2015
Gobsmackingly beautiful. I actually bought this in error. I wish I could make such an error every ten years then I'd be twice as content with life as I already am.

On another point, the young voice does not always seem to have accuracy of punctuation but this, combined with a texture that is stunning, only adds to the celebration of man doing his damndest to rise above his imperfections.

I defy anybody to hear this without spiritual profit.
on 17 April 2012
Such a good buy through Amazon the choir and the music is really so lovely and the price so great!
I would recommend this CD to anyone.
on 6 December 2012
Heard this at a friend's house and bought it the next week - enchanting music - lovely to listen to at any time.
on 29 September 2014
Absolutely wonderful music, can't get any better. The boys voices soar beautifully. I bought it really for the Allegri Miserere but the rest of the music on the cd is also beautiful. I am playing it over and over again. I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 8 July 2014
I couldn't agree more with one of the reviews I read in that once listened to it is rather hard to stop! Interestingly, I am currently reading a book by Fiona McLaren called "Da Vincis Last Commission". In it, she talks about the "Miserere" and how for some time it was banned from being performed except for inside the Sistine Chapel. The reason for this is because it contains a note known as the devils chord or devils interval. One of the explanations for this ban is thought to be because the note when incorporated in a piece such as this, brings you exceptionally close to divinity. I think they may have a point! Feeling a lot calmer after a day in the City having listened to it when I came home. Wonderful CD which I know I will have many hours of pleasure listening to.
on 11 October 2011
This fabulous piece of work is a must for anyone like me who loves this type of music. To think the Miserere was nearly lost to the world because the Pope at the time Allegri wrote it decreed it was only to be heard in the Vatican. Silly old Pope, it's absolutely fabulous, the whole world must hear it.