Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on 22 February 2014
I accept that Celestron is "cheap and cheerful", but for £10 I hadn't expected such a piece of junk! This is a nasty bit of cheap plastic, poorly moulded, badly finished, (the flash lines simply sliced through the thread), and assembled with such lack of care that the outer part had split through the word, "Moon". It came in a plastic bag inside a flimsy card box. On receiving it I ordered a Revelation ND96 Premium Moon Filter.... £1.98 more (Vat). It is an all metal body, threaded both sides, beautifully finished, and supplied in a padded snap-shut case. THAT is what I call value for money!
on 15 July 2015
The construction of this filter leaves a lot to be desired. The transmission is OK but the filter is made of a soft plastic (feels like polypropylene) and as a result I find it im.possible to screw into any eyepieces, including a Celestron Ultima eyepiece I have.

I suggest going a bit upmarket and getting one with a decent assembly. I'll most probably get another but make sure it is metal or a harder plastic.
on 25 January 2013
I am a complete novice to astronomy and bought this item to go with a recently purchased Celestron 114EQ telescope. It does exactly what it is intended for.
on 17 February 2012
This was the first filter I bought for my telescope so wasn't sure what to expect; however, as a keen photographer I had certain expectations of an optical filter.

As this filter is manufactured by Celestron, bought this thinking it would be a good quality filter - it really is not, it is all plastic construction, not necessarily a bad thing, but this really is rough quality which makes it more difficult to fit (the threads are quite fine on eyepieces and the plastic frame of this filter is a roughly finished moulding which really makes it difficult to fit) it has a green colour cast which may help when viewing the moon to bring out some features but with the quality of this filter I found the image to be really poor. I have since bought the Revelation Eyepiece and Filter Set which has a good quality neutral density filter and is a much better quality part and the resultant image of the moon is infinitely better - when you see the quality of these filters you would never waste money on this part - there really is no comparison.

I would say shop around and buy a good quality ND filter instead of this. Unfortunately you get what you pay for and you don't have to pay much more to get a much better filter...
on 18 August 2016
This was the first filter I purchased since getting back into stargazing. It makes a huge difference and I would encourage anyone planning to do any observing of the moon to get one. The only reason I haven't given it the full five stars is that I am not convinced the thread is going to last long with use. I am more than happy to be proved wrong though!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 January 2011
Optically this filter is OK - ie it doesn't seem to distort the image in any way.

Unfortunately that's about all I can say that's positive about this filter!

I was very disappointed to open the packet to find the lens housed in very soft plastic. The screw thread (which screws into the bottom of your - probably metal - is made of the same soft platic and I really can't see it surviving very many attachments and removals.

Yes, you have to be careful with every bit of your telescope, but this really is substandard and it seems that normal use will wear this out very quickly.

I was also disappointed with the difference it makes to the image. Very very little. I'm using this with a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD and there is very little dimming of the image (the idea of these filters being that some of the lunar glare is removed revealing more detail). On the Astromaster 130 the lens cap has a smaller cap which can be removed leaving the main cap in place - this is a far more effective way of reducing lunar glare and getting a more contrasty image.

The biggest diference it makes is causing a green cast on images if you try your hand at Astroimaging / digiscoping.

All in all the filter feels cheap but at a current price of 12 quid can hardly really be considered cheap especially when it doesn't actually do much!

[UPDATE]

It melted! I left the filter on the eye-piece and the cap off the scope during the day. The sun did not pass directly in front of the scope, but the daylight concentrated on this plastic filter melted it so that it is now useless.

Luckily, for the same price you can buy the Revelation ND96 Premium Moon Filter 1.25" which is glass and far superior in my opinion. The revelation is an ND filter as well so doesn't have the green cast.

Don't buy the plastic Celestron filter, buy the Revelation ND96 Premium Moon Filter 1.25" - at the time of writing they are within a few pence of each other in price!
on 17 February 2015
Exactly as described and arrived quickly. We've had some excellent views of the moon recently which would be painfully bright without the filter. I was a bit worried after some reviews indicated that it wouldn't fit the Travel Scope 70 but I can confirm it fits the eyepieces perfectly as long as you put it in the right end!
on 18 January 2015
Only one hour long session observing the moon directly using this.
as an absolute newcomer, i was surprised at just how bright the moon appeared even with the filter, i can only think that without one, it would be as uncomfortable as looking at the sun with the naked eye. Defo use one!!!
on 29 May 2013
It does what its meant to and that act as a filter to reduce the brightness of the moon. It does reduce eye strain when observing the lunar surface. But given the choice I'd buy another type. I got this at a slightly reduced price which influenced my decision to purchase. However I've since bought a better one. This filter does work, but is of poor construction. The lens seems to be made of glass. The rest is made of plastic. The means the screw thread is very fragile and will not be at all robust. The screw thread does not fit well to my lenses because of the plastic. I don't expect it to last for very long due to the cheap materials its made of. If anyone is interested in buying a moon filter I would recommend finding something other than this.
on 29 January 2014
The filter is a basic need if you want to observe the Moon, it is simple as that, as our Moon is simply to close by and too bright to observe with a telescope without filter. But ooh ... the green hue the filter causes on photos. It makes the Moon look like cheese that has been lying in the back of the fridge for the last 2 years :)
Fear not, a good photo program like Photoshop or similar will allow you to remove this green hue and you will have some nice images of the Moon.