on 28 May 2004
I was born in '76, and was 7 by the time the last season of The Professionals was aired in 1983. As a young boy I was obviously busting to watch this action packed cop drama but was never allowed to. So roll on 2004, I took the plunge and purchased the whole set. I was blown away. Expecting a campy, badly acted, horribly dated British cop TV serves, what I infact got was a well acted, tense, action packed series. Bodie & Doyle's relationship is very intriguing. Bodie being the all action man, loves the fights, and the chases ( being an ex-army man ) Doyle is the more sensitive of the two, and is more interested in the human side of crime ( being an ex Copper ). In between the action scenes, there are some great comedy moments, mainly between those two. Great banter and humor in the script too. Then of course there is Cowley - The dour Scot with a quick temper, but he loves his boys and although he disciplines them now and again, he's also always willing to offer them a 'pure malt whiskey' after successfully taking out a terrorist. Gordon Jackson plays this role superbly and you really warm to him the more you watch. Martin Shaw is a fine actor, and his long curly locks, and campish scarf that he starts wearing really made me chuckle ( he's supposed to be a rock hard geezer! ) Ofcourse there's some poor episodes out of the 57, usually when Bodie, Doyle & Cowley are not on the screen together. As for the best season? Tough call - 1st series is great after the first 2 or 3 episodes. I also really enjoyed the 4th series, although many felt it started to slacken then. Just get it - you can watch a few episodes in a week. There's nothing like it on TV now, no flash effects or hand held camera approaches. No model-like actors pretending to be hard. Just gritty, 70's action/drama with a great script and loads of violence. All boys stuff!
on 9 September 2004
This set was bought for me as a gift from my Boyfriend, and I can honestly say I couldn't have picked a better present if I had chosen it for myself. When I was a teenager I loved this series and never missed an episode. I now know why (because it's brilliant). From the Theme Music, to the Car Chases and of course the terrific acting from it's three main stars (Martin Shaw, Lewis Collins and Gordon Jackson) this series is a winner from start to finish. They don't make TV like this anymore. I'd advise anyone who enjoyed watching it the first time around to buy it - it's always fun to re-live your youth.
on 6 July 2004
This box set is fantastic value for money. It took four months to watch the whole 57 episodes - the record being six in a day. One or two dodgy episodes, but overall classic seventies cop drama.
The DVD itself is a great package and well worth shelling out a few quid for - probably the best value box set in my collection.
Oh - The haircuts and clothes are fantastic.
on 14 August 2003
I'd forgotten Lewis Collins was so sexy!
Anyone who is a fan of the Professionals will want this set. The extras are interesting rather than amazing, but my favourites are the sections on the fashions of the times (late 70's/early 80's). Did men really wear such tight trousers? Or such wide collars?
The DVDs are pretty good quality, although it is strange to realise these were made before widescreen. Subtitles are not included, though.
Apart from the fashions, it is the attitudes that have changed since then. Some of the comments would be seen now as sexist, and the episode 'Klansmen' (unseen on terrestrial television)was pulled even at that time because of the racism and violence within it.
But for all that, what you see is what you get - a slam-bang, fast cars and loud guns cop show, and it's great fun. Particularly for Lewis Collins fans!
on 10 March 2006
I'm not going to go into the show much, as you've probably read the other reviews (or seen the show on Men and Motors) by now.
57 episodes for (effectively) £1 or so each(!) Certainly, there's a good few substandard or formulaic stories, but there's an awful lot of great stuff too. At the price, who's complaining?
The downside... although marked as remastered, the picture's far from brilliant. Too bright, washed-out colours, poor balance, noise, etc. Supposedly this is a result of problems with the original film processing, bad handling, rather old transfers (on analogue tape), loss of the source footage to remaster from.... enough said.
Apparently the newer release of The Professionals (this review relates to the 2002 "wooden" box set) has slightly better contrast/colour, but not by a great deal. I'm sure it would be possible to remaster this stuff much better (original negs or not)... given *lots* of money. Given the prices they'd have to charge to recoup this, the market probably isn't there. And you wouldn't be getting them this cheap.
As I said, this is great value for money, 2 days non-stop entertainment, and the picture's still pretty watchable.
on 25 January 2004
This boxset is beautifuly packaged with a small information booklet with each series DVD set...isnt it brilliant to be able to see the creator Brian Clemens the brains behind this and several other unforgetable series such as the Avengers airing his thoughts on the series...The picture(digitaly remastered) and sound quality (mono)are excellent,though I understand the original masters are no longer available to work with..a lot of trouble has gone into producing this DVD boxset I wish all the tv and Film companies would take nearly as much trouble when releasing classic tv shows and movies onto dvd....

Televisualy yours

Jim Clark..London..England
Re-animator of great poets and literary figures at the poetryreincarnations youtube channel
on 2 November 2001
action packed series from the late seventies,good storylines not a duff episode amongst the entire series
Close Quarters and Man Without a Past are my favourites in this batch Look out for some familiar faces in early roles
some of the episodes were filmed locally to where l live, its amazing to see how the area has changed over the years and l've got it on video for prosperity
on 24 August 2001
At last, the All Action Professionals are back ! The Professionals is every little boys dream, gunfiring, fights and manic driving from the secret "CI5" division, an elite criminal intelligence force, out to prevent the potential threats possible in the 1970's. Excellent lead actors Martin Shaw, Lewis Collins & Gordan Jackson help bring across the scripts and keep even the duller episodes ticking over nicely. If you dont remember the Professionals, get a video and watch it - you wont be disapointed... Thankfully, these Kult TV releases mean that Professionals fans dont have to rely on the chopped up Satelite TV transmissions. The sound/picture quality is excellent, and each box set contains a good mix of episodes.
on 24 February 2004
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. OK, THERE ARE A FEW EPISODES THAT ARE NOT 100% BUT I HAVE TO BE HONEST, THE PRO'S HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST EVER ACTION TV SERIES EVER. AND TO PICK UP ALL 57 EPISODES FOR 49 QUID!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PEOPLE AT AMAZON ARE SMOKING BUT, CAN I HAVE SOME PLEASE.
I FIRST SAW THIS WHEN I WAS A KID AND I LOVED IT. NOW AFTER WATCHING THE SERIES AGAIN ALL UNCUT(ARE U LISTENING GRANADA PLUS?) I WAS EXPECTING IT TO BE REALLY DATED AND CHEESY. BUT GUESS WHAT? IT'S GREAT. ALOT OF THE EPISODES ARE SO EXPERTLY PLOTTED AND COMPLEX THAT I OBVIOUSLY MISSED ALOT OF THE IMPORTANT PLOT CHARACTERISTICS AND TWISTS WHEN I WAS 9 COS I WAS MORE INTERESTED IN THE CAPRIS AND GUN FIGHTS.
IT'S VERY RARE THESE DAYS TO FIND STUFF OF THIS QUALITY ON TV BUT HEY I AM BIASED.
THAT'S ENOUGH OF THAT. I AM OFF OUT NOW TO BY A BLACK AFRO WIG AND A GOLD FORD CAPRI AND TO PICK UP SOME BIRDS.
on 14 November 2005
I first saw The Professionals over reruns on satellite TV earlier this year, having never seen the show before (being only 17 years of age). I instantly fell in love and ordered this box set almost immediately, which could have been a major problem. But this show is just classic, the fact that I have been converted is a sign of that.
It is, while not exactly timeless (the clothes and cars see to that), a hugely enjoyable show. Although maybe a little outdated and sexist at times (for instance, when in one episode Bodie remarks to Doyle, "You know, I've never had a Chinese bird," they aren't talking about chickens), it retains an auroa of innocence.
The car chases and gun- and fist-fights are riveting, and plots are gripping. The un-cut episodes give you much more information on the plot that was cut out of the aired versions and therefore makes them much more comprehensible, and the extras are wonderful (even though in the interview with Albert Fennell and Laurie Johnstone the men seem much more keen to talk about their work on 'The Avengers'!), and give a lot more background to the show for newer fans.
I definitely recommend it, and I would be frankly disappointed if any fans turned down this offer. £50 isn't really a lot for over 2 days straight viewing, is it?