Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 February 2015
This is just great! Thank you!
on 26 August 2002
I didn't expect much when I got this album as a present. But what a surprise.. calling them "the new Radiohead" is not unfair at all. I find them more similar to Coldplay though, but their music is more ambitious and has even more of the same claustrophobic beauty all over it.
The only weakness is the middle part of the album (the best tracks are at the beginning and the end). But if you liked albums such as OK Computer and Coldplay's Parachutes, Breathe is going to be a nice addition to your collection.
on 29 December 2002
Firstly, I would like to state that this is a fine album jam-packed with beautiful tunes, though it all sounds too familiar...
For instance 'Catch' could have been lifted straight from Doves 'The Last Broadcast'. 'Silence' is reminiscent of Coldplay, 'Crazy' sounds just like Starsailor's work and there are hints of Radiohead, Embrace, Mansun, Travis, Sigur Ros and Aqualung.
I am by no means accusing them of plagiarism, but it is not greatly innovative. But hey, it is still a fine indie album, and a superb debut album from a band made-up of Icelandic semi-pro footballers!
My favourite tracks are 'Catch', 'Race', 'We' and 'Alone in the Sun', but the whole album is refreshing and very professionally made. Buy this album for your collection, it is essential listening for lovers of contemporary British Indie such as Coldplay, Doves and Starsailor.
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2002
I bought this album by the Icelandic softrockers hoping to find something that came close to the other artists mentioned in the same breath, namely the fine Elbow, beautiful Coldplay and masterful Doves.
I didn't find anything that comes close.
What I did find however is a brooding album full of heartbreak and loss that somehow manages not to be too dreary or downbeat.
Standout track for me is "We", the album closer that builds to a powerful and feedback driven finale that sounds almost Radioheadesque, both musically and vocally.
Lead singer Arnar Gudjonssen's vocals are distinctly impressive throughout wavering between Richard Ashcroft and Thom Yorke and the quality of sound and composition is also excellent.
To summarise I would recommend this album to those that want a slightly rockier coldplay with a Nordic tinge or to those that miss the sonic fun and games provided by early Verve collections.
Just don't expect anything that comes close to Elbow, Doves and definitely nowhere near Coldplay.
on 21 November 2002
From Iceland these semi-acoustic alt-folk rockers (that’s easy for you to say), are touted as the answer to Coldplay, Starsailor and Haven. Its not without real credence that these lads seem happy to break both sides of the Atlantic armed with a clutch of lazy melodies that dip and soar like a roller coaster.
Traumatised vocals and snappy single word titles are all present and correct, cue 'Catch' and 'Epitaph'.
Happily, the tunes they overlap hit the right level of honesty and frailty on the effortless glide of 'Silence' to the recognisably broken tones of Nick Drake on 'We'. Arnar Gudjonsson, like Gary Briggs, James Walsh and Chris Martin is a king of the melancholic power ballad, through the middle part his Verve -esque rockers tend to tread water, for the most part leaves sound refreshing enough to be welcomed into the misery fold.
It’ll undoubtedly be a quiet journey but watch them gently ascend the ladder of success.
on 7 September 2002
Leaves have all the ingredients to make them a sensation. They come from Reykjavík, Iceland, in a time when it is well understood that all good rock is coming from the northern lands (Sigur Rós, also from Iceland; Sahara Hotnights, (International) Noise Conspiracy/Refused, The Hives, Kent, The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, all from Sweden). And they have a great one-word name.
I was very excited to get their debut, Breathe. I ordered it from overseas in order to be one of the first Americans in-the-know. I must say, I am a little disappointed. Just a little. Still, I recommend this album, and I will try to tell you why.
Their opening track is I Go Down. A sonic wonder instantly conjuring memories of Thom Yorke's falsettos (before they became legendary). The song builds beautifully, the electric-guitar work and strings weave the way we all liked Sigur Ros' meanderings, yet the acoustic expands out like so many Coldplay songs. If the whole album were like this my star rating would be noticeably higher.
But, unfortunately, it seems Leaves leaves short where they imply to be taking us. Overall, it is a very listenable album, but all the while one cannot ignore almost obvious tributes to The Verve (without the life-changing lyrics) and Radiohead (without actually blowing our minds away) and furthermore, British contemporaries can be cited: Lorien, British Sea Power, and Doves... to name a few.
Still, these Leaves influences, while perhaps deliberate, certainly overdone by a legion of other bands, with these guys it feels almost right. It's as if these Thom Yorke's and Richard Ashcroft echoes emerge layer by layer by a sort of alchemic hocus-pocus.
There is a bonus track that evokes the ethereal fuzz-grunge epic of their fellow Icelanders Sigur Rós, though, less angelic, less magnificent. In fact, the vocals sound more Dave Gahan in his People Are People style of singing.
I guess what I am trying to say is Breathe is a good album, I'm not going to sell it secondhand, it sounds good ... it just seems like I've heard it before.
on 19 August 2002
Talented lads, Leaves. When the Icelandic five-piece aren't scribbling down new lyrics and tunes, they're playing third-division football.... nice. But what really matters here though is not their ability to do 'keepy-uppies' or bend a free kick, but whether their slow-burning debut LP, 'Breathe', can contend with the current masters of epic and eclectic Indie (e.g. Doves, Coldplay)....
Firstly, 'Breathe' doesn't sound too dissimilar from say 'Lost Souls', or 'Parachutes'; Anar Gudjonsson's vocals occasionally nodding in the direction of Jimi Goodwin, Chris Martin, and even sometimes Mansun's Paul Draper. "So, nothing new then?" you might think, but Leaves hold a particularly splendid trump card in which cleverly-timed piano hooks and guitar melodies provide the perfect picture of a claustrophobic, yet beautiful landscape ('Breathe', 'Epitaph').
However, that's not to say that the band can't write tunes of anthemic quality. Single 'Catch', 'Crazy', and a scrumptious re-working of 'Alone In The Sun' are all bold Indie-Rockers, which slide smoothly in between the more delicate moments.
An album that reveals new delights with every play, and a satisfyingly ideal remedy for the 'rocked-out' listener... check it out.
on 14 April 2003
I am surprised the average star rating hovers at only 4, as I think this album is a very accomplished debut - and give it a deserved 5 stars. It is not upbeat perse, but it is very uplifting; as the music is stirring, majestic and haunting. It does contain a more somber or serious nature to it that is often indicative of Scandinavian music, which may not be to everyone's liking.
Still, 'Breathe' has a good mix of catchy songs, as well as more gentle tracks. Though, all have great tunes and are beautifully melodic. I prefer the slower songs in general and really like "Breathe", "Epitah", "Deep Blue Day" and "We".
It is unfair to compare 'Leaves' to other bands, as they are in a league of their own. If they must be compared though, then I prefer them to both 'Coldplay' and the 'Doves'. I hadn't heard any of the songs on the album and took a gamble in buying it - I am glad I did! I highly recommend 'Breathe' and look forward to hopefully seeing a second album by this talented Icelandic band.
on 24 March 2005
I bought this on the strength of a free download song on iTunes (Shakma, which is on the follow-up album "The Angela Test") and I was certainly not disappointed.

I suppose Leaves are a little like Coldplay (although rockier). The lead singer has a kind of dirge-like voice but I think it works well. There are 11 tracks here and I like all of them except "Catch" (which just annoys me).

The album is excellent with catchy but relaxing melodies and quality production. As a first album it's very impressive, and The Angela Test, their next offering, was even better, but Breathe is still an excellent album to introduce you to Leaves.
on 24 January 2003
It is hard to believe that Leaves have only been at this game for little over a year. Admittedly, this effort can hardly be said to be original, borrowing typical indie, laid-back rhythms and handsomly predictable structure from some of the genre's most popular works. This can surely be, however, the only criticism of what is a startling record.
Leaves' frontman has exceptional talent, scaling octaves on the album's first track, I Go Down, with the kind of sumptuous clarity associated with Radiohead's Thom Yorke and Coldplay's Chris Martin.
If you can imagine a careful blend of Bends-era Radiohead and Doves, daring melodies with solid indie-rock drive, you're someway towards what Leaves sound like. The quieter moments are provided by tracks like Epitaph and I Go Down, whilst Catch and Alone in the Sun are stirring anthems.
Essential for any lover of indie. Or for that matter, anyone with ears. Stunningly listenable stuff.