Customer reviews

Kes [DVD] [1969]
Format: DVD|Change

on 9 November 2016
Great piece of 70's Yorkshire/barnsley history depicting real down-to-earth life along with the main character interests of the film, billy and 'Kes'.

If it hadn't been for my school history teacher bringing in a vhs copy to school for us all to watch, I might not have possessed the same heart felt appreciation for this fine piece of movie history. This is one of those films you can see a little bit of yourself (or an awful lot in my case) in the characters, which for me at the time wasn't always fun, but as a survivor of similar and or worse school life situations, I can afford to look back and smile with a sense and sigh of relief.

Extra's are great especially a recent David Bradley video blog reflecting on his own experience.

Very pleased with the Masters of Cinema blu ray release.
on 10 November 2017
Gritty, realistic, uplifting and heart wrenching. Superbly acted especially by David Bradley in the leading role but also a convincing supporting cast. The film is set in 1970s Sheffield and has an authenticity to it perfectly capturing a time of traumatic social change in the history of Britain. Highly recommended.
on 21 October 2017
Bought this for part of my studies and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Even my partner enjoyed it and he doesn’t normally like older films. Unfortunately the disc skipped near the end so had to watch the final scene on YouTube.
on 28 July 2017
Something alot us remember from our school days. A heartwarming tale tinged with sadness, set against a gritty backdrop. Something which evokes a point time, and which can be viewed as a snapshot of society.
on 1 September 2017
Great movie from one of the great socialist directors. Buy this if you have never seen it. It is a heartwarming and inspiring story with a tinge of sadness..
on 14 October 2017
Not quite like the first time I saw it, as far as I remember. I seem to think it was Blk& Wht film. It seemed longer the first time I saw it too. It's a good story.
on 13 April 2017
One of Britain"'s greatest films.
on 12 September 2017
This was a lovely bit of nostalgia for me after I read the book during my primary school years, the football scene with the late great Brian Glover always makes me laugh "I'm Bobby Charlton today lol and the missed penalty" class.
on 25 May 2017
Good to read the background story.
on 28 September 2017
excellent film, brought back many memories from that era