Style Name: 77mm|Change

on 2 June 2011
I now have three of these filters for each of my Nikon lenses - 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 50mm prime.

As a basic lens protector they do the job fantastically; essentially a total non-fuss cheap piece of glass in front of your all business very expensive piece of glass.

However!

After reading reviews of problems with ghosting i did a couple of test shots with the protector both on and off my 50mm prime.
Unfortunately i found the reviews to be true and i saw a significant amount of ghosting and colour degradation in the shots taken with the filter (ahem..) protector, on the lens.

In conclusion if you're not fussy about the quality of your shots then i would suggest keeping it on as a budget lens protector; after all at this price it does that job fantastically well.
However, if you are an enthusiast looking for optimum performance you may want to trade up to a premium filter or at the very least unscrew it from your lens before taking a photo!
on 23 December 2008
Avoid like the plague.

Bought this under the guise that it was coated (the hama website claims so) but it isn't. A plain piece of glass infront of your lens will cause ghosting when shooting with bright objects in the frame, degrade picture quality, and reflect light (due to the lack of costing) resulting in a loss of light into your lens.

OK, so this will protect your lens, and the build quality is fine. But you will be sacrificing image quality/contract/sharpness by doing such. do yourself a favour, you can get a multicoated 77mm filter for £10.

Word of advice - if you're using digital, you only need a protecting filter not a UV, as CMOS/CCD doesn't pick up UV (but film does).
11 comment| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2009
I bought this Hama 77mm UV filter primarily to protect an extremely expensive lens. I read the reviews about this filter and there were a number that didn't like it to say the least. In any event, the filter cost under a tenner so I thought I would give it a try. I took some shots of the type of objects that other reviewers said resulted in poor image quality with the filter fitted. I must admit, that as far as I was concened, I found no problems whatsoever with the filter either mechanically or photographically: I was unable to reproduce those faults / complaints mentioned in other reviews using my Canon camera. However, I should add that one thing that would not be the same is the lighting conditions. (I would have to take a photo at the same place / time as other reviewers for that to happen)

Regarding The UV filtering effect: I think the experts in photography generally agree that the UV effect for improving photo's is negligible. For those thinking of dealing with refelection problems, I think you need to be thinking about buying a polarising filter but do your own research and check.
on 10 April 2012
Well as an economy UV Filter there's not much to expect, I usually buy Hoya filters but as these are just to add some protection I did not see the point in spending twice the price. Well that is until I unpacked the filter first things first the filter does come in a hard shell filter flip top plastic box. Secondly the filter is as far as I can tell is very secure in side it's bezel ( the metal ring, it's frame ) there's no rattle of the lens when it's shaken. So as far as that I'm happy this means that once fitted, No dust should get past the filter on to my lens glass.

The down side I have noticed, and this is on two different size filters I have bought from the same range and maker, Is that the threads are not smooth at all, By this I mean when you come to screw the filter on to the lens the action is very rough. Which also means that removing the filter is also tough, as when you come to unscrew the filter it's just like unscrewing a dry nut on a dry bolt, And don't forget there is no lubrication on these very fine threads, So to remove the filter can take a bit of effort. Unlike the more expensive filters I have which have very smooth silky fine threads, and are very easy to add to and remove from the lens.

But don't let this put you off if all you want is a bit of protection for you're expensive lens, then really this filter does the job and for the price it does it very well.
But if you're going to be adding and removing filters a lot, Then I suggest you pay the extra and buy a more expensive filter as it will save you time and frustration.
Last but not lest the UV aspect of the filter, I noticed no difference with or with out the filter.
on 3 April 2008
I bought this primarily to protect the lens of my new Nikon D40. It appears totally colour neutral and has already done a good job of saving the front of the lens from finger smudges and a knock when the camera was mis-handled. Highly recommend
on 12 January 2005
Does exactly what it claims to do. Fits my Fuji S5000 very well, although there are not many threads on the outerside of the filter, so I can imagine that it would be difficult to attach any teleconverters, wide angle lenses etc. on top of this filter.
on 11 January 2012
The filter overall construction is good, easy to attach to the lens but the coating of the glass is awful. It consistently produces reflection and flare that will spoil your pictures, especially in low light conditions.
on 14 December 2008
I have got it just in two days afer placing the order. This filter is really great, value for money. The reasons I gave 4 stars rather than 5 starts are the two. The first reason is that this product doesn't tell you where it has been produced. The second is that the back fixing ring was loose and I had to push it back to keep the lens in place. Otherwise the product is really great! It fits my Nikon D80 perfectly. Results were excellent even inside rooms.
on 21 June 2013
Unless you are a hard nosed pro photographer and can afford to spend ten times the cost of this product then it will fit your needs perfectly as a standard UV filter. It also protects my 75-300mm zoom lens against unforeseen knocks.
I found that the minutest application of Vaseline to the thread facilitated the smooth application of filter to lens without risking damage to the very fine threads.
on 10 April 2012

Last but not lest the UV filter aspect I noticed no difference with or with out the filter.