Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 February 2014
I've had this on vinyl for some time and long hunted a UK CD version. The album is timeless, and the title track alone is worth the CD price. Grace Slick has one of the best rock vocals of all time yet largely unknown here as a solo artist, but better remembered for her earlier Airplane/Starship work.

"Dreams" is melodic, vibrant and rich in feel-good factors, full of uplifting classic orchestral rock arrangements, all with Grace's superb vocals sitting on top. It only scratched the lower chart positions when released in 1980, so will appeal to fresh ears today. Other stand out tracks are "El Diablo" (again ranging from melodic to masterful in a few bars); "Do It the Hard Way" (a great bluesy, rock ballad, great vocals alongside searing guitar chords - wow!).

Thoroughly happy; memories rekindled; and a lesson to today's vocalists. A great buy!
on 21 April 2017
The best showcase of them all for Slick's astonishing voice. A little over-orchestrated here and there, but the multi-layered guitars on tracks like El Diablo are bloody wonderful. So glad to have it back in my collection after too many years.
on 5 May 2015
This is an excellent album, which I had originally borrowed from a friend. I am pleased I was able to find it again. The album and cover are of excellent quality, as advertised . I would certainly use this company again for future vinyl purchases.
on 9 September 2010
Grace Slick , the majestic Sandy Denny aside , was the supreme female rock vocalist of the 1965-75 heyday of great music. She could always outsing the overrated Janis Joplin - she has greater range and is far more melodic. Furthermore , like Sandy , she wrote superb lyrics - including most on this album. I think this is the best thing she done in the post Airplane/Starship period. Definitely an unequivocal five star. Also I love the top review here - way to go Chandler !
on 21 April 2017
Grace Slick has a fantastic voice and the songs are good too
on 3 July 2017
Been looking for this CD for years great
on 4 January 2009
Angel of Night was being played in my local music store and I loved it immediately. I asked the assistant what was being played and she told me it was Dreams. That was way back in the early 80's.

I bought it on vinyl there and then. Later I bought it on tape because I was wearing the vinyl out. Now I want it on CD. Why?

Because it's simply my all time favourite album and I NEED to be able to play it anywhere, any time, in any format, even after all these years, and it still works the same magic whenever I hear it. I never, never, ever get tired of any track.

If you have anything against multi-tracking, listen to this and change your mind. Every track is sheer listening joy.

In trying to find an adjective to describe this it has to be POWER. Every aspect is imbued with it, from Grace's strong voice to the wall of sound backing.

The best way to listen - feet up and headphones on, close your eyes and lose yourself in the experience, then there's the afterglow to follow.
on 10 August 2011
I have been a Jefferson Airplane/Grace Slick fan for more years that I care to remember. I have to admit that some of the Jefferson Starship material tested my commitment but I will quickly gloss over that! I was so pleased to be able to replace my worn out vinyl copy of this album with a wonderful click free CD. In my view this album is a truly hiddden gem. It never received the great reviews it deserved. I guess Grace Slick was out of vogue by the time it was released. She has made some magnificent records over the years and this is one of her best. Her voice is as superb as ever. Incredible range and truly operatic. "Dreams" and "Full Moon Man" are the stand out tracks for me but the album as a whole is magnificent. Not a weak track on it. I see the current incarnation of Jefferson Starship whenever they come to the UK and was also lucky enough to catch them at BB Kings in NYC. It would be marvellous to see Kantner, Slick and Balin back together again but it ain't gonna happen, only in my Dreams.
on 4 July 2009
Maybe everybody had had quite enough of Slick's voice in the various Jefferson incarnations by the time that this came out but if so it's a shame because I agree with the other reviewers that this is a gem. There's the spooky brilliance of the title track, the rocking drive of Full Moon Man and and Face to the Wind and the hyperkinetic Russian campery of Seasons. Let it Go is a haunting, melodic paean to all our addictions: sex, love,drugs, alcohol, whatever. This is amongst Slick's best which puts it pretty high in the canon of psycho San Fran pop-rock.
on 4 July 2005
'Dreams' is an ACE Album.It is one at the top of my 'all time favourites' and I cannot for the life of me understand why more people have not heard of it.The title track was released as a single, but I never once heard it played on the radio, yet it is easily on a par with any Rock song/single that Aerosmith, Queen or David Bowie etc!(also amongst my favourites) can churn out. It is a wonderful track and sets the stage for the spectacular show, that is the rest of the recording.Not a weak song on the whole Album, which has splendid Orchestral backing and is Technically perfect - beautifully produced,from the songs, right down to the Cover Design. Aside from 'Dreams', which I am obsessional about,'El Diablo','Do It The Hard Way','Let It Go'and 'Face To The Wind' are 'spot hitters'.You definately wont be sleeping through 'Angel Of The Night'.
I have lost count of the folks that I have introduced this Album too, all except 1 love it!! An almost overlooked Gem.
11 Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse