• X

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 August 2002
Hmmm...I was really looking forward to this album, and I have to say after reading the hype I was expecting bits of Euphoria mixed with Slang. Unfortunately, the guys seem to have gone a bit downhill. Gone are the explosive raw guitar edge-strewn tunes, replaced with some poppy S Club backing sound that feels a bit too manufactured for my liking. The songs themselves don't have the fresh feeling of Euphoria, nor the catchiness of Hysteria. It all feels a bit...tired. Joe seems to be going through the motions, and I really don't know how many more "lurrrrrrve" songs I can stomach. Come on guys, where are the trademark hooks? Def Leppard aren't supposed to be about squelchy syntho-guitar pop. This is more like Adrenalize-Lite minus the singalong bits (with the exceptions of Unbelievable and Scar).
I hope they return to form with their next album.
on 3 January 2014
Definitely worth a listen! I mainly purchased this album as it was missing from my collection - & I am so glad I did, fans will love this! I know I did!!!
on 13 August 2013
give this 5 stars,delievery was fast and efficient,well worth the money i would recomend to anyone ,love it well chilled now i have this cd
on 24 September 2013
An album I'd been looking for a long time. Liked the songs although not as heavy as some of the earlier albums was still a good listen.
on 29 March 2014
Fantastic album from Def Leppard. I am in the process of getting all of the band's albums to get a collection of great songs...
on 12 January 2014
Love def leopard, needed to replace my collection so this was good price good quality and keeps me going in the car
on 22 June 2013
Not as good as there older stuff. Bit too commercial for my liking. Sill some decnt tracks on it though.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2015
A much better album than I expected,well worth getting for leppard fans,or fans of ballads.
on 20 September 2015
Great cd. If you are a fan of def Leppard.
on 11 January 2015
I'm a huge Def Leppard fan. A loan of their "Hysteria" album in 1987 changed my musical preferences forever, and I've counted them as my favourite band ever since. Much like with my favourite novelist, Stephen King, I've spent the last few years getting everything I can on the day of release and enjoying it but, often ending up disappointed in some way.

This album was different. This album had managed to worry me before it had even been released! The first cause of concern was that Joe Elliott's hair now looks like one of the Gallagher brothers from Oasis, only blonde. So I worried they were going indie. My second worry was that they'd taken to working with a couple of producers who had previously worked with Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys. It's fair to say that Def Leppard were always on the softer, poppier side of rock, but I didn't want them suddenly being on the rockier side of pop! The DJ at my favourite rock club had already termed them "Deflife" after playing the single.

Musically, my concern was that the lead single from the album, "Now", wasn't really all that impressive, and the available snippets from the website didn't inspire much more hope. Worse was to come when the NME rated the album very highly indeed. They did the same with Terrorvision's "Shaving Peaches" album, which turned out to be the worst of the band's career. They also called it "the best rock album since Andrew WK's 'I Get Wet'." Damned with faint praise, maybe, as that album is only about a year old and wasn't actually all that good! I'd hope that this would be better than that.

Needless to say, my plans involved going over the road and buying the album in WHSmith at lunch. I'd got a call from a colleague, whose girlfriend is as big as fan as I am, who said that there'd been a mix up, and they only had 4 copies in, one of which he'd reserved. He advised me to do the same. I decided to take my chances. Sure enough, by 12 'o' clock, they'd failed to sell a single copy. This was not looking at all good!

And so home, and to the CD player on my PC. The book I'd also talked myself into buying before I left the shop had turned out to be very good, and so I was hoping I'd be in luck twice. Plus, there was the inclusion of a second bonus track that I thought was only going to be on the Japanese version of the album, according to the website.

The album flies by rapidly, even for just short of an hour. Not because it's so good you forget where you are, but because it fades into the background, and passes you by whilst you're doing something else. You realise that it's there only at a few points, and mostly after it's stopped.

It's the traditional sound of Def Leppard, polished soft-rock, with harmonies running through most of the album. There's some big ballads, some rockier tunes, all with the guitars close to the fore and Joe Elliott's distinctive, slightly rough vocals in front of it all.

Overall, I'm not going to be disappointed. Def Leppard have managed to not go indie, or too pop, or become like any of the other bands the NME fawns over. What they have done is become themselves again. They borrow from various different parts of their own back catalogue, meaning that the sound and style jumps about like a "Greatest Hits" album, without the same quality you get from an album of that type.

Phil Collen has recently said that "looking back, 'X' is the album that should have followed 'Hysteria'." He could well be right. It's not as good as "Hysteria" by any means, but would bridge the gap between that and 1995's "Slang" better than 1992's "Adrenalize" did. The problem with that statement is that this is an album that would have been perfect 10 years ago. Now, it sounds like something that's been done before, and by the same band.

This is by no means a bad album, and there is no way you'll mistake it for anything other than a Def Leppard album. But it's not their best, and the band seem to be looking back enviously at the 10 million plus sales of "Hysteria", or having seen "Vault" in the US Top 200 for nearly every week since it was released in 1995, rather than concentrating on where they want to go. It's not a step backwards as such, but it's a side shuffle with a glance over the shoulder.

As a Def Leppard fan, I don't begrudge the £13 I bought the album for, as it does fit in nicely alongside their back catalogue and into my collection. If you're into soft rock generally, and not the band, or are looking for an introduction to the band, I would recommend going to their back catalogue for 1995's Greatest Hits album, "Vault" or 1987's "Hysteria", still one of the great soft rock albums. Eventually in time you may come back to this, but it's not the place to start.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse