on 22 November 2011
Good Nikon original remote. Works from both back and front of our new D5100 (some cameras apparently have only one sensor; worth checking). Seems to have about a 20-foot range, although we have only tried indoors so maybe it could go further. It comes with a little black cloth pouch which will thread onto the camera strap. If I had to criticise, I would say it is quite easy to lose, and it is quite anonymous in its pouch - I wrote on the outside just so I know what it is in future when I have not used it for three months. Just to repeat advice given by other reviewers, you need to set the 'Release Mode' on the camera to 'Remote Release', otherwise it is easy to fear a dud. Release Mode is in one of those endless menus, but on at least the D5100 you can assign the Fn button on the front left to Release Mode which makes sense if you plan to use it a lot. I think there is also a delayed release which flips the mirror, waits and then takes the picture; good in reducing camera shake to a minimum but not very spontaneous. As you might detect, I am still playing.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This is a must for anyone who is looking to do some professional remote shutter action shots.

I have had this item for over 2 years now, and it is still as reliable as ever. It is used almost daily during my work as a professional photographer. I am aware there is newer adaptions that you can use with your smartphone etc. however I have found them to be unreliable in a professional shooting environment (and slightly unprofessional if you start going on our phone during a shoot).

I rely on this item heavily and it has never let me down in its 2 year service. If you are looking for a high quality shutter remote then look no further than this product.
on 17 November 2010
This works great with my Nikon D5000. I was a bit worried that it would only work if I pointed it to the front of the camera, however it works from behind this camera too. I suspect there is a sensor on the back of the Nikon D5000 as well as the front. Also, with the D5000, when you press the button, it focuses first and then takes the shot (I had read in some of the reviews that you had to focus the camera first - i.e. half press the real button on the camera, before using the remote, but this is not the case for my camera).

Like others have mentioned, I thought it was broken when it wouldn't work straight away. I had to change the setting on the camera to accept remote input.

The only issues I have with it are:
1. It's small and light and so can be easily lost or misplaced. It should have come with a keyring hole or clip. (Although it does come with a little bag that can be attached to the neck band of the camera).
2. It would have been perfect if it had the same functionality as the real button on the camera. i.e If it could do half presses too, just for focusing without having it also take the photo.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 September 2012
This product is great and extremely easy to use. You need to have Infrared on the camera though. My camera is a Nikon D5100 and works fine. If you are considering this you need to check that your camera has the built-in remote sensor. If not then this won't work.

Anyway... the device is incredibly simple. Just one button, no cables to mess around with and no configuration. All you need to do is change the camera's shutter release mode to 'Remote - fast' or 'Remote - delayed' and then press the button on the remote. If set to auto-focus the camera will focus itself based on the settings you have applied and then release the shutter. Fast mode activates the shutter as soon as you press the button and delayed causes the shutter to operate a few seconds after you press the button - allowing you time to get the remote out of sight if you are taking a self or group portrait.

Having this means there are no longer 100's of holiday photos without me in them! As it is so simple and can be used to fire off the shutter as soon as you press the button it is much easier than faffing about with a timer.

I also use it for long exposure shots. To overcome the movement from removing my hand from the shutter I always used to set a 5 second timer to give the camera time to settle but often this wouldn't be adequate. Now I can set up the shot, put the viewfinder hood on to stop light bleeding in and then step back and fire the shutter on delay mode so there is absolutely no movement at all.

Definitely recommended.
on 23 April 2017
Works really well with my D7100. Very happy with it.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 October 2011
It is good but be aware of the fact that the battery compartment is very very difficult to open to replace the battery. I had to use a dinner knife.
It works on the Nikon D5000 indoors from almost any direction but outdoors only from in front. If you want it for wildlife shooting remember that with the D5000 and probably most cameras there is a limit to how long the camera will stay in remote mode.The D5000 is 15 mins max,it would be possible to take a shot after 14 mins, then it would restart the 15 mins again.It will on the D5000 take shots in quick succession, as fast as you can press the button or if you have continuious shooting set. It's very flimsy and cheap looking not well made, so buy at the best price you can.It comes with a small cheapo pouch .I have just come back from a trip where I used the ML-L3 extensively and found that it will work at about 12/15 meters away,I set my camera to stay in remote mode for 5 mins which worked well but beware if you set 1 minute and use live view you may be timed out before you have got your subject sorted and it has focused etc. I used the live view on my D5000 to compose the shot,sometimes closing live view down and shooting in program mode which makes the focusing much quicker.The camera has a small light that flashes to tell you the shot is taken but you cant always see it in Sunlight.I used it with flash as well with no problems,even red eye reduction worked as well.I would have given 5 stars if the build quality was better.[ASIN:B00007EDZG Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control]]
on 3 May 2018
I like the ease of use of this product and the ability to compose the shot in which I am included , and which I can delay taking until the very last second , as opposed to using the self-timer which involves having to wait until after the timer is activated by myself or by a third party.
on 26 August 2015
This is my second ML-L3 remote (first one bought in 2009) and worked flawlessly, no battery issues, but you can guess what happened: I lost it! The thing is tiny: that's both a blessing and a curse; just be careful with yours. In terms of function, it does what it's supposed to do! I mainly use it for long exposures for landscape or bulb mode. I've tried this on a D40, D7000 and will be using this with the D750. I'm aware there are other cheaper brands out there but I've always stuck with Nikon for peace of mind and I got that;
on 7 June 2012
Excellent with my Nikon D80 but, as others have mentioned, there are no instructions. The only piece of paper in the box was something telling me not to put the battery in general waste in 24 different languages! I had to go to the camera handbook, which is not the world's best if you're trying to look something up. Looking for remote control in the index doesn't get you anywhere! I had to look at one of the camera diagrams to find the page on how to set the camera up for use with the remote control. Dead easy when you know how.

In all conscience I can't give five stars because of the lack of instructions with the remote control but the gadget itself works very well. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Oh, one other thing: several people have mentioned a dead battery. Try pulling out the clear plastic protective tab sticking out of the battery compartment first!
on 21 December 2016
If you own a Nikon and you haven't got one then buy it. Don't waste money on slightly cheaper copies they don't work anywhere near as well
2 people found this helpful