Customer reviews

A Night On The Rocks
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£9.45+ £1.26 shipping

on 20 October 2015
IT WAS COOL! When I say words like that, I really mean that it didn't blow my mind, and at times there could have been more dynamics so I felt that whether it was track arrangement or production something could have been missing as a whole album, but never the less, it housed some lovely tracks. I am a great fan of the original track 'Soul vibration' so I bought the album on this. I also loved Cariad Feat Guy Garvey it was a beauty indeed. So, overall pretty funky, soulful, chilled and pleasant just perhaps some room in there for something?
on 7 January 2012
I bought A Night On The Rocks, way back when, on the back of an enthusiastic Jockey Slut review, & it still sounded pretty good over breakfast this morning, a mere decade later. Pitched somewhere between the accumulated work(s) of Barry Adamson, Doves, and Rae & Christian, with David Holmes' legendary Essential Mix simmering away on the hob, it's an hour of outstanding Northern (Manchester) Soul. Worth a punt, duck!
on 1 November 2002
I bought this album on the strength of the Veba collaberation, having heard her fantastic work with Rae & Christian. But the rest of the album superceded even that! It's a sprawling journey into chilled out, jazzy, funky beats, with some impressive vocal tracks, including Sarah Hill on the acid jazz-style Heavens Above, and the seriously funky, spine-tingling Another Lover featuring Bobby Womack soundalike Pete Simpson. A Night On The Rocks is one of those little gems you will buy on the spur of the moment and then fall in love with forever. What more can I say? Give it a try, you won't be disappointed
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2002
Manchester dance duo J-walk (Martin Brew and Martin Desai) produce a blend of hip-hop, laid-back house and samples that would actually sound out of place on the dancefloor. Opting for the relaxed feel of X Press 2 ('Lazy') certainly produces an album ideal for post-club chilling or hanging at the bar. Combining it with vocal talents such as Guy Garvey (from Elbow), the Michael 'REM' Stipe-esque Pete Simpson (twice) and Veba (of Rae & Chrisian's 'Spellbound') brings welcome variation, even if the first's 'Cariad' does sound as dismal as his day-job.
Pick of the bunch is undoubtedly the female fronted 'Heaven's Above!' in a strong second half to the album. Otherwise the mix incorporates elements of techno, disco and Kraftwerk with interesting results and produces a few notable moments, such as 'Caught on the Hop' and 'Following the Noughties'. Unfortunately, too much of it though - especially the instrumental tracks - blends into one forgettable whole, or even becomes slightly repetitive and annoying on tracks such as 'Soul Vibration' and 'Petrified Blues'. Still, put some of the better songs on car adverts and this could replace Moby on many trendy coffee tables...
on 31 October 2002
I bought this disc on recommendation from Hi Fi Choice. Being interested in progressive tunes, particularly the sampled kind of dance synonymous with that of The Avalanches, Daft Punk etc. I thought I'd spin the disc myself, and am I glad I did! This has to be on my list as top ten albums of the year. Taking cuts from Northern Soul classics and sixties pop rock scratch vinyl this is a superbly crafted album. A couple of exemplary tunes are the hip disco tracks nine: Heaven's Above and the chilled chug of No.11 French Letter.
Listen to this and smooth away the winter chills.
on 22 March 2008
Some very smooth chilled out tunes on this album. An album were u can sit chill with your freinds over a few drinks and really soak in the smooth beats this album offers. I loved it. 5 stars. Dont think, just feel the music.
on 3 October 2005
One of my all time favourite albums - bought this 2/3 years ago. There are no bad tracks, there are so many sweet beats, rifts and vocals. Very funky, jazzy, electric hip-hop... I would give this 9.5 out of ten.