on 7 February 2012
I was looking for a reasonably priced set of quality multipurpose headphones and I couldn't have been happier when I got these out the box.

I've been holding off writing review for a few months because I wanted to give them a good testing period to see what they were like to live with, and I can report that I'm still as happy with them now as I was when they arrived.

I've used them as monitor headphones within my video editing set up in a studio environment and out on location during video production. But I'm also using them as my casual headphones for listing to my music and online videos.
The set has a decent cable length long enough to allow me movement when working, but also short enough not to become too much of a hindrance when using them casually. The cable feels quality too, nice and thick and terminated in a pleasingly heavy metal jack plug, gold plated of course.

I'm no audiophile, but I know there a many reviews online describing the precise details of the head phones sound quality, all I can say is that the detail and depth of the sound produced by these far surpasses anything else I own. I would also like to highlight the isolating qualities of these headphones, ok they're not as effective as Beyer headsets that I've used, but for the price and portability, these certainly hold their corner.

I have read other people's concerns about the protruding wires above the ear cups that connect across the head band, however unless you're planning to drag them through something similar to a thorn bush, I fail to see how they could be damaged in regular use, mine have been shoved and crammed into many bags and have suffered no ill effects.

In conclusion, quality, comfortable, reliable and affordable.
on 30 May 2012
I am pretty fussy with my music as I play and record. In my studio I have a pair for £130 Beyerdynamic DT 770 studio headphones which are amazing. I purchased the M30's for everyday music listening at work and have also tried them in the studio. I find them extremely comfortable for all day listening, the on the ear design is great as it doesn't heat up your head as much as my Beyer's with their over ear design. They don't isolate you from the room that much as they are on ear but they don't let sound bleed out to those around you. I can run them at full volume without anyone around me hearing anything, perfect for the office as you can still hear when someone is trying to attract your attention. The build quality is very good for the price - tough plastic with strong cable and very good quality connectors.

So how about the sound? Rich thick bass, detailed mid and treble. Great for rock, dance, trance, jazz, classical or whatever is your fancy. Makes listening a joy, very happy with them.

Suitable for studio/mixing work? Not for me.: not enough isolation from the room, not a flat enough response, not enough low end bass. That's not to say they are useless in this capacity, just not quite what you need.

Should I have spent more/less? For £50 ish they are neither expensive or cheap. I don't think I would spend any less and for use every day at work I wouldn't want to spend more. Spot on.
on 8 January 2014
After a few day search for headphones that sounded good I found these and the M50's.

I tried many different headphones in my local store and bought 2 different pairs before I got these. I bought Sony XB600 with bad vocal reproduction and the AKG 518 which were better than the sony but many songs sounded muddy and unnatural.

The Audio Technica is just what I have been searching for. They provide clear sound with clear male and female vocals.

The Bass is good although for some it may not be enough if you like heavy bass.

I also listen to lots of jazz music and jazz sounds amazing on these. Especially solo saxophone which is very important to me:))

To sum up: a very good pair of headphones that are comfortable and sound accurate.
on 2 August 2013
I have been using this pair of headphones for all kind of tasks: audio recording, listen to music, podcasts. They are very good for anything that involves voice, especially podcasts or tutorials because they are extremly light and confortable.

Comfort can be subjective. I say this because they compress your ears, which is great for sound isolation but can be quite unpleasant if you have big ears. In that case i would recommend something more open in terms of design like the Sennheiser HD 518.

Sound quality is simply amazing. You can clearly hear every instrument separately. Highs and mids are splendid. Bass is strong but you can only hear it, not feel it. It won't make your ears vibrate or anything like that. Still, it will make you hear new sounds in your favourite songs. Even songs like dubstep, it's a pleasure to hear in these headphones cause, unlike most headphones, voice is clear and vivid and so is the bass.

If you like music as much as i do, these headphones will be just the beginning. You will be so satisfied that eventually you will be wanting to escalate the sound quality and jump to new headphones like the ATH-M50.

Amazing headphones to start in the world of true sound quality.
on 16 March 2014
These headphones sound AMAZING. The sound is flat, rather than being too bass heavy, like on many headphones, ahem *Beats*. I can honestly say that these sound better than Beats costing double the price!

They look good too!

The only issue I have is that I cannot use them for too long, because they start to hurt my ears. I am not sure if this is too do with the way my head is formed, but if I use them for more than three hours continuously, my ears start to hurt. A quick fix is to remove them for half an hour or so, then I can listen to them for another three hours (approximately).

In addition, the spring that is on the cord at the end (where the 3.5mm headphone jack is) has come off my pair, due to it being a bit weakly attached I think.

But really, these are really minor issues, so I have no issue recommending these to anyone. I really don't think there is anything better.
on 28 April 2013
I doubt the quality at first but they are amazing :)

Really gets you immersed into your music thanks to the fact that they built for monitoring professional music :)

Best for iPod Classics, PCs and Macs I say.

Only downside is the length of the wire, yet that can be forgive :)

Though I do hope that in the future Audio-Technica make an update version of these headphones with less wire length, I still say get these now as they are so much better than for example - SkullCandy headphones (Break too easily; resulting in you spending more than £100 on the brand like me to discover the headphones are not good for everyday music listeners).

If you get warranty with these headphones as well, you likely save money (Yet, not needed to be honest as to this day they still working well with little to none wear and tear)

GET THE Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Closed Back Dynamic Stereo Monitor Headphones NOW :D
on 2 May 2011
Great set of headphones. Comfortable, good-quality sound. They have a clear mid and high range while delivering a perfect subtle bass with ease.
What I like about these headphones is the soft tone to the sound they produce, meaning I can use them for hours on end without getting tired ears. I have had this pair of headphones for over 5years without any problems.
The only bad thing I can say about them is that the thin, leathery material covering the padding of the cups wore out and tore, however, removing the torn parts revealed a just-as-comfortable second layer that looks just as good.
on 4 December 2012
These are great headphones. I have has them for around 6 months now (not sure exactly) but they sound great and are as good as ever. They sound, well, great. I'm no audiophile, but to me this feels like awesome sound for the price. They are great for music, films, gaming and any other sound you will need. It came with a handy screw on adaptor to turn it from 3.5mm to 6.5mm sized jack, so I can plug it into my bass amp and play without disturbing anyone else.

They have a lot of padding and are extremely comfortable. I can easily forget I'm wearing them within ten seconds of putting them on, and I can stay like that for hours. They have a sturdy feel and are clearly made with care, and suggests a good build quality. The wire is very long, handy for PC's on the floor and plugging it in to stereo systems a fair bit away but can be annoying at times. The jack itself is connected to the wire with a solid metal plug (I'm not really sure what to call it). My previous three pairs of headphones had rubberised plastic connections, which broke easily and cause sound to be played only in one ear. The metal connector is very sturdy and feels quality.

All great things about these headphones aside, there are a few small problems.
1) Occasionally I hear a rattling in the left can. This can quite literally be solved by shaking my head a bit, but it is still annoying and could be an issue (like a loose part or something)
2) Sometimes I can hear a static when playing songs loudly. This only happens on my iPod though, it's fine on my computer.

That's about it.
These headphones are great sounding, comfortable and have good build quality. Definitely 5 stars, the best headphones I have ever used!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2011
Very pleased with these headphones.
Sound is clear and pleasing.
Fitting is very comfortable.
Small bits of wire connecting speaker end to head bracket end could be hidden.
Cable is well thought out with anti fold spring on jack end but I would like
a jack on headphone end too (like my Citronics).
on 15 August 2014
I bought this product a year ago and it's still going strong, the headphones itself are extremely loud and being hard of hearing really helped in that regard the only thing I would point out is, it soon becomes hard to see the difference between what other headphones or headsets here and what this one hears, still though the product is amazing and the wire is extremely long which helped in managing which slot on my pc to plug it into. I never used the gold-plated attachment for the socket but on their own these headphones are amazing.

The audio is crystal clear and the cups feel soft and inviting the only issue is obviously wearing these for a long time and being on the pc a lot the cups are looking a little worn but if they're on my head only I see them so not much of an issue at all.