Customer reviews

on 14 November 2004
I Always loved watching the Liver Birds growing up, it was one of my favourite shows for that period. My best memories are of Sandra and Carol as the Liver Birds. But watching Sandra and Beryl was just as much fun. The first episode started of really weak but soon got into the swing quickly after that. I was able to have a good laugh transporting myself back to my childhood where the Liver Birds were my escapism and I would dream of one day being like them. Thanks girls for my first memory of strong young women making there way in the world who were not afraid to wear their skirts short and talk about boys and have a laugh at life.
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 October 2002
If you enjoyed it the first time round - you will love it now. The star has to be Polly James as the hilarious original character of BERYL!! The Victoria Wood of her day!!
This is actually Series 2 and with the exception of the first episode - which is a bit weak - I suggest you skip it - I have been in stitches all the way through. I have wanted to play one after the other.- And it lasts 5 hours.
Although the humour is corny and predictable and wooden - THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT SO ENTERTAINING - I think most episodes were filmed in front of a live audience and it has the feel of a farcical stage play and when Polly and Nerys make mistakes , giggle in the wrong places, and props fall over they just carry on and carry it off. It's smut was ahead of its time and often the innuendo went over the heads of the studio audience who failed to laugh when you will.
A great piece of Nostalgia too- they talk in pounds shillings and pence and use old red telephone boxes with Push Button A and B!. If you are 40 plus you will love it - Having said that my kids (aged 9 and 11) love it too.
Hopefully Series 1 will be released too.
BUY it now!
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 May 2011
As a youth I can remember watching this series and getting pleasure from it for almost the same reasons as I do now... for the affectionate if idealised portrayal of Liverpool, my home town and where I then lived, for the gentle amd unthreatening homour and because of Nerys Hughes's amazing legs. At the age of twelve, or whatever I was then, I was not sure of these things I enjoyed the most, but looking back now I have a better idea.

But after all these years most of the good things about the show remain and although it has becaome dated, it would be impossible to claim otherwise, yes, the pleasures still remain.

Buy the DVD, if you can track it down, and remember a happier and less complicated time. And have a good laugh
on 5 July 2011
In answer to the query as to why they started with series 2 - series 1 has been wiped/destroyed and copies no longer exist.
on 28 August 2010
This I brought just because i wanted to relive my childhood memories of the series itself.
A bit dates, but what the heck, one of those great Englash seventies comedies to watch and have a laugh over.

When will they release Series 1????
on 15 September 2010
The title of my post says it all. Enjoyed this but would've much preferred to be able to watch from the very beginning.

Strange to release second series before first. Why????
on 15 April 2013
it was great then and is now,are they any more series comming out in future.if so i will get them,i hope so
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2003
This is a funny DVD it has to be said, it is nostalgic as well but will make you chuckle.
The bit I don't understand is why Series 1 (which was much better) wasn't released. Seems very strange to release an inferior second series?
Also the fact it has no extras is always annoying.
Ok but nothing special.
on 13 November 2013
I live in the United States (California).
There are some web sites that have this series on digital video disc. (region free)
My digital video disc television show collection is 98% region 1.
I was hoping to find the complete series on digital video disc, for my region.
How many seasons of this great classic show are there?
I am buying an x box one for my region at the cost of $500.00 dollars plus $40.00 tax. X box one is region free, and now I can buy this show, play games like cricket. Does any one from Liverpool or anywhere in the U.K. know of a website where I can buy the complete television show.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

on 10 August 2014