Customer reviews

Celestron Moon Filter
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(2 star). See all 308 reviews
on 12 June 2017
Not what I expected - not sure if it will be used.
on 4 March 2017
Good.
on 15 July 2015
The construction of this filter leaves a lot to be desired. The transmission is OK but the filter is made of a soft plastic (feels like polypropylene) and as a result I find it im.possible to screw into any eyepieces, including a Celestron Ultima eyepiece I have.

I suggest going a bit upmarket and getting one with a decent assembly. I'll most probably get another but make sure it is metal or a harder plastic.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 January 2011
Optically this filter is OK - ie it doesn't seem to distort the image in any way.

Unfortunately that's about all I can say that's positive about this filter!

I was very disappointed to open the packet to find the lens housed in very soft plastic. The screw thread (which screws into the bottom of your - probably metal - is made of the same soft platic and I really can't see it surviving very many attachments and removals.

Yes, you have to be careful with every bit of your telescope, but this really is substandard and it seems that normal use will wear this out very quickly.

I was also disappointed with the difference it makes to the image. Very very little. I'm using this with a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD and there is very little dimming of the image (the idea of these filters being that some of the lunar glare is removed revealing more detail). On the Astromaster 130 the lens cap has a smaller cap which can be removed leaving the main cap in place - this is a far more effective way of reducing lunar glare and getting a more contrasty image.

The biggest diference it makes is causing a green cast on images if you try your hand at Astroimaging / digiscoping.

All in all the filter feels cheap but at a current price of 12 quid can hardly really be considered cheap especially when it doesn't actually do much!

[UPDATE]

It melted! I left the filter on the eye-piece and the cap off the scope during the day. The sun did not pass directly in front of the scope, but the daylight concentrated on this plastic filter melted it so that it is now useless.

Luckily, for the same price you can buy the Revelation ND96 Premium Moon Filter 1.25" which is glass and far superior in my opinion. The revelation is an ND filter as well so doesn't have the green cast.

Don't buy the plastic Celestron filter, buy the Revelation ND96 Premium Moon Filter 1.25" - at the time of writing they are within a few pence of each other in price!
on 18 January 2015
Never really fit secure to celestron 130
on 22 February 2013
Although the filter was promptly sent it is shown as an item bought along with the Celestron Ultima. I have contacted Celestron and they confirm that this filter is not compatible.
on 2 June 2013
claimed to fit lens thread but doesn't, I know my scope is not the latest model but size is 1.25", i guess you get what you pay for.
on 28 January 2013
Moon is still very bright with the moon filter. I have 4" refractor. Plus it is plastic and you can't attach another filter to it.
on 19 April 2015
Good product. We found that you have to know what you're doing to get the best out of this. I think we expected too much.....
on 7 December 2015
This is tiny. Arrived before date which is always good but product is over priced.