Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 17 June 2017
I loved it but it's perhaps not for everyone. It drags on a bit in places but it's still worth watching.
on 21 May 2017
Excellent. No much else to say really.
on 5 June 2017
Very Good
on 26 January 2013
Lean about wind, wet, cold, heat. 2 disc set with donal mcintyre.good special affects helps you understand how we get the weather we do subtitles English sdh great for school kids to learn about weather.
on 26 April 2017
Great
on 21 May 2017
Crap documentary. Going in the bin.
on 6 June 2012
I use these videos as a teaching resource whilst teaching extreme weather to year 9. Easy to use as the chapters are split into simple sections and a mix of simple explanations and clear case studies make this ideal for use in the classroom. Would recommend to any geography department.
on 6 May 2006
For anyone interested in weather and climate, this series will be fascinating. We Brits have always been obsessed with the weather, but now that we have global warming and an increase in wild weather all over the planet, who wouldn't be interested in the sort of environmental drama that can kill you if you're not prepared? I've watched these programmes several times now - on TV and on the DVDs - and I never tire of them. Quite apart from the tidal wave of information presented here, there's a barrage of beautiful scenery, storm and CGI images - and even the music is very good (apart from the odd "boom chuka boom chuka boom boom boom" and "tika tika tar, tika tika tar" that, for no reason that has ever been adequately explained to me, seem to mar almost ever modern documentary, making subtitles very useful indeed from time to time). Donal MacIntyre is excellent in the role of mad adventurer/presenter. He gets his kit off at every opportunity to imperil and expose his poor body to the elements. I was filled with admiration and sympathy in turns. When he stands in a freezer at -18 degrees centigrade for half an hour, wearing only sandals and shorts, subjecting himself to quite severe hypothermia and showing signs of real physical distress, I shiver along with him as the cold seems to pour from the TV screen into my living room. Doctors and scientists explain the physiological changes that happen to the body when it overheats or loses too much heat, and how these changes lead to damage and even death. Meteorologists and climatologists explain where the weather comes from and what causes the climate to change. It's quite comprehensive and conveyed in good, plain English. My one, tiny niggle is that Donal consistently refers to the Arctic as the "Artic" (short for 'articulated lorry' I thought). Ah well. Nobody's perfect.

We don't often see the most dramatic weather here in Britain, but that could change. Already we're getting more floods and more heat. Even that's caused substantial damage and misery. But if you want to see what the weather is really capable of - if you want to see just what kind of destruction the weather has in its armoury, it's all here on these DVDs: howling winds, tornadoes, thunder and lightning, roaring seas, choking dust storms, ice storms, blizzards. Fabulous and alarming but never boring.
on 15 January 2003
This was my first DVD purchase (initially for the same reason as Catherine - glad I'm not the only one!) based on the broadcast of the series earlier this year, and it certainly doesn't disappoint - well up to the usual high standards of the BBC nature/science team.
Stunning CGIs and Macintyre's very approachable, sometimes self-effacing presentation both entertains and educates. The accounts of people who have survived the worst nature can devise certainly make one think about what we all may be doing (however unconciously) to exacerbate the conditions we all have to live with, and what we may be able to do to counter some of the effects.
The four programmes , when viewed together, show clearly how every aspect of weather is interlinked globally, from the Poles to the Tropics.
Overall, beautiful imagery and the informative script make this DVD well worth a viewing!
(One slight niggle, though - what happened to the out-takes mentioned in the pre-release reviews?! The ones that have been left in the programmes are funny - it would have been nice to see more!)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 December 2011
Had I lived in middle America, I would have been a storm-chaser and, on those rare occasions when we have really violent storms in the UK, I am quite often seen outside watching and enjoying them. This is an excellent DVD and series for this, not only because it shows some truly violent storms, it also explains why they happen and makes Nature much more understandable.

Four one hour programmes filled with information, extraordinary film and research into Nature at its most violent.