Top critical review
12 people found this helpful
A word of warning from Jay
on 10 April 2003
To balance some of the reviews already posted, some criticisms:
- The estimation of 30-50 minutes recording on a 128MB (Viking) flash should be considered with caution. As per any compression technology, the maximum time achieved depends on the content of the recording. I made a non-stop recording of constantly changing, highly detailed images, with a rich level sound, and managed to record only 20 minutes before the flash card was full.
- After two test recordings, each filling the card, the recording contained an error each time, and I was unable to copy the resulting file to my computer due to the error. Since I only have a Viking card, I was unable to verify whether this was due to the card, as it is not stated in the list of compatible cards on the Nisis website.
- Each time I try to use the camera as a webcam it crashes Windows (XP Professional). I have so far not been able to resolve this problem.
- The plastic casing of the camera scratches very easily, and the silver comes off reveiling the black plastic underneath.
- The automatic exposure tends to overexpose the image, so that if you have a bright sky in 20% of the image, the remaining 80% is a little too dark and you lose a lot of detail.
- Turning the focus ring makes a LOT of noise in the end recording
- The microphone makes a lot of noise in windy situations
On the plus side:
- It really is remarkably small and light.
In summary I think, as others, this is a fantastic toy. But it really is just a toy, as the quality of the videos produced are extremely low. Perhaps good for a bit of fun at parties. But in my opinion it does not represent good value-for-money, it would be better to wait a year until the technology improves, or get a normal camcorder and a suitable card for your PC to digitalise the result.