Customer reviews

The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 December 2013
i thought it might contain more than one episode of the series from the initial description by Amazon and it arrived on time well packaged just a bit disappointed that it's only one episode
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 August 2008
Ah, such fod memories of this TV programme, back in those halcyon days! So when it was released on DVD I bought myself a copy from Amazon, watched it and realised that I had missed some quality cult viewing!
The sets, fights, acting all oozes nostalgia, not in a corny way, as it is genuinely well made with some brilliant stories.
I recommend it to all those who watched it back in the days, and those who haven't who appreciate fine Japanese drama.
Since I bought it, the DVD has been all over my work place, everyone wanted to borrow it!
A fine addition to my collection - to any ones collection!
on 11 August 2013
I have dim memories from my childhood of my father watching the Water Margin. My father disliked and disapproved of TV, so the fact that he watched the series made me look it up about 10 years ago.

The complete series is 26 episodes covering the formation and exploits of a group of Chinese outlaws based in the Water Margin - an area difficult for troops to penetrate, and thus the ideal retreat for hunted fugitives. All the characters have their history - the troubled 'Honourable General'; the virtuous 'Good Judge'; the mighty 'Tiger Hunter'; the drunken 'Flower Priest'; and the feisty Hu San Yan - who refused to be a concubine to the evil Grand Vizier and tried to kill him instead.

At one level, the stories are similar to our Robin Hood legends, but the overlay of oriental culture makes it slightly harder to predict the direction it's going to take. It is certainly a classic tale of good vs evil ("nine dozen heroes and one wicked man"), and the characters are straight-forward - but very engaging.

Don't expect modern production standards - the fighting choreography is primitive by modern standards, and it's not always PC (although one of the best fighters is a woman - unusual for the time). That said, the sets are well made, the acting (and dubbing) is good, and many of the scenes are filmed outside.

Every episode starts and ends with an aphorism, mostly from the Tao Te Ching - classics such as:

"Do Not Despise The Snake Because He Has No Horns - For Who Is To Say He Will Not One Day Become A Dragon?", and
"The Sea Is Master Over All The Rivers, Because He Lies Below Them!"

We're also watching a new (2011) Chinese interpretation of the story. They've gone the whole hog with good martial arts choreography, full town sets, etc, but it doesn't quite have the same pace and charm.
on 24 August 2016
love it!
on 1 November 2011
The descrption of this dvd says that it contains episodes 1 thru 3... it only had one and two. Having said that, I enjoyed my trip down memory lane watching this again. Well worth a look for the price.
on 15 February 2013
I remembered this from my childhood and it was great to revisit it. I preferred it to Monkey. It has intrigue, magic and mystery but reflects the age it was produced.
on 30 December 2015
Only 2 episodes but it brought back memories of when I watched it on TV many years ago.
on 26 April 2013
The story and the acting are quite good. But, the dubbing in English makes it unreal since the story is supposed to be in China. There is no subtitle, and the movie looks 'old'. The pictures are not so bad considering the old age of the movie. I wish they would remaster these dvd movies and put the original cinese/japanese spoken language with subtitles. That would be really wonderful!.
on 16 March 2015
Perfect viewing & company, would recommend them to anyone.
on 17 February 2016
Christmas present but next I mine to watch.