Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 January 2005
I had heard alison krauss + union station on the radio many times and had enjoyed their music but not seriously thought of buying an album.
However I decided that after reading some reviews on Amazon that I would buy but didn't think that a "live" album would be very good.I bought this purely because of the number of tracks.Believe me this is a stunning CD.The quality of Alison Krauss's voice is amazing. The music for a "live recording" is just out of this world.I wish I had been there.BUY IT !!!!
on 6 November 2002
Let me start by saying that I’m not generally a great fan of live albums. All too often they come across as little more than a cynical cash-in, in which all the best bits are spoilt by bad production, audience hysteria or (in the case of the traditional live rock album) 10 minute unaccompanied solos by the drummer, the bass-player, and even sometimes (heaven help us!) the singer.
Of course there are a few miraculous standout live sets. Some artistes were made for live music; a theatre audience draws out of them some deep primal magic that the studio cannot capture. Most of the jazz greats were like this: John Coltrane, Miles Davies and so on. Elvis had it; so did Joni Mitchell and Bruce Springsteen. Their best live albums made your heart ache that you weren’t there yourself, even as you were uplifted by the feeling that in a strange sense you were there yourself.

Now we have AKUS Live. And while the great FM-listening masses may not put them in the same class as the King or the Boss, this latest album has some of that same rare charisma. It’s very reasonably priced; the sound is outstanding; the performances are dazzling, and the audience presence is just enough to communicate a sense of excitement without swamping anything. Above all, you get about 100 minutes of Alison and the extended Soggy Bottom family at their incisive best.
They know how to play a song live, these guys - enough like the studio performance that you don’t ever get the urge to go, “Hey! That’s not right” (a common enough fault with live work, you don’t need me to tell you), yet with enough elbow-room for that extra free spark of creative genius to shine out. This is rivetting, gorgeous, exciting live artistry that makes you want to be there.
The song selection could hardly be bettered. Inevitably you’ll wish something had been left out for your special favorite. Mine is ‘Daylight’, and many people would have gone for ‘Momma Cried’. But hey, this is incredibly generous and virtually everything you really need is here (including Ron Block’s awesome solo hit, ‘Faraway Land’, and of course the obligatory ‘Man of Constant Sorrow’).
My final comment is this: You need have no fear that by buying ‘Live’ you are simply duplicating songs you already have. In fact, after just a few spins, these performances have become the reference versions in my mind, and the original studio cuts now sound relative tame and muted in comparison. To so redefine a set of songs, that the concert version becomes the standard by which the original studio recording is judged, is a rare achievement. Joni and Bruce did it repeatedly, and so did Neil Young. I think AKUS can hold their heads up in that company.
22 Comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2017
a true taste of country/bluegrass at its finest!!!!
on 18 March 2017
Absolutely great. AKUS overdose, love it
on 30 April 2017
How can she fail to please
on 28 April 2017
great cd
on 3 May 2017
really great music.
on 3 July 2017
Excellent buy and excellent service form the supplier
on 25 December 2003
Never been a fan of anything approaching country but Stumbled over this outfit on television one night - infact it was this concert I think. Just captivated me, the musicianship and Voices blend perfectly. Just buy it, put it on (not too loud) and marvel!!!
on 14 November 2007
Now then, I must be going soft. After a lifetime (so far) of prog/rock/jazz and heavy classical consumption, the only time I would go near country was on a trip to the seaside.

For sure I've dabbled at the edge of the countryside, sometimes toying with getting an Emmylou Harris album - but never getting round to it (I have loved her Evangeline track on the Band's Last Waltz album for what seems like a hundred years or more) - not really knowing where to start. Back tracking is always tricky. Then I saw the film Walk the Line and marvelled at the vocal talents of Reese Witherspoon (yes, Reese Witherspoon) singing the country style of June Carter-Cash. I loved the way that spoon girl sang - she stirred me for sure! I also love the sound of a decent banjo - oft plucked beautiful on a few Sufjan Stevens tracks I know.

Then a month or so back I saw Leanne Rimes performing on TV from a few years ago - she looked and sounded like an angel and she was singing country. I was entranced but worried about getting old or becoming a trucker or something. Then a couple of weeks ago I saw and heard Ms Krauss performing and talking with Robert Plant about their new venture. Being a bit of a fan of the Plant down the years, I was intrigued by what he had to say about AK and how he had been taken in by her amazing voice. So I clicked a few buttons on Amazon.com, found this live double album with probably the dullest title and cover I've ever clapped eyes on and bought it on spec - for next to nothing.

Now hear me Lord. I can't stop playing it. It's been donkey's years since I've been knocked out by an album in this way. Tomorrow I shall trail on down to the courthouse an' pled ma guilt fer crymes against my ears. I denied `em and I'm willin' ta pay and I ain't gonna tell no-one I'm proud of it neither.

Seriously, the voices, particularly Ms Krauss's, the musicianship, the songs, the tightness of the band and the impeccable recording quality are astonishing. I don't know the difference between bluegrass and any other colour of turf, but I do know a 10 out of 5 album when I hear one - and this is one. All praise be to the good lord music for answering yet another prayer I never uttered. My only problem now is how am I going to break this to my friends?