Customer reviews

Always good
on 12 July 2016
good for price
on 21 August 2013
David Attenborough brings things to life like no other naturalist can. Yes, I have got David Attenborough "The Life Collection" and a lot of the extracts from that are made into this DVD, but this does not bother me. I am not fussy about the quality of some of the filming, as I am old enough to remember black and white television (I am nearly 52) and anything in colour (to me) was an absolute bonus. I also know how difficult and expensive it is to film animals, and I think the BBC have done a superb job in putting the DVD together. Attenborough is an extremely competent naturalist! This alone makes it very interesting.
on 3 January 2004
The title says it all: "Great Wildlife Moments" and "David Attenborough". What more could you want? This is a grand tribute to 50 years of wildlife documentaries from the BBC and from the Master. Not all are Attenborough productions but there are only so many places he can be at any one time. For the uninitiated, this is an excellent introduction to the scale and range of BBC productions in this field and, for afficianodos, probably every favourite moment will be found, from DA and the mountain gorillas (naturally), to the treacherous zebra crossing, the grotesque python sequence and the fabulous mimickry of the lyre bird. All 38 sequences are presented as they were originally and this leads to my only quibble for I think the production would have benefited from a narration linking the sequences and celebrating the BBC's achievement in virtually creating the wildlife documentary genre. David Attenborough does an introduction but then the sequences are played with no further commentary apart from that on their original tracks. There is an option to turn on a commentary by the producer of each sequence but these, though interesting in themselves, are individual to that particular excerpt (and a warning: not all sequences have a commentary, which could have you, like me, trying to turn it on for some time before realising you've chosen a sequence without it). Quibbles aside, this is a terrific compilation and a real tribute to the producers and presenters and especially the camera teams that provided us with such outstanding films.
11 Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 December 2011
Like another reviewer, seeing David Attenborough and the BBC on the cover was sufficient for me to buy this DVD. Many years ago, as a teenager, I read David Attenborough's "Zoo Quest for a Dragon" and was enthralled; I have been ever since. To have moments from wildlife chosen by Attenborough is like going round the Tate Gallery with Leonardo or Vincent, being shown a golf course by Jack Nicklaus, sitting in a concert hall with Beethoven, being taught the violin by Nigel Kennedy; he is the best there is and this DVD is excellent.

Not many bonus features just a whole host of wildlife moments. Viewers will watch, gasping and amazed.

Recommended
on 4 July 2012
Bought for a young five year old naturalist in the making, and completely captivated him. This inspiring collection could be the start of a wonderful life path.
on 22 August 2011
the service was perfect,and quality very good,the main point is ,the product was as described and my granson plays it over and over!
ps wants the whole series!
on 10 January 2011
I bought this as a christmas present for my 18mth old son who loves watching animals. The dvd is divided up into 6 or so themes with some of the highlights of the best known wildlife documentaries (eg blue planet). I wasn't sure if he would be ready for watching wildlife documentaries so didn't want to spend loads on a box set, and at this price you can't possibly go wrong. 10/10
on 6 November 2009
I bought this DVD because it was offered at a bargain price, but it was worth its weight in gold. Every clip was well chosen and thoroughly entertaining.
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2012
Bought this DVD for my wildlife-adventure-at-heart son. But he's not the only one enjoying it. Our family is great fan of David Attenborough and although some of the narrators are not David himself (I thought this was taken from David's programs), overall they are really good.
Really worth it!