Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 January 2013
this was a real good buy for my grandaughter she loves JB anyway but even so she really did enjoy this pressie and i got help with my shoppin haha
on 20 March 2017
DISSAPOINTED
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2010
When I first this got thi cd, it brought me back to the days of "So Tough." Very similar formula and in a good way!

This is well worth having, paricularly for the great second disc, which has lots of qaulity tracks and in my opnion almost comes across as a mini ablum.

Much better than the second discs of Foxbase Alpha and So Tough, whereas those ones you'd likely listen to once or twice.

This one is a keeper.
on 13 October 2002
St Etienne are the epitemy of inoffensive, melancholy and beatiful. I find myself smiling to their music, but they also can make you cry. I think you either love or loathe Sarah Cracknells voice and accordingly this has a big bearing on your opinion of their music. I happen to love it.
Finisterre has two weak tracks. B92 and The Way We Live Now. Every one of their previous albums has the odd duffer though. Tiger Bay being the only exception. The rest of the album is a mix of electro upbeat pop and wispy vocal stuff. The best tracks are the more upbeat ones including Action, Amateur, Soft Like Me and, in my opinion Shower Scene and New Thing are the two best tracks.These two might just get you off your seat for a jig around the room !
This isnt an album with St Etienne trying a new direction. It's a mixture of what they do best. Heart warming, thought provoking, bring a smile to your face music.
Do your self a favour. Ditch the umpteen manufactured, sound alike, R & B, how much swearing can I get into one album type of music and re-educate your music brain. Take a trip to St Etienne.
Welcome back Sarah, Bob and Pete.
on 1 October 2002
The Saint Etienne album I've been waiting for.
Foxbase Alpha enchanted.
So tough impressed, but wasn't quite as coated with magical pop stardust.
Tiger Bay seemed effortless, yet seemed to find the band on a higher plane.
Good Humor was nice(not very descriptive I know, but as far as I'm willing to go), where they seemed to think they were The Cardigans(The Cardigans meanwhile seemed to think they were Garbage, but that's another story)
The sound of water very nearly hit a home run, but as like other pop favourites Pet Shop Boys, Saint Etienne always seem to work better with a little extra input and make magnificent singles & remixes, ie Tell me why, He's on the phone & Heart failed in the back of a taxi.
This album seems to take the main ingredients from Foxbase Alpha and add that little something extra, that their singles possess.
If they carry on like this, Nothing can stop them now!
on 23 May 2010
I am a nurse working in an Old Peoples Home and they all Boogie Down to it.

It really gets them Going!!!!!=)

Thanks a lot Justin for making a whole lot of OLD PEOPLE very HAPPY????????
on 20 December 2002
Well, I'd heard lots of remixes of Saint Etienne, I read the reviews here but the music doesn't live up to either... sigh.
Maybe I just don't get it, but this really doesn't amount to much more than a bad late-60's, early 70's concept album with pop tracks that could have been recorded by any of the current set of TV created pop groups.
However, I did find light at the end of the tunnel, both Action and Shower Scene are excellent tracks and very catchy.
Dunno, perhaps its becuase I was actually around in the early seventies, worked in tha Barbican for a couple of years and recognise Michael Jaystons voice in the pointless interludes that put me off.
on 8 November 2014
Fantastic CD with songs of the quality you expect.
on 14 December 2002
Best St.Etienne album: Finisterre or Tiger Bay? Tough one as this album features some of the band's best and most instantly listenable tracks for years, and Tiger Bay has been my favourite album for ages. 'Shower scene' and 'New thing' stand out by miles, although the opener 'Action', the second tune 'Amateur' and the third (instrumental) 'Language lab', state their intentions up front for this pop-orientated, synth-driven collection of gold nuggets.
Whilst I found the film samples between tracks on So Tough interesting and original, I really think St.Etienne have done it to death now, and I especially cringe everytime I hear the 'Have you ever been to a Harvester before?' intro. There's no need.
on 19 February 2016
Daughter was delighted with this item!