on 25 July 2008
I bought these and expected that the benefits of IS were over-stated.. however I am truly amazed. IS makes a HUGE difference to resolving power. These really live up to expectations.
0Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 October 2011
Looking at the specifications I was dubious about these: normally 10 power bins need an objective lens of 50mm or more. The lack of waterprrofing also concerned me at the price: and when they arrived with a rather flimsy case and no objective lens caps I feared the worst.

However, in the field all doubts were blown away by the performance. Bird identification was a breeze with these: I also had with me comparable priced Hawke 8 x 43 EDs (better coated lenses, waterproof, great case and lens caps) and the Canons stood up well to the test comparison. However, when the Image Stabilisation button was depressed , there was no contest: the Canon image became rock steady, and I was instantly sold.

After six months hard use, I remain a fan of these bins. They are light enough to be "go anywhere" binoculars - although much heavier than 10x25s, and the performance with IS, negating handshake, mean that I don't take the Hawkes out any more. The binoculars take one AA battery: I use rechargeables (2500 mA) and one lasts me two or three sessions (although I always carry a spare.) Of course, if the battery dies, you can still use the bins without IS, and they'll do the job.

I don't care any more about lack of good case - I carry them in my rucksack, in a bumbag, but more usually just around my neck. I don't fret about lack of lens caps: I just don't pack them with hard objects - but as they spend most of their time around my neck, I'd not want them anyway. These are great binoculars: cannot recommend them enough!
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 May 2012
These Binoculars are a present for my husband on his 65th birthday, which has yet to occur. However we have both thoroughly examined them and he has briefly tried them out spotting birds in our garden, including tracking Red Kites in flight, and appears delighted with them so far. I have put them away until his birthday which is still 2 weeks hence. We will be travelling up to the Isle of Lewis then, and I know that he is very much looking forward to spotting sea birds and wildlife, also studying the stars (weather permitting!) These binoculars with their Image Stabilisation facility are ideal for everything that my husband requires. They are very compact, and seem very sturdy and fit for purpose. The only slight, and I hope that it is only a slight, downside is that front lens caps are not provided. I realise that the front lenses are set well back into the binoculars, but I do hope that keeping the lenses clean, dry and scratch free will not present a problem with use. The delivery service was excellent too from LambdaTek ComponentShop, the binoculars arrived within 2 days of ordering. I am extremely pleased with this purchase so far, and would highly recommend using this company and ordering these particular binoculars from them, especially if you are interested in looking at wildlife in motion, or Astronomy. Sincerely, Mrs L Morgan.
on 23 March 2014
I don't know how to describe adequately my surprise and delight when I looked through these binoculars and pressed the stabilisation button for the first time. I really did say "wow", out loud. Other reviewers have pointed out that optically these are very good glasses but not the best. This hardly matters, the stabilisation works so well that the view is simply amazing and surpasses conventional binoculars, even the very best, by allowing you to see properly.

Powered by 2 AA batteries, stabilisation is activated by gently pressing and holding a small button on the top of the body; this is not at all bothersome. On pressing, there is a faint movement inside the binoculars as the IS starts-up. It is effective almost immediately but seems to settle into full effectiveness in1-2 seconds. Thereafter, the natural 'earthquake' shakes from my hands are eliminated and the image becomes still. The stillness allows very precise focusing; the whole experience is relaxing and enthralling. I wish I had bought these binoculars years ago.
on 21 January 2016
These are excellent. I've had them a year now and they never fail to impress.
I use them for (very) amateur astronomy, some wildlife watching and general holiday usage.

The image is crystal clear and the image stabilisation is incredible. It takes about a second to kick in after you press the button, but works like a dream.

The soft case makes them easy to carry around and keeps the weight down. It would be good to have some covers for the lenses so you can safely carry them without the case, but it's not a deal breaker.
on 19 November 2013
I bought these after much thought and deliberation. And I was not disappointed.

The image stabilization is beautiful, not to mention the general clarity of images and light gathering ability. Sometimes it even seems to cut through fog and produce some great views.

If I had to complain, I guess I would have been happier with more magnification, but that would have pushed the weight and the price up (there is a higher spec model available). Overall, great value for money and very sturdy for regular outdoor use
on 15 June 2015
clear image quality, heavier than I thought, image stabiliser is very good but would probably be more useful on higher magnification binoculars,
the case is very flimsy not suitable for heavy wear, and the eye caps are of poor quality, could be more sturdy and linked together with a provision to attach to the binoculars strap.
but the main thing is the binoculars which are fantastic the image quality is superg, t6his why 5 stars
on 24 March 2014
After a mediocre start, when it seemed they could not be widened to suit my eye separation, I found that, contrary to the way it felt, they were actually spreading a little too far!
Reviews I've seen (off Amazon) have suggested that they are steadiest if using them seated. That may be so but I've not found any problems with stabilisation anyway.
I just wish I could justify the expense of some with higher magnification!
on 25 September 2011
These binoculars are the best I have ever used, apart from their big brother the 10x42 ISWP.
Not waterproof, but who wants to birdwatch in the pouring rain anyway?
Clarity outstanding, focus smooth (though perhaps a little high-geared for insensitive fingers)
Carrying zip pouch is adequate although it does not provide much protection.
The image stabilisation is easy to use and renders the image rock-steady.
Relatively light in weight and therefore easy to carry round neck without fear of amputation!
on 17 November 2012
I was after a pair of binoculars to replace a general purpose pair, so I decided to investigate stabilised binoculars. I treated myself to these Canon binoculars on the strength of the reports on Amazon and elsewhere. They exceeded my expectations. The image quality is amazing with the stabilisation activated. I have used them for astronomy - the level of detail visible on the moon is most impressive. I have also used them in a light aircraft and have found them to give very good results but the air needs to be smooth. I have also been astounded when viewing overflying light aircraft - the level of detail far exceeds what could be seen using conventional binoculars. In fact, I can't rate them highly enough, and I got them at a great price too!