on 11 March 2010
Looks and feels very sturdy, design principles are good and it seems very well constructed. Lid latches in securely, comes with a couple of keys, fantastic space inside. Holds A4 no problem whatsoever.

Submersion test in bath proved it is indeed watertight. I can't say I've set into it with a blowtorch, but there is good evidence for the insulation inside it - The case remained cold for 24 hours after delivery (From when it had been stored in a warehouse). Very impressive ability to maintain its temperature. As such, I'd recommend leaving it open and empty for about a day after you receive it to allow it to warm up to room temperature, and prevent any possible damage to documents due to condensation.

All in all, very solid safe for a good price. If you're looking for peace of mind, this is the best you'll get for the money.
22 Comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2017
Superb little fire-resistant document safe, for deeds, wills, confidential documents, and even prized jewellry. Rather heavy to move around, best left on a floor. A little dexterity needed to open it, and it is wise to keep one (spare) key elsewhere in case one is mislaid. Can you use it for banknotes? - certainly, if you have any you can save (but remember, lately there have been changes to currency items, so good to check from time to time that any banknotes you keep remain redeemable!). Very good item for peace of mind. Sentry Safe F2300 Fire-Safe Waterproof Document and Media Chest
on 17 September 2013
BE WARNED - One of the below reviewers is correct - the instruction manual to this item specifies clearly that this item offers protection against fire for documents but INSUFFICIENT FIRE PROTECTION FOR HARD DRIVES etc. I wrote to the company about this and they sent an evasive reply, refusing to answer my question directly in writing. This 'media chest' will not protect your hard drives etc. and the description is badly misleading. I have informed Amazon of this and am awaiting their response.
on 21 September 2015
I am very happy with the safe itself.

There are plenty of reviews on here about the ins and outs, technicalities and specifications for me to add anything interesting. But I cannot miss the chance to comment on the company's unusual approach to ensuring that the keys didn't get lost.

When the safe first arrived, I struggled to open it. I followed all the instructions, read up on other people's tips for lifting the lid and generally gave it my very best effort before concluding that not only was the safe locked, but there were no keys in the box with which to open it.

I contacted Sentry Safe's helpline, who made me try again, then said they could post me out a set of keys if I could email confirmation that I had bought the safe myself. Quite understandable: can't go sending out safe keys to anyone who asks for them.

Two weeks passed and still no keys, so I phoned back. Yes, they had a record of my call. Yes, they knew I needed keys. No, they hadn't sent them out. "Would you like us to do that?" Er, yes please.

Three days later the keys arrived. We put them in the lock, turned and the lid opened without a hitch. And there inside what had been a locked safe were the original set of keys. Great idea Sentry Safe.

That aside, and now I can open and shut my safe at will, I have to say I'm very pleased with my purchase.
on 15 June 2017
I don't know if it holds up in a fire, and I hope I never find out, but it is very sturdily built. The only issue is having to press down on the lid to unlock and open (a common problem and well documented), but that's fairly minor. I do wish it had some sort of carry handle because it's heavy and awkward to pick up and move, there's no way to grip it. But overall, a good product.
on 26 January 2015
A lot bigger than I expected, very sturdy, packaged well & arrived quickly. Hopefully, I won't ever have to try out its fireproof abilities, but it is certainly very sturdy. Great safe, would recommend
on 28 December 2010
As with the other reviewers, the latch can be a bit fiddly, but this is because of the sealing mechanism. If you push the lid down at the same time as pressing the "open" button then there's no problem.

This is very heavy for such a small item, which in a way is good because a burglar might have difficulty stealing this at the same time as your TV. This is probably why it doesn't have a carry handle, to make it awkward.

There are a lot of fireproof boxes around in shops (e.g. Robert Dyas & Tesco) for quite a lot less money, but they aren't waterproof. What happens when the box is in a fire (god forbid) and suddenly the firemen squirt water all over it? The contents would be ruined. Therefore a fireproof & waterproof box is the best option for a house-fire.

For the money, this is a fantastic product.

One thing to keep an eye on is moisture in the box. To be sure it didn't get too damp, I purchased a load of "silica gel desiccant" off ebay (100 small packets for about £4). These absorb moisture from the air so you know you're documents are safe.
11 Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2014
Use this to archive 3.5in hard drives in their own containers.
Can fit about 12 plus some USB backup drives
on 16 June 2015
Looks good only find out how good it is if I have a fire hope I do not
on 23 March 2017
I bought one of these almost 2 years ago. As I was opening the lid recently, the lock fell off it!

Enough said.