Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£49.17+ £1.26 shipping

on 24 August 2003
A wonderful collection of four Barbra Streisand films previously unreleased on DVD. My favourite has to be "What's Up Doc?" which, even after 30 years, remains a funny and refreshing couple of hours of entertainment as it did then; completely whacky, it's a bit like an American Carry On film.
"Nuts" shows Streisand's versatility as an actress, a powerful performance by her and co-star Richard Dreyfuss.
"Up The Sandbox" is a strange film, that I admit to not really understanding - but it is funny in places.
"The Main Event" isn't a wonderful film, but for a Barbra Streisand fan like myself, it's still pretty damn excellent.
The collection is really for Barbra Streisand fanatics, but even if you don't like her that much you're bound to find one or two of the films highly entertaining. And for the price Amazon is asking - for FOUR DVD's - how could you go wrong?
22 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2017
What's Up Doc is an extremely funny film with Barbra Streisand at her wacky best, but I think that Ryan O'Neal's performance is better as the innocent caught up in what is quite a complicated plot.
A genuine screwball movie, directed by Peter Bogdanovitch, an often underrated director.
I haven't yet watched the other films in the set, as What's Up Doc was the one I really wanted to see having enjoyed it tremendously when it first came out.
on 3 September 2011
Streisand and O'Neal (the latter surely one of the most unfulfilled talents in film history) struggle badly with a lame script and story. The film is just about watchable thanks to Streisand's screwball characterisation of the reluctant boxing manageress and O'Neal's sensitive depiction of the Rocky-esque underdog fighter. However it watches as a series of comic episodes rather than as a coherent whole. Further, in the second half of the film, the story, already straining credibility, takes a turn for the downright ridiculous. A waste of two great talents. I wouldn't spend any money on this one.

On the technical side, the DVD transfer is pretty good, with generally acceptable picture quality and mono sound.
on 30 November 2015
It was great to see this film again after so many years.
on 24 March 2016
Fantastic, I love Ms. Streisand!
on 5 October 2013
If you are after a nice mix of the talents of Barbra Streisand, then this book set will be the one for you.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 May 2005
'What's Up Doc?' is a fabulous film, endlessly rewatchable, totally madcap, brilliantly scripted, cast, directed, you name it. A total success.
'Nuts' is highly watchable, if you like Barbra Streisand, has good support from Richard Dreyfuss, and... well, it's all a bit predictable and sentimental.
'Up the Sandbox' is a minor film that's like the curate's egg. I like the idea of the film, and Barbra's performance is unusually understated. But there are too many very long daydream sequences that are really quite tedious and unbalance the film. Not bad though, if you're a fan.
'The Main Event' is a tedious boxing movie starring a heavy-looking Ryan O'Neal and a Barbra desperately trying to move the leaden plot along. Very, very boring and badly done.
It's a nice set nonetheless, with some good extra features. Each film has a commentary by either Barbra or the director, and the commentary was recorded in 2003, so offers an interesting perspective. There's even a cute documentary about the making of 'Up the Sandbox'.
All in all, a good set, which I think many people will buy just to get 'What's Up Doc?' on DVD.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2011
I bought this boxset just for `What's Up Doc?' and haven't even watched the other three. My mum did watch `The Main Event' and thought it was alright but nothing compared to What's Up. I have to say that `What's Up Doc?' has been one of my favourite films since I was a kid - I love everything about it and watch it more frequently than any other film in my collection! Casting is superb and Madeline Kahn is a delight. `What's Up Doc?' is the only Streisand film I have ever enjoyed though I have watched `Hello Dolly' (entertaining enough) and a little bit of `Funny Girl'.
This boxset is well worth the money even if you only want it for one of the films. I've certainly got my money's worth as I watch `What's Up Doc?' about once a month! There is a quote from the film that I think sums up how I feel about how good it is ... "You can't fight a tidal wave." For me it is a tidal wave of humour!
on 3 June 2010
To be honest I only wanted What's Up Doc which is a brilliant film. If What's New Pussycat had been part of this collection I would have said it was a fantastic collection, but it's not so it's not. It doesn't matter however as the price was so reasonable that it was still worth it just for What's UP Doc.
on 16 September 2013
What's Up Doc is one of my all time fave films and I thought it would be easy to source it on DVD. If you have reached this page then you will have had the same dilemma as me. I bought the box set purely for that film as it was the easiest and most economical way to get it on PAL DVD. The film is brilliant and still makes me laugh out loud and Barbra Streisand is gorgeous in it. Shame the rest of the films in the box set were some of her more obscure material. I may watch them some day. But, if you buy this just for WUD then you won't be disappointed.