on 26 April 2011
We bought this Linguaphone DVD for my partner to develop his knowledge of the language. We have yet to use it but the content of it is superb.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 November 2003
I found this title to be a very informative and helpful guide to learning the beginnings of the japanese language. It performed above and beyond what was expected for the the price paid and has inspired me to further my studies in the language. It is also very useful as a reference tool.
on 23 March 2004
I have only had this product a couple of days but don't feel very encoraged by it, mainly becasue there is no element of 'fun' in its teaching technique and I find having some fun is very helpful when learning.
I am interested in learning spoken Japanese rather than written Japanese or 'phonetic english' Japanese, but this program puts a lot of empahsis on learning to write Japenese in phonetic English (though it does have a big speaking section). ALL of the games offered to inspire learning consist entirely of typing 'phonetic english' Japanese into your PC - crosswords, filling in the missing word in a sentance, re-arranging words in a sentance etc - which does not provide much variety and if you are poor at spelling like me, is really quite discoraging.
The variety of games (silly but fun and you do learn fast) in the rival 'Talk Now' package I found much better for learning vocabulary and names of useful everyday stuff (though not advanced enough to give more than half a dozen real sentances).
I would have liked to have seen a good vocabulary database included in the Linguaphone package as I wanted to learn more names of everyday objects (it promises 5000 words I think), but you cannot seem to access them to learn new words without working through the main program. I cannot so far find an obvious way to just practice say, numbers or food names, without having to work on whole sentances or conversations.
I will continue to look for a more user friendly language program as this, to me at least, makes everything seem harder and duller than it needs to be, but someone who likes to learn in a different style to me or who has more interest in written language as well as spoken may have a more positive view of this package than I have so far.