Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 February 2015
I love this album so much. I have been a fan of Ry Coddr's collaborations; they are all great but this one gets to a whole new level. It somehow combines a strong retro, 50s feel with very clever production. Seedy bar, meets lounge smooth, meets effortless virtuosity. This album has its cake and eats it too. It's evocative without a shred of pretention.
on 24 November 2006
One of the best albums I own and my favourite by Ry Cooder. Any fan of instrumental music will love this, simply outstanding. With the Cuban influence of Guitar legend Manuel Galbán and Ry's usual tasteful playing this is a joy to listen to, sort of Duane Eddy, Shadows, Ventures meets the rhythms of Cuba, very much in the Santo & Johnny "Sleepwalking" vein.
VINE VOICEon 18 May 2003
Well, the reviews were generally positive. One track sounded OK on Bob Harris' Sunday night BBC6 DAB radio show. And that's about it.
Skillful playing -most certainly. Utterly devoid of any kind of passion -an equal certainty. Production -slick, but with iffy levels.
Draw your own conclusions, but I really didn't like this album. It feels very cold; almost clinical in many respects, which is utterly at odds with the styles of music it attempts to fuse, and makes it rather tiresome to listen to. A real pity: Ry Cooder has done some classic albums in his time, but something's gone wrong here and this, for me, isn't one of them -I got no enjoyment at all from listening to it, and was always glad when it ended (I kept trying, hoping it might be just me having an off day or two).
You will notice I wrote about it in the past tense. That's because it went to my local second hand store a fortnight after I bought it.
on 8 June 2008
I totally agree with the previous review. I have never played this to anyone without a 'Whats that amazing music?' response, it speaks of hot, lazy summer days. You can imagine yourself sitting, cold beer in hand gazing at the heat haze over the Sierra Nevada.
on 3 December 2015
I really enjoy this record.
When I'm sat in heavy traffic, inching my way down the M6 on a Friday afternoon and that Steve Wright and his irritating side-kick start waffling between records......I just put this on and once again, all is calm and bright.
on 8 November 2014
Unmistakably Cooder.
Great feel to this Cubanesque beat...
on 18 October 2015
Surprised when I heard this cd from Ry Cooder.
on 19 December 2014
Poor sound.... Disappointed.
on 4 February 2016
Great music,arrived on time
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2003
I like Ry Cooder. But something for me has gone horribly pear-shaped here. The playing seems mechanical, and rather cold, which is somewhat at odds with the intrinsic Cuban style of the album. Very strange. I won't speculate about why, and plenty of people will love this album.
But I don't, sadly. I'll take the one good track that Bob Harris likes. You can keep the rest if you like.
Ah well.