Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 August 2009
DANIEL BAREMBOIM: Live from the Teatro Colòn 2000 -

A joyful Anniversary.

The Teatro Colòn of Buenos Aires, Daniel Barenboim and myself, are compatriots.
Quite a very long time ago, I had a long, wonderful and fruitful relationship with the splendid theatre but I never met Daniel Baremboim. Due the opposite climates between our and European seasons, during torrid August, all artists, best known orchestra directors, different opera ensembles like the German, Italian , French etc. came to play at the Colòn for the happiness of the enormous amount of classical music adepts, to enjoy the soft winter and, by pure chance, a rare and temporary economical successful period.
I was a young student then and I made every possible sacrifice, with the passion of that age, not to loose even one representation. I was as lucky as to listen to Fritz Bush directing Tristan-with Lauritz Melchior- and The Ring cycle with The Berlin Philarmonic and Erich Kleiber , and the Vienna Philarmonic in all Mozart and Strauss Operas, Toscanini, with Verdi and Puccini, Arthur Rubinstein, The Lerner Quartet, Kirsten Flagstadt, etc.etc.
Of course today, dream-like situations like these are impossible. I have read that local artists -not bad at all- continue to maintain the Colòn still alive.( But they are not payed. )Also thanks to some visits from our own musical glories: Martha Argerich, Bruno Gelman, Astor Piazzolla and also Daniel Baremboim in the occasion of this anniversary . (Alas, Jorge Luis Borges and Diego Maradona have no relation with this theatre!)
I was looking forward to receive this CD. Baremboim started playing Mozart's Sonata K330 at a remarkable speed I could not approve. Beethoven's "Apassionata" op57 was passionate but slightly confused as in a certain hurry. With Albeniz he was himself, and still then ,including the encores, I did not appreciate the mixtures of styles that the pianist commented, being happy to have been authentic , playing just what he wanted to. (Scarlatti-Schubert-Schumann-Chopin-Josè Resta- Ginastera-Villa Lobos ) I found the result was hectic and after all, the whole concert was not a pleasure FOR ME.
I think Daniel Baremboim is a better conductor (specially of Wagner whom he adores) , than a writer about music or about himself and his ideals......and also than a pianist.