on 9 July 2009
Before I begin, let me state that this review applies to "A Love Supreme [Deluxe Edition] [Box set] [Extra tracks] [Original recording remastered]". I won't review the music itself as others have done do ably. I simply want to say beware of this edition, for it has been 'remastered' by Rudy Van Gelder, who, it is a reasonable guess, is suffering from hearing problems in the treble range in his old age. It simply sounds like he has turned the treble up, resulting in annoyingly hissing and dominant cymbals, and leaving Coltrane's reeds sounds rather ... well, reedy. So please avoid this edition and buy the one labelled 'originals' (a version of which is also available including the live performance, so nothing is lost).
on 21 May 2012
I am not a jazz eficionado <<<spellcheck but I know what I like and I like this.
the music themes are interesting and the improvisation is really quirky and can be really strange and imaginative almost random. Its pretty good my only issue is that the drums and bass are in one ear and the sax is in the other ear and so it is kind of spacey to listen to in headphones. I like the bass tone it is a double bass so they always have nice tone but this one has particularly good tone its deep and thrumming. the drums are really Mad and bashy and I think the cymbals are very crisp, and it almost sounds like he is just playing anything and not really keeping any time or anything but he actually is in a very complicated exciting and imaginative way. Not sure whats with the repetitive vocal thing is but its ok. There is a nice soft piano through the background too. I have to say it is pretty interesting I think I prefer the album a few of my favourite things cos that has all instruments in both ears but this is pretty good music to listen to when you feeling like a snobby stuck up sort of music fan or want something challenging.
on 28 December 2012
This is a must have item for jazz fans - though in my view not Coltranes greatest work, though probably his best known. It is a great work but in my opinion the sound quality on this is poor. It is thin and insubstantial (On a very good system)and does not do justice to the playing. One of many poor recordings of this piece.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 March 2013
This album blew my mind, man. Not as good as the chicken supreme I had for my tea last night but man it sounded good. Mmmmmmmm I love chicken and I love supreme!
on 11 March 2004
Not many words are needed for this piece of work. "Life changing" would sum up the listening experience. Ian go back to sleep my freind
on 22 June 2006
I bought this album on the strength of the many reviews describing it as a work of genius or a religious experience. Well maybe I have missed the point, but to me this is one of the tedious and frustrating albums I have ever heard. The piece simply repeats the same themes over and over again, with somewhat derivative improvisation. Well played but not well constructed.
1010 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse