Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£39.26+ £1.26 shipping

on 20 November 2002
Leave it to my favourite band to cause a stir amongst their fans and create an album that, whilst in many ways is vintage In Flames, is also in many ways something quite different. It's evident from the beginning that this album has some surprises in store. Instead of opening with a killer guitar riff, like every In Flames album has previously, we are instead presented with a keyboard introduction, somewhat similar to Soilwork's latest album, Natural Born Chaos. In Flames? Keyboards? Interesting. I'm certainly not one to scoff at the use of keyboards when done well; just like any other instrument, although I'm sure this already has some In Flames fans balking. Indeed, the keyboards are reserved for the introduction alone here, and give way to the guitars pretty quickly. However, this is not the last you will be hearing of the keyboards on this album. Songs like the infectious, synth-pop influenced "Cloud Connected" use them quite heavily.
So what is the next big change? The vocals. Yes, Ander's high-pitched rasp is still ever present, perhaps showing some improvement over his Clayman performance, however he has now bitten the bullet and decided to try some full on cleanly sung vocals. Do they work? Yes, and no. On some songs they fit perfectly, adding a new dimension to In Flames not heard on previous releases. However I think I would be quite justified in saying that his vocals are far from perfect, and that at times, he doesn't sound entirely confident. It will also be interesting to see how they are pulled off live, as I have to admit, Ander's vocals are generally what I consider to be the weakest link in In Flames' live performance. Having heard a live bootleg of the second track "System", it would appear that Anders eschews the clean vocals in favour of growling his way through, which does leave you wondering, if you cannot perform the clean vocals live, why introduce them into your music at all? On record, "System" comes across as a modern In Flames classic...a fast chugging riff ala "Pinball Map", with a "new style" In Flames chorus. The vocal melody adds a whole new dimension to the track and the live version loses this. If this is how they are going to approach all of the new material, then their efforts may well have been lost.
I guess this review has been pretty negative so far. More negative than I was expecting this review to start off, so let's move on to the positive side of things. One of the major criticism's I have seen regarding this new album is that the album "isn't In Flames" and that there is no "In Flames of old" on this album. Comments like this really do make me wonder about the ability of some people to sit and listen to music properly, without having their views distorted by personal opinion. Tracks like "Dark Signs" and "Trigger" wouldn't sound out of place on Colony. Remove the vocals from "Dawn of a New Day" and you are left with an acoustic riff that would fit on to The Jester Race with ease. On top of that, there are Clayman-esque melodic-riffs scattered all over the place, in almost every song on the album. Could I listen to this without knowing what it was, and pick it out as an In Flames album? Most definately.
In Flames have made a bold move by releasing an album they so clearly wanted to release, and for that I have even more respect. They have merged a variety of influences to create their "experimental" album. Is that a nu-metal riff, one that would not sound out of place on a Slipknot album, that I hear at the beginning of "Transparent"? Why yes, yes it is. The cynics are already crying sell-out. Well "Dismiss The Cynics" (I think I would have failed as a reviewer if I didn't manage to slip that one in somewhere, heh) and try and be a bit more positive eh? I say, how refreshing to hear a nu-metal riff used in such a great way. And what about one of the standout tracks, "Metaphor". Why it's not even a metal song I hear you cry! Maybe not, but ain't it great? "Egonomic" is another deceptively different track...starting off like a typical thrashy melodi-death song, then all of a sudden you are thrown into one of the quirkiest, yet greatest choruses the band have written since "Coerced Coexistence". Another sure standout.
Now, let me be completely impartial here. This In Flames album will NOT be for every In Flames fan. Some of you will LOVE this. Some of you WILL HATE THIS, and I see no point in denying this. But if you have not heard it already, go out and buy it when it's released. If you like it, then it's money well spent. If you do not like it, then fair play. Is this album an experiment or the start of a new direction? If it's the former, then you have no reason to worry. Cut the band some slack and let them do their thing. Surely as a fan you owe them that right? If it's the latter, then as much as it may pain you to do so, move on. You will always have your Whoracle and The Jester Race CDs right? Just do one thing...with full knowledge that this album is that little bit different, approach this with your mind fully set to open, and try and appreciate this for what it is...a melodic, yet very daring metal album. In Flames is a band who are in the business of writing catchy, melodic heavy metal. I for one have found myself on more than several occasions humming along to a fair few of the tracks on here...when the music isn't playing! Job well done then. And on that note, I'm off to give this another spin, because it rocks!
on 28 January 2016
Let me get this one out for the way for the purist,this album is an in flames album,but it is not the same as the older ones because times change.

Reroute is simply a state of the art melodic metal blueprint masterclass which many bands after hearing this,basically took. The melodies on hand here are simply beutiful,epic, and condensed.Each track is delivered with passion hard edged energy and all morphed around a dark yet uplifting chorus. Some folky elements enter the fold in the guile of dawn of a new day,reminding us that in flames took focus in writing a whole structured album with many atmospheres.
The vocal layers are very chorul,very warrior like,and the playing is brilliant. Now i must say sum tracks feel like letdowns,but only because the first 5 are that damn good. Baring transparent and Dark Signs i give every other track top marks 9 out of 10 minimum.

Standouts:
on 4 November 2002
Wow! In flames have done it again!
This one's a little more mainstream than the previous albums but it still has all the major In flames signature riffs, agression and just pure genius! There really isn't a bad track on this album, there's a couple that are a bit samey in places but this album quickly swings from the classic in flames sound, to newer sounding tunes with added synth and a couple of really quite good acoustic tracks!
These guys really are talented! If you're after a great death metal sounding album that'll stay in your cd player for ages, then this is it. It's the annoyingly catchy choruses that get you singing along and listening over and over!
Go buy it NOW!
on 18 December 2004
It took me a long while to get into this album,being a fan of In Flames for many years before this i was initially dissapointed.
Re-Route To Remain says it all really,maybe feeling that they had to change to get more commercial sucess,we know their label said that they would sell more cd's if they sang rather than growled and World of Promises (extra track on Clayman)showed us a little of what that would be like and worrying for me too.
So they have changed...alot...In Flames opened many eyes with their earlier releases,complex harmony guitars and some catchy tunes whilst remaining in lowered tuning and keeping it nice and heavy and mouthwatering almost Maidenesque in places.They were up tempo and had some amazing classical pieces thrown to the mix...And now this.
It's been stripped down to the raw much more proper singing and gone are the major harmony guitar parts that appealed greatly to people like me,it's mainly chords and harmonius vocals this time around.
It's still a heavy album and no doubt will bring them more sucess and mass appeal,it does have some really good songs on it but alot of people i spoke to at gigs prefere the old In Flames to this and i must confess so do i.
It's a good album and i can highly recomend it if u like heavy and catchy tunes,but to me and many others it's just not the In Flames we know and came to love.But as i said earlier the title says it all.
on 5 September 2003
Overall, this is an excellent In Flames album, continuing their best qualities whilst also adding new touches (a subtle melody here, more clean vocals there). 'Reroute..' sees 'Flames trying new things: and they work.
Reroute to Remain: The title track, one of the stronger ones. Begins with a great riff after a tiny build up, roars through the memorable verse and into the well-balanced chorus. A welcome solo is in about 2/3rds through. Great chorus. [8]
System: Starts like a tank, all at once. Verses are relentless, then slows down to the pre-chorus, which is sung. The chorus itself is inspired, totally catchy and utterly brilliant. The climax of the song (where the chorus is screamed at length not sung) is stunning. [10]
Drifter: Not the smartest or heaviest, but a good solid track. [6]
Trigger: Catchy as hell melodic chorus, catchy as hell verses, good riffs. But maybe drags on a little too long.. the edited version of it on the Trigger EP is sublime. [8]
Cloud Connected: One of the highlights. More melodic than most, sung verses for once but still heavy as f*ck. Very hummable. [9]
Transparent: Thrashy-turns-slower. Average track, nothing special. [6]
Dawn of a New Day: Acoustic (!), yet still moves along nicely. Still some screams. A new twist on the In Flames vibe, and on this track, its great. [9]
Egonomic: Fast, furious, bollocks-to-the-wall In Flames dementia, good chorus. [8]
Minus: Slightly anonymous.. takes a few listens to appreciate, but good. [7]
Dismiss the Cynics: Irritated me for a while, and sounds similar to Cloud Connected (this is a good thing). [8]
Free Fall: Great thumping rhythum, good marching song. Nice beat. [8]
Dark Signs: Slightly more melodic (again), retains the heaviness. An album highlight [9]
Metaphor: The acoustic 'ballad'. Its well-done, Anders sings well, and its certainly different. I love it, but not sure how others will react. Still has a rhythum, don't be put off by the 'b' word.
Black And White: Stunning album closer. Excellent verse-riffing to accompany the catchyness, and the chorus is sublime. [9]
Tracks of notable mention: System, Cloud Connected, Black and White, Metaphor.
on 22 March 2004
I didn't know that much about In Flames until I heard a couple of tracks from this album on sampler CD's - so although I can't make a comparison with their other material, I can tell you if it's good in itself. It most definitely is.
The record is at the heavier end of my music collection, but as other reviewers have mentioned, there is a strong melodic side to all the tracks. There are the usual grumblings from people in this scene who think that when a band's style becomes more accessible to non-initiates, it's an _automatic_ loss of band integrity. Ignore those people, because they're stupid.
There are several stand-out tracks like 'Reroute To Remain', 'System' and 'Cloud Connected' - if you've heard any of these tracks and liked them, the rest of the album is in a very similar vein and won't disappoint
on 15 November 2003
Having only recently gotten into the Swedish metal scene, I barely knew what to expect when I ordered In Flames latest offering, "Reroute To Remain". I'd heard snippets of the album round a friends some time ago and was forever humming the chorus to the title track, so I bit the bullet and bought it for myself. First of all, it's a very good album; hugely listeneable and enjoyable. The musicianship is of a pretty high level, and contrary to what some reviewers have said I found the production quite good overall. Awesome tracks like "Reroute To Remain", "Drifter" and "Trigger" really sum up the album, combining fast thrashy rythmn sections with beautiful melodies and epic memorable choruses. The addition of a keyboard section also helps to "flesh out" the arrangements and prevent things from sounding too sparse and bare (an affliction of many metal bands at the moment).
Bad points? Alot of the songs sound the same! With the CD on random shuffle, I found myself saying "hey...hasn't this song already been on?". The song structures are at times VERY predictable, following the same pattern of scream, sing, scream, sing, etc. Also the longest track on the album is 4:58. Now I'm not usually a fan of making songs long for long's sake, but I get the feeling that on some songs, they took shortcuts to reaching the next verse/chorus in order to keep to the 3-4 minute mark, and most of my favourite songs on the album were over all too soon. The clean singing (which I understand is a new thing for In Flames) is pretty bad. The guy does NOT have a good singing voice - something which is highlighted by the god-awful track "Metaphor", which features violins straight out of the Titanic soundtrack! Lastly, I was a little dissapointed with the solos. They are quite short, and usually involve going up the pentatonic scale, holding a note, putting a bit of vibrato on it and then wham - back into the chorus. Not as technically masterful as I was hoping (nor as technically masterful as I remembered it being before I owned it...wierd). Although it could be argued that each song is one long solo, with various licks and phrases peppered here and there. So I could be wrong.
Sounds like I don't like this album right? Well hey I'm just being objective. I do however, like it alot. It's alot more accessible and ear-friendly than alot of CD's I've bought in recent times. It has some truly memorable moments, and infectiously catchy songs, blurring the line between true metal and pop based approaches to song structure. I don't know if this is In Flames at their best, so I couldn't say how it compares to earlier works. But if you're simply a fan of the genre, check it out and you'll probably quite like it.
on 7 September 2002
Its been 2 years since In Flames last studio album - Clayman. And my what a 2 years its been... The previously almost unknown band from Gothenburg Sweden are now the new black to most metal fans. The new album "Reroute to Remain" is perhaps a lighter more melancholy affair than its predecessor. The "In Flames" sound is present in bucket loads and even succeeds in my opinion in beating Claymans more riff heavy thrash nature. "Cloud Connected" ('Flames new single from the album) is a new sound altogether, mixing synth with heavy riffs to create a new "mainstream" sound, which has succeeded in easing in a new audience. The whole album is a breath of fresh air, with Anders vocals becoming more mature and bringing a slower more patient approach to the album.
In my opinion this album is the best yet. Besting even the mighty Colony and Clayman albums. With so many stand out tracks the album is a must have for those who are into Slipknot, Metallica and Linkin Park. Fans of In Flames will be enthralled right through the album, with Black And White, Cloud Connected and Trigger all trying new things and pulling off a new sound.
Five stars doesnt do this album justice. If you are a metal/ rock fan you owe to yourself to get this...
on 3 January 2004
I picked this album up, after hearing Passenger's eponymuos debut, thinking that they could do with a little bit of beefing up, as well as after hearing Soilwork's "Figure Number Five" - all of which are linked with In Flames at some time on Amazon sites. I never thought of myself as someone who would like stuff this heavy, but, I have to say, it's one of the best things I've ever done!! Especially as it's not THAT heavy (I've heard heavier, but if you want it heavier, you get it at the expense of good song-writing).
This album has everything that you could possibly want from an awesome metal album:
- Melodic breakdowns (both guitars and vocals)
- Awesome screamed vocals (which, at times, even sound melodic, too! - see "Trigger").
- The best musicianship since... since... well, ever! The guitar work, the drumming, the bass... everything is absolutely awesome and should be heard by everyone! I kid you not.
I was never a fan of Iron Maiden, deciding that I preferred Guns N Roses when I was first introduced to rock and metal back in 1990, so people saying In Flames were like Iron Maiden originally put me off, but now I see they were just speaking a load of cobblers. This is awesome, Gothenburg metal. I now own all of In Flames' albums, including the Live In Tokyo and Trigger EP. Only a little while to go until the next one's out, so start listening!
Three words: Buy. This. Album.
on 26 October 2002
The latest release from In Flames (at time of writing) is quite a good album overall but really could have been so much better. Although it is nice to see the band experiment with melodic vocals and acoustic songs they would have made a more impactous effort sticking to their trademark death style sound but moving further up the ladder in the process.
Opener 'Reroute to Remain' is very good and just this one track shows you what's ahead in the following 14 tracks. Melodic vocals, harsh riffs (some parts melodic)...the lot!
There are quite a few standout tracks here including 'Trigger', 'Black And White', 'Egonomic', 'Dawn of a New Day' and the pounding 'Transparent'.
The experimental, softer, acoustic songs 'Dawn of a New Day' and 'Metaphor' are excellent but probably will not be appreciated by fans of the earlier albums.
Good album but not one to buy first if just getting into the band. Try 'Colony' and 'Whoracle' first.