Format: DVD|Change

on 3 May 2016
I love this feel good musical because of all the catchy sing along songs. Set in the bright and optomistic times of 50's America, the film captures the mood of the time perfectly. And as for John Travolta singing "Grease Lightning", well, say no more!!!!
on 17 November 2015
One of the greatest musicals ever. Magic for all ages, wonderful. Travolta and Olivia NJ are fabulous, supporting cast including the most underrated actress ever, in one of her defining roles, Stockard Channing as the wicked, naughty, marvellously bad-girl Rizzo, leader of The Pink Ladies.
If you like musicals, do watch this, if you like or are interested in 70's / 80's pop culture do watch this, if you like high quality, throw-away, fairly light-hearted entertainment do watch this.
As my 9 year old daughter says often, "Daddy it's raining, can we do Grease please" who can say no!
on 5 August 2015
The only disadvantage about this well known musical is that it is wideskreen never mind I will still enjoy it, it was voted the best musical ever and is hardly ever of the TV, the male star has gone on to much different films now and commands the highest fees, the two stars are John Tràvolta and Olivia Newton John.
VINE VOICEon 7 December 2004
Many conversions from stage to film lose spontaneity, also one has to pick what songs to add and subtract. Of course because of the public sense of decency many things have to be cryptic. With all of these restrictions this film is able to rival the play.
You will notice that there is a smooth transition from story to dialog to song and back to story. The sound track from the movie is worth buying.
Summer vacation from high school is ending. Danny (John Travolta) and Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) standing on the beach must say goodbye. This is the beginning.
The play is basically of two people Danny and Sandy adjusting to each other while maintaining their respective places in high school society. We see a text book school environment which no one had but parts of the story touch on everyone's life.
Will Danny give up his gang and become a jock just to impress Sandy?
Or will Sandy say goodbye to Sandra Dee to impress Danny?
And who gets the hickey for Kinicke?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 June 2015
I always wanted to see it. I saw a few snippets on Youtube but never the whole film. It is lovely, clean family film. Olivia Newton-jones and John Travolta are great actors. I love the songs too.
I watched under my Prime membership films. Great..
on 29 July 2013
I watched this again and again as a teenager. There's so many memories, such flashbacks... I just have to love it! (my review would be *way* different if I was watching this for the first time!)

My daughter's (9 y.o) comment may be better than mine:
"She was such a nice, friendly, well behaved girl at the beginning of the movie- why did she have to start smoking and dress awfully to feel happier ? Also, don't you tell us to be proud of who we are, and that we do not have to act differently just to please the crowd ?"
I did have a hard time explaining her how could I like such movie (I blamed it on the "nice singing")

So, beware: enjoy it again if you have to - but, like any guilty pleasure, do it when your kids are not watching!
on 15 December 2015
Well if you haven't seen Grease where have you been living?

You'll either already know that you love it, in which case buy it, or that you don't, in which case why are you looking at this?

Buy it and sing along.
on 23 April 2013
Picture quality is an improvement over the DVD, Bright colours and looks the best it could. The sound has alway been an issue for me, It never seems to be quite right. Its clear and bright but as its a musical with a lot of good music it just does not seem to transfer to a surround track. I think its just one of those films that should remain as a stereo soundtrack. The extras are the same as the DVD but as I said the picture is worth the upgrade to blu ray.
on 18 February 2014
Happy memories from taking my then girlfriend who I later married to the pictures to watch this one. I was not sure whether I was doing the right thing as previously I took her to see saturday Night Fever and whereas I loved the music I thought the film was pretty boring. However, Grease - well Grease is the word! Just fantastic!
on 2 October 2013
Reasonably priced and appropriately packaged. I am currently in the middle of rehearsals for this musical- we perform in the near future so I need to familiarise myself with the songs, dances and costumes which is why this DVD is perfect. DVD playback is great quality too. Grease is still one of the best musicals in history. Thank you to the seller and Amazon for great service!