Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 October 2002
“It Will Be” reminds me off a song off The New Deal’s self-titled album, “Exciting New Directions” because it has a female vocal sample that seems to build up to something. While in that song it tends to lead into a jam session, in this song, the melody weaves tighter and expands as the ‘time’ passes in the song. Its got a great groove and laidback feel.
“My Vision” starts off with a spine tingling female vocal woven into a sample from the Shawshank Redemption soundtrack, and as she says, “wonderful things are about to happen”; then the beat comes in, perfectly joined with the rest of the tune. Unexpectedly, its Seal’s voice that comes on, and you can already feel the energy from his first words, as songs like “Crazy” come back to mind. This is definitely my favorite song on the album.
“Ever So Lonely” has been featured on other compilations like ‘The Karma Collection” so its not a new tune. Sheila Chandra provides the mystical vocals on this track. Maybe I’m more used to a single version, because this one feels a little too long. But like other tracks to follow, Dave Lee does not force Jakatta into any fixed sound, so this shows off some of his variety.
“Feeling Blue” has a simple piano melody and a relaxed gentle feel. There is a female vocal in it, but the words sound wispy and breathless. I can’t imagine it not being featured on any other chillout albums in the near future.
“I Don’t Know” featuring Ty, has a hip-hop sound above another melodic sweeping sound and the snare hits. There is the sound of a muted trumpet as well, giving this song a great variety. It is another head bopping tune.
“American Dream” is the classic Jakatta tune, been around for a year or two now, and it features the sample from the movie ‘American Beauty’ which is also used in the intro to the album. The gentle flowing and often-breathless female vocal lays over the xylophone sample. If you havnt heard this song yet, where have you been?
“One Fine Day” is a beautifully evocative song in the line of Zero 7’s “Destiny”. The vocals provided by Beth Hirsch are warm and relaxing, as if imagining a day relaxing on the beach, sleeping under the sun or however you want to think about it. Its my second favorite song on the album, the only reason “My Vision” is better is cause I have to give props to Shawshank.
“Ride the Storm” has a spoken word vocal by Linda Clifford. I’m not a big fan of this song because of that. It definitely shows more variety. However, the music has the cinematic sweeping feel of other Jakatta songs.
“The Other World” begins with more lush synth melodies and closes off the album rather well, but does not do anything new, unless there is a sample that I’m not aware of.
Dave Lee AKA Joey Negro has put out a wonderful semi-chill beautiful album. His use of movie samples (the two that I’m aware of) is fantastic. And as the two movies that I mention are incredible, its even more brilliant that he uses them. These are songs we’ll all be hearing on compilations for a while. I cant wait to see ‘Visions’ taken on the road.
on 14 September 2003
I had barely heard of Jaktaa when this album was given to me as a gift, but now I doubt I could live without it. Every song has a different character, and I am completely unable to say which is my favourite, unless you take 'Strung out' which is a sort of megamix of the whole album. The music is sophisticated, and can be either devastating or heart-warming, depending on which one you are listening to, and what mood you are in at the time.
I would definitely give this album the best rating possible.
on 19 October 2002
Last week, I browsed the web for a new CD. Dunno why, just decided I wanted another to add to my collection. I almost gave up after stumbling across Jakatta's "Visions." After being massively impressed by the mega-hit "American Beauty," I bought it on a huge whim!
And, boys and girls, I wasn't disapointed.
This is one of the most magical and uplifting albums produced by a DJ this year. As each track floats into the next, the album itself acts out a film-score, taking us on a journey through a storyline conveyed by the imagination of each set-piece - wether it be the haunting "My Vision," (with guest vocals from Seal), the Indian-inspired "So Lonely" or the smooth tones of Beth Hirsch on "One Fine Day."
The flagship track, is by far, "American Dream," with its sample - taken from the Sam Mendes film "American Beauty" - popping up alll over the album. However, this just shows how crucial the world of film is to Dave Lee - or Jakatta as he now like to be know! - exploring new themes, yet returning to the ones we want to hear over and over again.
This album is truly different, with moods to reflect the pre-nightclub teenager and the relaxing couple by the fire. Not a classic, but a must-buy for Winter 2002.
on 19 November 2002
Jakatta's debut album certainly doesn't disappoint - there are some excellent tracks on here. It's hard to define Jakatta's style; some would call it easy listening with relaxed, memorable phrases, whereas others would say it borders on house. Either way, his style is extremely unique, characterised by moving melodies and stirring use of the piano. It's a great album to chill out to, but does have some rousing numbers that make you want to get up and dance!
My personal favourites include the tracks 'American Dream', which has been a popular number in clubs for the last 2 years; the outstanding 'My Vision' which features the welcome return of Seal, 'Ever so Lonely' - although be warned - it is much slower than the single release; and 'The Other World' which samples a track from the Bond film 'Diamonds are Forever'.
Basically, all the songs on the album are good - some are really haunting and evocative. In a nutshell, it's an excellent buy - plenty of memorable melodies with catchy lyrics and an amazing ethereal sound. I look forward to Jakatta's next work.
on 15 October 2002
I have long awaited this album on the basis of the first two singles So Lonely and American Dream. The defining moment for me was acheived with securing Seal on the recent single My Vision (which I feel is his best work since his first album).
All tracks are lush and varied, with that 'film soundtrack' quality. Although there is heavy sampling of works from other film soundtracks including American Beauty and Betty Blue, they are so gorgeous and inventive that they are world's away from the original works.
This is somewhere between Moon Safari and Simple Things. Perfect for those who were waiting for Air to revert back to their earlier style (like me!)
on 13 January 2003
This album came as an unexpected surprise to me, as I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it is. To me, the most obvious reference point for comparison is Air's chill-out classic 'Moon Safari'. In places, 'Visions' shares the same laid-back feel of that album, and moreso manages to do so without the 'Last of the Summer Wine' overtones (listen to 'Ce Matin La' and tell me you don't hear that too!) of Air's album. 'Visions' doesn't stop at a brief safari on the moon, and probes further out into the universe.
From first track to last, there's a definite air of tension that comes through from this album, something that puts me in mind of black-and-white films of empty beaches under cloudy skies. Even the dancier tracks ('My Vision', 'American Dream' and 'Ride the Storm') fit with this mood, and that's what makes this album work for me. Personally I'm getting a bit fed up with some of the brainless dance music that's pumped out these days.
Top song on this album has to be 'One Fine Day' - simply a beautiful piece of music. If you think it sounds similar to Air's 'You Make It Easy', that's because Beth Hirsch's heavenly vocals grace both songs. Wonderful stuff.
on 22 December 2014
I love EVERY track on this cd. It really gets your toes tapping and is great to slip into the car cd player on those long motorway drives to visit the relations...lol. Excellent beats infused with some cool vocals.
on 17 October 2002
OK, so these guys have been around for a while now and made it big with the title soundtrack to the film America Beauty, so this album has been eagerly awaited by many. So was it worth the wait. Well yes and no to be fair. The album plays heavily on Jakatta's success with American Beauty offering 3 tracks out of 13 based on that one song. OK, does this indicate that perhaps Jakatta have a limited offering? True, this may be the case, however the other 10 tracks are ver varied and feature offerings from Seal on two of the tracks.
Maybe it's because Jakatta and a couple of their tracks have been around for some time now it may seem that they don't have too much new to offer and seem a little 'old hat' compared with groups such as Zero 7, Royksopp and the like. However, if like me you crave more of this chilled out blissful groove malarkey then this will certainly compliment your record collection. The fact is this album contains some real dance classics. Buy it now!
on 21 July 2014
Track 10 Another World is my absolute favourite. I first heard it on Chill. Its Smooth, Calming and Relaxing.

The other songs are ok, but Track 10 is my Winner.

Bought it for a fab price. Can't complain about that.
on 6 May 2008
Producer Dave Lee (better known as Joey Negro) has really set the tone here for a grand album that mixes snippets from a variety of film scores with the finest house beats and chilled grooves, to create an addictive odyssey of sounds. I sought this out for years, and it has not failed to disappoint. The production values are immense, and the music itself really has the power to create a range of moods. Kick back, relax, and listen to it in one go.