Customer reviews

on 19 July 2017
Perfect for my family to listen to the music and learn the story before we go to see the ballet in a few weeks time.
on 11 May 2007
I agree with another reviewer this is an excellent introduction to classical music for children. Each piece is preceded by a short narration which tells the story but does not interfere with the orchestra at all.I would recommend it to anyone about to take a youngster to see the ballet. If you are in doubt as to whether they will sit still,don't be. My seven year old grandaughter was enthralled. She loved every minute and I can't wait to take her to see "Nutcracker" - I've already got the naxos cd version.
on 14 September 2005
The Naxos series for children is fantastic - my two children (aged 2 and 3) love listening to this and other titles whilst getting on with their art. Unlike other "music for children" these are extremely well played and not condescending, and the narration telling the story helps everyone make sense of the music.
on 26 November 2012
I love the music to Swan Lake and my three year old daughter and I regularly watch the ballet on DVD. I used to be a dancer so I find it vaguely annoying that the music doesn't always match the exact part of the scene being described and the speed of the music would be impossible to dance to at times. That said my daughter loves it and when we have finished car journey she oftens asks just to sit and listen until the music has finished
This is a charming introduction to classical music in general and to ballet in particular for a wide range of children. Angela Rippon, as befits someone in her previous role, speaks the commentary beautifully clearly and never hints at patronising her young audience. The music of course is a special delight in itself. It might be difficult for some adult buyers to relinquish it to the intended younger recipient.
on 26 September 2013
I listened to this CD and found it quite delightful, have not yet passed it on to the child it was intended for. I really enjoyed it, was very clearly narrated and the music perfect.
on 1 July 2013
item arrived well within the time limit and in excellent condition.

Swan Lake, a true classic. well worth a purchase.
VINE VOICEon 7 August 2013
This is a good recorded performance of Swan Lake. Angela Rippon intorduces and explains each movement, so that you come to know the story well, as well as enjoy the music. It breaks the piece down into manageable chunks.

I suspect adults and those who just want to enjoy the music straight through will look to other recordings of this work such as Tchaikovsky: Ballet Suites

This record is a nice way of introducing the piece to children- and it works well for my daughter who loves ballet.
on 27 July 2016
Also great for long car journeys - for both kids & parents (!)
on 5 January 2017
One of my little girl's favourite, excellent for bed time.