on 1 August 2010
Having seen this film at the cinema when it was released I am amazed at the positive reviews it has subsequently recieved. The film is such a bad rip off of Dawn Of The Dead that it really should have an apology to George A. Ramero at the end. It even steals several whole scenes from DOTD which in my view is completely unacceptable. If the scriptwriter was unable to come up with an original idea, well that's fair enough, but to then market it as an original horror and expect us all to just clap our hands in appreciation is really not on. As for the people who have given this film five stars I can only guess they have never seen DOTD or have chosen to ignore the huge similarities between the two films.
66 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 October 2011
I watched 28 days later and found it mildly entertaining. Entertaining, but definitely not great. The plot was simply too derivative. What I do not get are all the rave reviews and chirrups of 'how original' it is. 28 Days later is basically I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (written cira 1954) relocated to modern day London. Deadly plague: check. Only a handful of people immune: check. Those infected are turned into zombie-like creatures: check. Even the supermarket scene is a blatant rip-off of Dawn of the Dead. I'm sure Danny Boyle will be quick to write off any similarities as 'homages' but I didn't exactly see him citing Romero and Matheson when all that praise was being heaped on him by the critics. 28 Days later is, in essence, the kind of movie that every zombie-obsessed film school graduate would love to make. Only difference is, Danny got the funding to do it. The biggest belly laugh I had was when people accused Will Smith's I Am Legend of copying 28 Days Later. Hilarious when the source material for I Am Legend is from the 50s. Perhaps people should do their homework before accusing Smith of plagiarizing.
55 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 June 2010
28 Days Later Blu Ray Review 08/06/10

Distributor : 20th Century Fox UK - Region A, B.

Ask anyone to name a Blu ray release with a bad transfer and somewhere in the list will be 28 Days Later. I wanted to find out if the criticism was justified.

The movie was mostly filmed using digital video, which obviously is not going to compete with a 35mm print as far as the transfer quality is concerned. However there have been reports of people stating that this release looks no better than the DVD. All I can say to that, is that they must have been watching a different Blu ray to the one I was re-viewing as this one certainly looked a great deal better than the DVD release. OK, so the 1080p 16x9 wide-screen transfer is not going to be able to handle the "Pepsi Challenge" up against let's say "The Dark Knight" or a similar release, however considering the way the film was shot, this actually is the best it can ever really look. The colours in the print are much more defined than in the DVD and the picture seems a great deal sharper. It is also worth noting that towards the final act of the movie, the filming switched to regular 35mm and this footage simply blows away the DVD release.

Audio is presented in 5.1 DTS HD which again is a world away from the DVD. The dialogue and sound effects are crisp, clear and free from distortion and sounds hugely effective during the films more tense moments.

As for extras, we get a full package here. Beginning with an excellent audio commentary from both the screenwriter and the director of the movie, they really discuss every aspect on the making of the film and sound so relaxed and enthusiastic talking about their creation. This really is one of the all time great commentary tracks, which I just did not want to end. Following that up, there are deleted scenes, alternate endings, making of documentaries, still galleries and another story board alternate take on the films final act which is also narrated again by both the screenwriter and the director. Admittedly these extras were present on the DVD release however there is one extra segment to an alternate ending which is new material for this Blu ray.

All things considered, I do feel that the criticism charged towards this release is on the whole unfair. People may well have had unrealistic expectations to begin with from a movie mostly shot on Mini DV. The DVD transfer itself, was never that good to begin with and I seem to remember similar complaints when that was first released, so it seems nothing much has changed since.

The main question here is, does this Blu release out perform the DVD? In all honestly it does, hands down. The final act of the film looks fantastic in HD and the audio throughout the whole movie is also an incredible upgrade on the DVD. For those reasons alone, this disc to me was worth the upgrade and once you have the Blu ray release, it probably is fair to assume that this will be the best that the film will ever look.

Don't be put off by the naysayers, this film is already a British horror classic which deserves to be enjoyed in it's best ever release.

28 Days Later on Blu ray - highly recommended, just as long as you know what you are actually buying.

BLU REVIEW OBSCURA - find us on Facebook
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 January 2008
I would just like to quote the gentleman below ...

"The scariest thing about Danny Boyle's film is the surprisingly large percentage of people seemingly infected by its cheap and shoddy plagiarism."
David N. Butterworth
Movie Boeuf

That it was made with lottery money makes the situation even worse.
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 June 2017
I don't do zombies and have very little interest in horror films, and so it is not until 15 years after it was made that I finally watched this film. And I will say the loss was mine. While I'm still not gone on gore and scary creatures, the scenes showing the rabied infected are, though sudden and genuinely frightening, mercifully swift and short. The plot is not so much a horror story as a well contructed post-apocalyptic tale set in England, where a highly contiaous rabies-like disease has wiped out nearly the entire population, with a very few unaffected individuals trying to survive and escape to a place the infection hasn't reached.

The scenes of Cillian Murphy wandering around a completely deserted London are stunning and utterly chilling at the same time. The film is worth watching for that alone: seeing those iconic London locations entirely devoid of people. Similarly fascinating are the shots of that lone London taxi cab driving along the deserted motorway with the windmills silently churning away in the background. Knowing that all this was filmed for real rather than being created inside a computer makes it all the more remarkable. And then, just once in a while, inbetween the scenes of utter desolation and frightening attacks by the infected, there are seemingly incogruous moments of relief like the myriad of colourful buckets on the roof or the horses in the field. Inspired directing by Danny Boyle. Even the intentionally grainy picture quality, criticised by many reviewers, works very well for me. It fits in with the story.

The cast including Naomie Harris, Brendan Gleeson and Christopher Eccleston alongside Cillian Murphy is great, with them all turning in very solid performances. It was this cast that made me buy the DVD and I'm glad I ventured outside my comfort zone and watched the film. Along with great performances from some of my favourite actors, I got an intelligent and compelling story.

The two disc Limited Editon includes the following extra features:
- Commentary by director Danny Boyle and writer Alex Garland
- "Pure Rage" making of featurette
- "Jacknife Lee" Music Video
- Running Polaroid Gallery
- Animated Storyboards
- 28 Weeks Later: The rage is Back featurette
- First Story From 28 Days Later: The Aftermath graphic novel (booklet)
- Trailers for both 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later
on 14 March 2013
Reviews at 2 as it is too scary for me. I only bought it for the final scene which was filmed at Ennerdale and we re-enacted it for our demonstration walk against a nuclear dump proposed at Ennerdale. In the end it snowed so the message was dug out in the snow and filmed from the top of the fells. The protest was successful.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 June 2013
It really is crap. Paint-dryingly slow pace, slow acting, slow reacting, slow speaking,and slow witted from the actors, the scriptwriter and the "brilliant" director. Must be a new definition of the word 'brilliant' that i haven't come across yet.Danny Boyle proved with his olympics ceremonies that he is an establishment dupe to be played with like a pawn and he delivered a ceremony saturated with images of paedophilia and satanic cultism which most people watched with dimwit expressions completely unaware of the underriding darkness.If you don't believe me, do some research.
In this hopeless drivel of a b movie, the usual 'horror' cliches of 'dont go off alone' are followed by everyone going off alone.The 'straw dogs syndrome' of the weak, skinny, apathetic, clueless pacifist who can suddenly outwit and beat off a whole brigade and save the 2 women from otherwise certain rape, which in real life would have already happened countless times before he had got back to save them. But no, the men decide to dress the women up in sexy underwear and surround them then wait patiently pointing guns at them and doing nothing. Yeah,very realistic. And the zombies kill everyone effortlessly except the 3 unarmed and defenceless clueless 'heroes' who have as much personality as they do acting ability: Zero. which is what i would give this film is i could.And minus 100 for the non entity that is Danny Boyle.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 March 2008
This is a typical example of the recent recycled, unimaginative pretentious Brit regurgitations of US horror-apocalypse themes which seems to be the stock in trade of this particular director. Supported barely adequately by near reject Army surplus supplies the film meanders from one predictable scene to another. The subject matter was dealt with far more intelligently in ancient BBC TV series such as The Survivors or the Day of the Triffids. Having sat through the movie in the cinema the overwhelming audience reaction was here we go again followed by annoyed checking of watches. Far better to look at The Omega Man based on the original book, I am Legend, flawed as it is by the associated cold war and racial awakening baggage - it was made in the 70's after all, it is rescued by its wonderful opening cinematography (which 28 days steals from) and its lead former establishment figurehead turned laconic anti-hero. Omega Man still holds up well and is better than the current Smith I Am Legend remake let down badly by its less than convincing CGI zombies, witness the final swarm scenes reminiscent of a redressing of those from the final scenes in I Robot. All in all the remakes of the original I Am Legend story have diminished in quality and impact with each attempt. Seek out the original film of the book, The Last Man on Earth, starring the wonderful yet under rated Vincent Price, a short but memorable performance that still encourages positive critique, unlike 28 days which should be consigned to the straight to DVD pap. Why this was released in Blu Ray is beyond belief and sensible marketing. I believe they have a saying in Northern England for this - "Mutton Dressed Up as Lamb".
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2009
Most of the film was shot on a Canon DV camcorder. This is an exact reproduction of how the film looked at the cinema, and hence this blu-ray's picture quality is not at fault.
44 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 December 2013
Having been blown away by Cillian Murphy's performance in Peaky Blinders I've been working my way through his back catalogue like a hot knife through butter. I have wanted to watch this film for a long time because there was such a buzz about it when it first came out, but I don't 'do' horror films AT ALL, so I approached it with a great deal of trepidation. First watch-through, it has to be said, was done mostly through my fingers!, but it's really not that bad at all, in fact I'm not sure I'd class it as horror, I actually spooked myself far more re-watching Sunshine than watching this.
It's really more a thriller or psychological drama and all the better for it. So if you've been put off watching this because you don't like horror either, be brave and give it a go. All the performances are great and the story keeps you gripped. As many people have said before the picture quality isn't the best because of the way it was filmed, but what you might lose in sharpness you gain in a sense of immediacy and realism, it almost has a documentary feel to it.
So yes, deserves it's iconic status, and if you've not seen it yet, definitely worth it I would say!