Session 9 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 6 May 2014
I'm not sure why I chose this film to watch - I hadn't read any reviews of it - but although I probably won't watch it again, it was interesting. The slow build to horror is done very well, and the characters are credible. The ruined building in which the men work is threatening from the start, although the initial fears on the part of the cleaning crew are all based solidly in the world of reality, a sense of paranoia develops early on, and this grows in intensity. There are some horrid moments that were very well done, and I was annoyed at myself for having missed the clues that ran through the plot. Definitely worth watching.
on 5 August 2010
Whatever happened to horror movies like this?? Somewhere along the way in the nineties, every single horror had to have the following: A violent killer with a distinctive way of murdering its victims, hapless teens, a predictably unpredictable ending, Hollywood good looks and budget, zero intelligence.
Thank God for this film! It harks back to those BBC2, 3am, suspense films that you used to watch while half asleep on a monday night on the sofa. What it lacks in budget, it makes up for in thrills if not spills. This one especially, as the characters in question are stripping asbestos out of a closed down mental institute.
As with all good horrors - its up to you to fill in the blanks with your minds eye - Nightmare On Elm St remake this is not...thankfully! Let it draw you in and this film will have an effect on you like it did on me.
A job well done by everyone involved! : )
on 30 October 2011
Session 9 was a seriously surprising film - much better than anticipated.

What's wonderful about Session 9 is its wonderfully slow pace, building belief that the protagonists are actually normal people who do a real job (the detail of their job is fantastic as a device to build credence), and that there is a threat in their new working environment that is truly frightening. There is a creepy atmosphere throughout and the lack of jumps is a so unlike horror today. Well done, Mr Anderson.

The film that Session 9 most closely resembles is The Shining and there is nothing wrong with that at all, particularly given that that is one of my favourite supernatural horrors.

The biggest problem with the movie, if you can call it a problem, is the ending. By about three quarters of the way through the film's 'feel' turns from being a predominantly supernatural affair to a suspense/detective-style work. My mind began to wonder who the monster was rather than focusing on the fear of the monster itself. So, some of the impact was lost.

However, really worth a watch and if you can pick this up for a few pounds then a strong addition to a film collection.
on 7 August 2017
The first time I saw this film I was not sure if I liked it, it had something and some scenes was creepy. The second time I saw it I liked it a lot. I think this is a film that get better evey time you see it. I can recommend this film.
on 17 May 2013
Let's just say right off the bat that this film is not for everyone. There is not much gore, no jump scares and no horrifically overacted school kids. This is a movie that gets under your skin, disturbing the viewer more than anything. I liked the fact that Session 9 was fairly original, the plot being centered around an asbestos removal company, given the daunting task of removing asbestos from an old asylum in just a week.
The movie starts off relatively slow, which won't appeal to a lot of people, however there is a certain ominous feel throughout the movie, which creates an extreme amount of suspense. In addition to this, there is an overwhelming amount of tensions between the characters themselves and throughout the movie you are waiting for someone to snap. This movie has moments that are so disturbing and downright creepy that you will get shivers down your spine.
The only complaint I have for session 9 is that I would like to have seen more scary moments. The film spends a long time building up tension, and the ending is excellent, however the film did not scare me on a major level; but rather creeped me out and disturbed me.

To summarize I would say that if you are looking for a film that will deeply disturb you then session 9 is the way to go. It has a rather original plot and I admire that in a time of regurgitated 'pop-out of a closet and say boo' horror films. Leading me on to my next point, I would not recommend this movie to anyone who wants a rollercoaster ride of scares because this movie focuses much more on tension and atmosphere, and in that respect, it delivers.
on 4 August 2009
This is scary and for a lower budget horror does not disappoint.If you are looking for a full fledged gore-fest then avoid.This is top-of-the-notch psychological horror.It's about a demolition crew who have to work in an abandoned run down ex insane asylum,eventually they realise it's haunted and all start to experience cabin fever.

There is a twist in the end that will leave you spooked.Try the alternative ending,alot more effective!
on 2 November 2017
Disappointing
on 10 June 2016
This movie is so weard you got to listen to it more then once to understand!
on 24 November 2009
I would say that in terms of over all scares this is pretty low, but tension and drama it has. Not sure this should really be classified as a horror, it's is scary but not in a pranormal sort of way, just in a crazy things people do sort of way. It's a good curl up with your partner film that makes you think, sort of like 'the sixth sense', there are clues along the way as to how things have played out.
on 19 October 2015
Great as usual from this wonderful actor