on 25 February 2003
When I was a kid I hardly ever understood what was going on during this first series of The Tomorrow People broadcast in 1973; I was after all only 6 years old. Nevertheless it still fascinated me. I desperately wanted a jaunting belt, a friendly talking computer and a secret underground base. Thirty years on I can finally relive the nostalgia as well as understand the stories for the first time due to this box set of the entire first series comprising The Slaves of Jedikiah (5 episodes), The Medusa Strain (4 episodes) and The Vanishing Earth (4 Episodes).
Extras include:
Episode guide detailing every story ever made.
Cast profiles and character biographies.
Picture Gallery.
Episode reviews by Big Finish.
Special audio commentaries by members of the original cast.
My only criticism is that the extras were a little too few and a little too text based though that isn't uncommon with these type of products which have to delve back 30 years. Very enjoyable package.
on 19 February 2010
The first season of 'The Tomorrow People' introduces us to the series' basic set-up through the eyes of Stephen (Peter Vaughan-Clarke), a boy in his early teens who "breaks out" and discovers that he's one of the next evolutionary stage of humanity. Along with John (Nicholas Young), Carol (Sammie Winmill) and Kenny (Stephen Salmon), Stephen finds himself thrust into a bizarre world of robots, aliens and intergalactic criminals. Cheaply (occasionally very cheaply) but imaginatively made, the series is entertaining enough although the stories and dialogue aren't exactly from the top drawer- nevertheless there's sense of freshness and energy about these first three stories which does keep your attention. Added value on this release is provided by way of commentary on all thirteen episodes by Nicholas Young, Peter Vaughan-Clarke and Philip Gilbert (the voice of the computer TIM)- this is a joy in itself as the commentaries don't take the series all that seriously! So good honest fun as long as you can turn a blind eye to some patchy special effects.
on 11 February 2012
We have all enjoyed this blast from the past. Our three boys have really enjoyed the plots and storylines...we have enjoyed reliving our childhood and laughing at the fashions etc. A good buy for modern children.
on 19 February 2009
I've just watched the first season again and I've enjoyed all three stories. It's typical 1973 with it's glam rock feel with it's special effects, studio sets and cast costumes.
I didn't see the first season originally as I was only two. Despite it's age, it's very enjoyable. Despite a limited budget the stage sets work well here.
Cyclops and his ship with Jedikiah are highlights of the first story. Set in hyperspace 'Medusa Strain' is my favourite one as it's very future retro. Jedikiah is very good in this one too. 'Vanishing Earth' is also a fan's favourite. The creepy looking Spidron and haunted house theme works well.
It's the only season we see of Carol (Sammie Winmill). I thought she was rather good and it's shame she didn't continue. Kenny (Stephen Salmon) is no actor and wasn't given much to do. Ginge gets on me nerves,
on 30 May 2014
a 70s childrens tv series a mix of dr who s tardis that talks/star trek and phsycic a good series for young children age up to 12 iwould say,for me just a reminder of what I watched as a boy
on 22 October 2014
Showing its age this early SCI-FI series is particularly interesting for the amazing collection of now famous guest stars. Watchable plot lines and very entertaining.
on 12 February 2016
I thought I would buy this as I have found memories of it.
on 5 April 2016
70's nostalgia at its best
on 17 November 2015
Great series for its time
on 13 March 2016