• Rise

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

I can understand why this album disappoints some of Kim Richey's fans (this is very different from Kim's earlier albums) but I can also understand why other fans love this album - and I am in the second group. Played as background music, all the songs may well sound similar. This album is definitely unsuitable as background music at least until you have played it enough to be familiar with it.
Produced by Bill Bottrell, who has previously with Sheryl Crow and Shelby Lynne among others, this album definitely needs a few plays to be appreciated although Kim sings as good as ever. I have not followed Kim's career closely but I get the impression that she was at a point in her life where there was a lot of uncertainty. Kim spends a lot of time remembering the past and wondering what the future might hold. Most of the songs are slow, reflective ballads with a bluesy feel to them. Kim even sings a song about good memories (The circus song) reflectively, rather than making it into an upbeat, joyful song.
The tempo picks up a little on No judges, which some people interpret as a gospel song. It could be, but then again it could be a simple love song - or just a song about forgiveness. The tempo picks up a little more on the next track, This love. Again some might interpret this as a gospel song (and it contains references to Jerusalem\) Again, it might be but I interpret it as a love song. It's back to normal for this album with Good day here, in which Kim tries to prevent somebody digging up the past, thus potentially spoiling a good day. After two further mellow tracks, the tempo picks up once more for the final track, Cowards in a brave new world, thus ending the album on a cheerful note.
This is a very mellow, often melancholy, album that may not suit everybody but, after a few spins, I quite enjoy it.
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2007
I got this album before the earlier Bitter Sweet one, which I like even more. This one took a while to grow on me but I keep coming back to it. Her voice and timing is superb and the songs an interesting mix (they really are not all the same at all). They tend towards the nostalgic and autumnal but some are livelier - No Judges could almost be Anne McCue and This Love and The Circus Song are catchy. But my favourite is A Place Called Home - quite haunting.
on 19 March 2006
I love this Kim Richey album. After each play the songs go on in my memory and I wake to them in the morning. I would call them beguiling. The lyrics are perfectly realised and often have a lovely, yearning quality. Voice and instruments blend with a natural ease and rightness: a work of dedicated artistry. Though you may play them again and again, some rare albums keep their freshness, don't they? For me, this is one of them.
on 19 October 2016
I am not a big fan of country music, but when I heard the song " A place like home" on Youtube, I immediately loved it.
Kim Richey has a so beautiful voice and a so great songwriting that I have changed my mind.
on 23 July 2015
When I first got this I liked the first two tracks and thought the rest was a bit lightweight. But the more you play it the better it gets. Very well crafted songs, great lyrics, terrific voice.
on 15 November 2014
easy listening country with pop overtones...or is it the other way round! :)
on 28 August 2015
One of her good ones.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2004
after her first 3 cd's,this is a real disappointment. Not very melodic, most tracks sound the same, and a bit of a downer to be honest.A very depressing album. Try "Kim Richey" (1995),"Bitter Sweet" (1997), and "Glimmer" (1999) instead, they are all magnificent albums. The songs on "Rise" are just second rate I am sorry to say, I wish I hadn't bought it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse